The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
paradox

chile varieties database

seems others weren't so impressed. maybe they enjoy tastes other than an excruciating burning feeling all through the mouth which causes the disability to taste anything else :lol: .

:lol: Thanks for that, been a long time since I looked at UK Chilie Heads. I need to dust off my pepper seed box and decide what to grow besides my hybrids this year, maby Lemon Drop or Cumari ou Passarinho :wub: I wish atarodo was bigger and more prolific.

Edit: Hey now, dont knock mouth-numbing heat! Habanero sauce is the only way I can eat pork

Edited by Auxin

seems others weren't so impressed. maybe they enjoy tastes other than an excruciating burning feeling all through the mouth which causes the disability to taste anything else :lol: .

wus :P

Having earned officialy the title of "Chillyhead" (my toilet bowl can testify for that,excruciating times there i tell you) i am very happy this link is brought to my attention.

Taste VS hotness.... Hmm i would say i like both ,although most of the times i tend to gravitate towards peppers with high capsaicin content.I think some peppers even contain capsaicin analogs that offer a "delayed burning" which i find very interesting. Seems to come in waves and when i first discovered it it caught me completely off guard. My mouth waters just thinking of those varieties...

Another interesting aspect of my.."chilliphilia" is pickling them! Some of them make very interesting pickles for "mezze" (small dish usually served to accompany a strong drink) and certainly its quite of a surprise for people liking pickled goods,peppers or both!

Cool thanks for that link, Looking forward to the Perth Chile Festival in a few weeks :)

i don't think i could call myself a 'chile-head' but i don't mind a bit if a mind bending zing now & then.

i agree psiloman, flavour over heat generally speaking but the hardcore ones have their appeal too :)

a friend of mine used to infuse chile & garlic & herbs in vodka. gives a nice endorphin hit to a shot & the flavours really seemed to work surprisingly.

another friend who is definitely a chile-head recently made habanero home brew draught which was rather intense but also seemed to work quite well :) i've had one sitting in my fridge for about 3 months infusing with a whole fruit sitting in it,

i cracked it the other day! muuhaha :devil:

capsaicin.gif

When eaten, capsaicin (8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide) stimulates the brain to release a neurotransmitter called substance P, which lets the brain know something painful is going on. The brain, 'thinking' that the body is in big trouble, mistakenly responds by turning on the waterworks to douse the flames. The mouth starts to salivate, the nose starts to run, the eyes might start to water and the face breaks into a sweat. The heart beats faster and the natural painkiller endorphin is secreted.

Edited by Paradox