The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yeti101

Tormented

Savlia Divinorum, the Green lady, is tormenting me. I dreamt last night that a plant had survived in a corner of my garden, even there, the first thing I did was take a cutting :) . Seriously though, I think about it, I miss it, I want it back. Perhaps I should have written that I want 'her' back, since her personality seemed so distinct to me, which is funny because I often claim not to believe in that sort of thing.

I got rid of all of my plants once I knew it was illegal to even grow them, and even though I know it was the most prudent course of action (if you can't do the time, don't do the crime - and I have no stomach for incarceration), I still regret doing this.

The worst thing is that there seems nothing that can be done in Australia. This really frustrates me when I read about places where salvia bans fail or are amended to prohibit sales to minors, because something can be done there (mostly because they have a legislative process for scheduling). My feelings of powerlessness, combined with the pictures of monster Sal.div plants on eDot are producing profound feelings of anger and resentment. I don't want to feel like that. So I know I have to let it/her go until I can afford to move to California or somewhere like that, where they let adults actually make their own decision on this plant.

Anyway, I'm done venting now. I know I don't need to tell any of you this - but don't go PMing me about anything that you ought not to (and I really, really mean that).

(Edit - my spelling/grammar sucks)

Edited by Yeti101

Salvia will be scheduled in the US before long. One state got its scheduling challenged (and amended to 18+ purchasing) by a nooker, but otherwise there is 0 attendance at the challenging venue (something I sorely wish we had here!) and so a few states have passed legislation with more to come.

If you want to follow the law, then nothing can be done about growing Salvia divinorum, currently. You might be able to take up some sort of legal challenge (I doubt it, pretty sure the TGA is beheld unto none, so to say) but nothing of the sort will allow you to legally grow a plant in short order :(

Those willing to skirt the law don't seem to have much trouble procuring this plant.

Edited by Sina

Salvia will be scheduled in the US before long.

You got that right. It's a bit like LSD all over again, people just won't learn the lessons of history.

One state got its scheduling challenged (and amended to 18+ purchasing) by a nooker, but otherwise there is 0 attendance at the challenging venue (something I sorely wish we had here!) and so a few states have passed legislation with more to come.
See, this really shits me, all those people in the US moaning about this situation and they can't be arsed doing anything constructive, which is awful because they actually could do something, unlike here.
If you want to follow the law, then nothing can be done about growing Salvia divinorum, currently. You might be able to take up some sort of legal challenge (I doubt it, pretty sure the TGA is beheld unto none, so to say) but nothing of the sort will allow you to legally grow a plant in short order :(

I do have my thinking cap on with regard to legal aspects, but the TGA has it covered from pretty much every angle I can see. No matter how good an argument you can come up with, or how good the science is to back you up if you are at the wrong end of an inequitable power relationship, you are going to get screwed. I'm very mindful of staying within the law though not because I particularly respect it, so there will be no Sally for me in the foreseeable future. I have so much trouble accepting that there is nothing that I (or indeed any number of people) can do and it is not healthy. I suppose I'll end up as one of those eccentric letter-writing cranks. Having said that, if one were to indulge in the symbolic (read futile) exercise of complaining to the TGA etc, I wonder what would be the best thing to write?

I would complain about the way it stifles the Aus scientific research community doing any more work on it.

The funny thing about the US attitude (judging from the posts on the nook) is that most people DONT care, even though they whinge about how dumb the laws are their opinion is that those who own the plant or care about it can get one and once its scheduled then too bad for those who didn't. (and they prefer it like that)

Well, I just got my little lady delivered a couple of weeks ago, and she is starting to thrive, even though it's been cold. I've been waiting to grow one of these for years, and even though I now live in a country where it's still legal (although not for long, it looks like), and I made a few deals they all went wrong for one reason or another.

Good point though, Yeti: "No matter how good an argument you can come up with, or how good the science is to back you up if you are at the wrong end of an inequitable power relationship, you are going to get screwed."

Salvia will be scheduled in the US before long.

This is incorrect.

For example... in North Carolina it will be legal to grow Salvia divinorum, but not consume it.

The funny thing about the US attitude (judging from the posts on the nook) is that most people DONT care, even though they whinge about how dumb the laws are their opinion is that those who own the plant or care about it can get one and once its scheduled then too bad for those who didn't. (and they prefer it like that)

Ya the nook is like that.

Edited by Teotz'

This is incorrect. For example... in North Carolina it will be legal to grow Salvia divinorum, but not consume it.

What's your basis for this claim?