The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
notanaddict

Pictures of mushrooms...

I was wondering if anyone could help me ID these?

They are groing in woodmulch man made "forrest" in a sydney park area. Lots of rain an periods of sun has made the place mushroom heaven but these are the first ones that resemble anything that might be promising... all help would be appreciated..'

post-4407-1208826147_thumb.jpg

post-4407-1208826202_thumb.jpg

post-4407-1208826266_thumb.jpg

i too can garuantee that they certainly are not cubensis (a warm weather dung lover). they are also not P subaeruginosa which is what you should be looking for at this time of year, they are not active and i wouldnt advise that you eat them. good luck hunting

I believe they classify as LBMs. Little Brown Mushrooms.

Is it seriously that hard for people to go to a library and find mushroom field guides? Its how I learned. Try looking for a book called psilocibes and their allies. I know for a fact they have it at the library at the university of new south wales.

Seem to remember being a little dickhead when I was a teenager and ripping any pictures of psilocybes out of library books... making it rather hard to find reference to them. But dude, we are living in the age of the internet, (which at time I find a triffle fucked up) google "psilocybe mushrooms" and look for references to ones that grow in or near sydney... there is bound to be a few pictures? either that or use the search engine here, (up there on the right hand side of the screen) as has been said, you want to be looking for psilocybe subaeruginosa. Many pictures of which exist here...

This is way way more than friends and I had when we started searching... we relied on mushroom hunting field guides, (with shit drawings) dreams, and hunches - eventually this all paid off and we found shrooms.... they have found me ever since, or did they find me then...

dunno

peace

m

I have been to 6 different bookstores and none of them have any books on mushrooms... I eventually ordered some on amazon, but they don't get here till late may:(

Dude,

If you really need literature on the subject do not go past Paul Stamets - Psilocybin mushrooms of the world. This will sort you out no matter where you live in the world :) Actually if you want to buy it pm me... i don't really need my copy any more and I'm kinda poor... anyhow. buy that or just search the web for pictures and Id guides... shrooms are all around you probably or just a short drive or train ride away.

they will find you when you are ready bro.

peace

certainly NOT cubensis.

I thought cubensis were a northern american species. I've got a book of australian fungi and they don't get a mention.

regarding all the slandering..

perhaps he just wanted to know what they were?

maybe some other kind of active he wasn't aware of that this friendly community might shed some light on him for rather than giving him shit?

He.. is actually a chick... that just wanna learn while I'm waiting for my books to arrive..

meanies - thanks, but that's actually one of the books I already ordered:)

i wasn't giving her shit, i was just asking a question.

well now that it is fairly well assumed the posted pictures are not of what are commonly referred to as 'gold tops', notanaddict maybe in the future the ID thread is more appropriate for unknown species pictures.

I know i have posted unknowns in the regular myc forum in the past although usually with 'ID' placed in the header.

so im not hassling or anything i just think it helps for future searches to know what is what and using 'ID' and possible latin names (p.cubensis) can help eliminate further posts of confusion and uncertainty in relation to already fairly well documented species.

also i think a guide to basic digital photography could help everyone here as the last bunch of fungi pics, not just these, are blury as all hell!

peace x

edit: not meant to sound as bitchy as it might. :wub:

Edited by husk

regarding all the slandering..

perhaps he just wanted to know what they were?

maybe some other kind of active he wasn't aware of that this friendly community might shed some light on him for rather than giving him shit?

I don't see any slandering here or any1 giving him shit, just giving advice aswell as providing ID that they are atleast not wat he thought they were.

However it does look like u r trolling, so go phish sumwhere else.

woops. seems i missed a bit of this thread! Notan thats great that you have ordered the paul stamets book, it is comprehensive with regard to different type of psilocybe/mushrooms containing psilocin or psilocybin in them in Australia and round the globe. It is also well worth pulling up a comfy chair and searching through this forum for info on where, when, how and what to look for - though I'm sure you already are or have. Best of luck in your huntings and yeah woops sorry for calling you bro, sis

Hope my post here doesn't seem out of context with regard to those before

peace

First, golds grow in dung (cow) after some decnet rain then sun, at least let one day of sun,

They turn blue if you accidently stand on them/crush them

Been told they can gow all year if your in a sub-tropical area!!

Also when picking the legal edibles use a paper bag, so they don't sweat/age too much.

Also i find wearing thongs good if there's heaps of rain.

And finally if looking/admiring the gold top variety, look for dry patties(relativily-rain), and they tend to like the old patties that have grass around it/think it protects the fragile fella's.

Be smart

Be happy

Spacemonk is on the money about cubes, but im not sure i agree with the 'a least let one day of sun'. In my friends experience one day of sun can dry out the mushies completely, and sometimes destroy them, the first sunny day after rains is a good time to check the dung, id go with not too late in the day, having said that the day after that may see some new growths too.

Pace and no offence spacemonk you were on the money,

Mind