The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
archaicrevivalist

El Cheapo Ebay Pressure Cookers

Hey everyone... I'm looking in to buying a pressure cooker as cheap as I can, although I obviously don't want something really shitty...

you've probably seen these $35 7 litre ones on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-7Litre-Spanish-...1QQcmdZViewItem

they are so cheap.... are they any good?? or is it just not worth it, coz I can't really see what the difference would be, but then again I've never owned or used a pressure cooker...

and I'm leaning towards this one too...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/P002-11-LTR-Pressur...1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks alot in advance, any input is much appreciated, I just don't want to waste what little money I have! cheers...

Ask the sellers what PSI they run at :) Bet you they are around 7 PSI. You want one that runs at around 15 PSI.

Semi-sort-of-on-this topic... :blush: Anybody know of good places in Melbourne to purchase pressure-cookers? I've been to a few stores and they've all been either crazily priced or non-existent. Also, the shipping on eBay is gouge-tastic from what i've seen. :huh:

Hi all :lol:

totally new to this shroom stuff but hope its relevant-

is the pressure measured by the weight of the thing on top? If so...

I've picked up a few 15lbs pressure cookers from life line type shops $5-$10- still with good seals- one of the things on top (not sure what this is called) :huh: has unscrewable layers so you can reduce pressure to 10 & 5 lbs-

Edited by salem13

Guest Øskorei

I have just inherited a kickarse one from a dead rello, so if anyone needs my old PC, a cookmaster I think, please let me know. No cash wanted, just a trade for some weed perhaps. Pickup only, from Burwood (NSW) area. Comes with a brand-new, un-used seal that I bought for $15 and never used.

PM enquiries only so as not to clutter this thread.

Guest Øskorei

LMAO, that link to the "7 Litre Spanish" with the stylised montage of Jamie Oliver looks like junk. More a glorified steamer than anything else.

PCookMain.jpg

LMAO, that link to the "7 Litre Spanish" with the stylised montage of Jamie Oliver looks like junk. More a glorified steamer than anything else.

PCookMain.jpg

It's a pity you're not more south-wise, i'm jonesing for something to... cook my veggies at high pressure :devil:

And fucking LOL at that image, i saw it a few weeks ago on ebay and was like "Is that...J...Jamie Oliver!? Yikes..."

for $29 I would go with the spanish model - if you find you don't the level of sterilisation after say 30 mins - increase the time. and use a good technique - for example, when making spawn, cook it the day before and let all the bacterial endospores germinate. then put it through the PC.

I got mine from here

http://pressurecooker.com.au/Pressure%20Cookers.html

the 22lt hawkins - wait a few months and they will probably have a sale.

Man, that hawkins contraption is a beast! You could fit a small child in that thing... How low would you suggest i go litres-wise? For example, how many jars of... carrots or, uh, broccoli would fit to the litre?

I'm probably looking at one of the lower-end ones. Poor student style. :rolleyes:

Edited by Echo_

Man, that hawkins contraption is a beast! You could fit a small child in that thing... How low would you suggest i go litres-wise? For example, how many jars of... carrots or, uh, broccoli would fit to the litre?

I'm probably looking at one of the lower-end ones. Poor student style. :rolleyes:

It really depends on the design, the Hawkins is a silly design in that the lid has to be up inside the cooker before it closes. I can fit 8 1 litre jars in mine - I would get the biggest one you can afford. My first one was 6 liters which lasted me for a few years. it just means you have to do more runs.

:)

I purchased a 20 litre 1930's pressure cooker off ebay for $0.50 USD, fucker goes up to 20psi, the pressure gague still works as well.

Yeah I looked into getting a nice large second hand PC from the US of ebay, nice and cheap until you have to pay postage. From memory the postage costs were from US$70 to $100. Way out to much :(.

It really depends on the design, the Hawkins is a silly design in that the lid has to be up inside the cooker before it closes. I can fit 8 1 litre jars in mine - I would get the biggest one you can afford. My first one was 6 liters which lasted me for a few years. it just means you have to do more runs.

:)

8 x 1 litres! :drool2:

How many/which size jars did you use for the 6 litre? My FOAF has only used the steaming method thus far on 250ml jars, hence all the questions, and has suffered no contams so far (fingers super crossed) due to crazy-clean-OCD-tendencies. Regardless, luck will only last so long! At least he's developed a good technique to carry over to better equipment.

I purchased a 20 litre 1930's pressure cooker off ebay for $0.50 USD, fucker goes up to 20psi, the pressure gague still works as well.

:blink: That's an amazing bargain compared to the full on sniping-fests i've seen recently on eBay for the cheaper pressure cookers. How much was shipping??

8 x 1 litres! :drool2:

How many/which size jars did you use for the 6 litre? My FOAF has only used the steaming method thus far on 250ml jars, hence all the questions, and has suffered no contams so far (fingers super crossed) due to crazy-clean-OCD-tendencies. Regardless, luck will only last so long! At least he's developed a good technique to carry over to better equipment.

I think it is 8 maybe 7 - either way it is plenty. when I had the 6 liter I think I fit 2 of the large pasta jars. which is still a fair bit of grain if your going to case it. :)

if your friend has had no contams with just steaming I think things can only get better. there is no such thing as 'too careful' with fungi!! eventualy he will lose a couple of jars. doesn't matter, just make more! :)

If looking on ebay for cookers it may be better to do a international search for "pressure canner" instead of cooker.

When I last looked postage was anywhere from 55-90US with a 22qt presto costing 60-70US, so at the top end 160US for a 22qt seems pretty cheap to me, they occasionally have second hand bargains aswell.

At greenliving, about the only aus canning place I have seen on the net the 22qt Presto is going for around 350AU.

Occasionally target I think has 7lt Magfesa's for around $35.

Occasionally target I think has 7lt Magfesa's for around $35.

:drool2:

That sounds more like it! The 22 litre behemoths are way too far out of my price range and paying $100+ for shipping just seems unfair.

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled at the local target. :wub:

Edited by Echo_

:drool2:

That sounds more like it! The 22 litre behemoths are way too far out of my price range and paying $100+ for shipping just seems unfair.

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled at the local target. :wub:

I think buying the cheaper cooker is a good idea to begin with. If you find fungi isn't for you you don't need to feel bad about buying an expensive pressure cooker. :)

That's an amazing bargain compared to the full on sniping-fests i've seen recently on eBay for the cheaper pressure cookers. How much was shipping??

It was $50USD for the shipping, still a bargin for the size and pressure this vessel can take, and making new seals from clark rubber works a treat.

hey all, thanks for the help, much appreciated...

i've decided to go for the 8L Fagor future..... it's on sale for $120 at pressurecooker.com.au, which I think is more than half price, and it runs at 8 + 15 psi.

cheers all!

Edited by archaicrevivalist

hey all, thanks for the help, much appreciated...

i've decided to go for the 8L Fagor future..... it's on sale for $120 at pressurecooker.com.au, which I think is more than half price, and it runs at 8 + 15 psi.

cheers all!

Well done! I'm still lurking outside the local target with a trenchcoat and binoculars...

B)