The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Taxman

Inactive subs

Hey kids,

I'm new to the blue mountains, but I'm in the swing of seeking out the subs. It's wicked fun, except for all the little brown phonies! I have read topics talking about inactive subs, just wondering what the go is? Do they only occur early in the season, and are they completely devoid of psilocybin? I wonder if anyone has done a study of potency throughout the season.

Cheers

hunting is fun but can be a bit frustrating until you get the hang of it, so many mushrooms that look similar until you get up close! never heard of inactive subs, are the threads your talking about on here? might have to go have a read

Yeah I haven't heard of inactive subs, either.. Make sure you're picking the right ones!

Hey kids,

I'm new to the blue mountains, but I'm in the swing of seeking out the subs. It's wicked fun, except for all the little brown phonies! I have read topics talking about inactive subs, just wondering what the go is? Do they only occur early in the season, and are they completely devoid of psilocybin? I wonder if anyone has done a study of potency throughout the season.

Cheers

Yeah it sounds like a close lookalike to me, but not subs... be REALLY REALLY careful that you ID them properly! You don't want to find a Galerina and think it's a sub or else your weekend will go something like this: :shroomer: = :blink: = :wacko: = :puke: = :innocent_n:

Yeah its scary how sub like the Galerina can look from above somtimes. Fooled me plenty of times untill closer inspection

or maybe are you on anti-depressents or something? I -think- SSRIs like Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil etc could block the effects

is the main difference:

galerina has brown gills and brown stem

subs have darker brown gills and white stem?

As stated, be very very careful - gallerina can look very similar to subs and will make you one very, very sick person, best case scenario.

They can be very similar in appearance...

Juicy sub? -

post-1432-1208518351_thumb.jpg

Nope, deadly gallerina -

post-1432-1208518452_thumb.jpg post-1432-1208518505_thumb.jpg

And side by side comparison of a gallerina (from above) and a sub -

post-1432-1208519164_thumb.jpg post-1432-1208519210_thumb.jpg

post-1432-1208518452_thumb.jpg

post-1432-1208518505_thumb.jpg

post-1432-1208519164_thumb.jpg

post-1432-1208519210_thumb.jpg

post-1432-1208518452_thumb.jpg

post-1432-1208518505_thumb.jpg

post-1432-1208519164_thumb.jpg

post-1432-1208519210_thumb.jpg

In the above pics, note the differences - gallerina has rusty brown spores, and orange gills, and has a ring on the stem. The stem is brown in colour as opposed to a sub which has an off white/grey stem.

Wicked post dude - that could save some lives - there arent any subs that dont stain blue. There are a few hypholoma spcies in NSW that look like subs that dont stain blue but chances are they are poisonous considering their relatives.

peave, bluemeanie