The Corroboree

Question

This thread stated with the question-

How do y'all define the term "Peyote"?

I would like to expand the thread to talk about other useful definitions, terms and vocabulary.

Teotzlcoatl's Definitions-

"Peyote"- A small globular "button" cactus with entheogenic, psychoactive and/or medicinal properties which is endemic to the deserts of Central America (Mexico and the Southern United States).

Entheogen- A botanical-based psychedelic which "generates God from within". A hallucinogen used in religous, spiritual or shamanic context.

Ethnobotany- The science of the relationship between humans and botanicals, focusing mainly on the way in which Homo sapiens utilize plants for various uses.

Ethnobotanical- A botanical which people (Homo sapiens) utilize in some way, for uses such as- construction, medicine, psychoactivity, dye, food, clothing, etc.

Psychedelic- A substance which is "mind manifesting", or "consciousness expanding", expanding the realm and/or scope of experience available to awareness. A special type of hallucinogen.

Psychoactive- A substance which alters consciousness or perception. An inebriatant.

Hallucinogens- Substances causing hallucinations, including- psychedelics, dissociatives, and deliriants.

Edited by Teotz'

Looks more like a drawing of a mushroom to me :lol:

Maybe this should go in the mycology forum :P

O shit.

Hang on.

Edited by Teotz'

I can't?

Well shit...

Edited by Teotz'

There are lots of websites that offer image hosting. I prefer to upload them to the gallery here. That way I know they're not gonna disappear anytime soon, and also just gives people more to look at if they're browsing the galleries.

Well since I can't get any pics up, I'll use this thread for something esle...

How do y'all define the term "Peyote"?

I define a "Peyote" as- A small Mexican cactus with entheogenic, medicinal or psychoactive properties.

Some people think "Peyote" refers only to Lophophora williamsii.

I think they are wrong...

What do y'al think?

Not that I'm an Native American or any type of expert, but I'd think that it refers to any medicinal (including entheogenic/psychedelic) cactus that is used (or has been used) by the Native Americans. In perticular, I think it has a strong link to the L. williamsii species, although I think that appearance comes from a westerner's view as that is what I have always been told (via books/internet/docos/etc) it refers to. Of course after looking into these cacti for a long time I realise that the term has also been used for other species, mostly those which have been incorporated into folk-medicine by the Indians.

I certainly wouldnt link it solely to L.williamsii as I know that it, along with other terms ('tsuwiri' for example) also refer to other species.

Off the tip of my head I can say that there are at least 18 non-Cactaceae species that have been cited at "peyote" in the literature. The term "peyote" appears to have its etymology in the Aztec language, and likely referred specifically to plants known to the Aztecs. But the name has been extended, almost certainly by Spanish speaking culture, to almost any ethnobotanical cactus, as well as many other plants, even though the name may never have applied to them in pre-Columbian society. I think there are many "peyote" cactus that have gained the name by Spanish speakers simply because the plants may have been found at some point to have medicinal use (traditional or contemporary) or because it looked similar to other plants called peyote. The tribes currently considered the center of "peyote" use, the Huichol and Tarahumara, have their own terms for the cactus plants they use.

~Michael~

Many different plants are properly called peyote.

Some are cacti. Some are not.

Some are ingested as hallucinogens but most are not.

Some are used in ethnomedicine but most are not so far as we know.

Some even look similar to L. williamsii but most do not.

L. williamsii is not necessarily small. The heads can reach 4 inches in diameter and a single plant can (with serious age) form a clump of many heads that is a meter in diameter.

Edited by trucha

I'd define Peyote as a term, not a plant, as I believe others have pointed out.

Peyote is the name of a force as per Don Juan in Carlos Castenada's books.. It's an entity depicted in all kinds of forms, colorful animals, dog like figure, coyote etc It seems to be a force that might anthromorphosize in order to be understood by human conciouseness.

It's the sound of the wind, the breeze, crickets, water, a spirit of nature etc.. anthromorphosized from the abstract, a teacher and a protector, a lover of loving kinship between life forms, harmony, appreciation etc.

Peyote is not the psychodelic effects but the teacher that might visit you while on a journey with mescalitto. Peyote could even visit you in dreams not even having eaten any of the sacred sacriment.

Don told Carlos that the name Peyote is not supposed to be used casually and gave the cactus L.williamesii the name mescalitto which means literally, small-masculine. The way folk use mescalitto is just the opposite and incorrect. Mescalitto refers to the plant, a little strong one. Peyote is the name of the force.

For whatever reason, I refer to Lophophora w. as peyote when I'm talking about peyote. Peyote encompasses the plant and the spirit for me. This is how I was taught by the Lakota and yes, I realize that peyote did not originate with the Lakota, but was introduced to the Lakota. Pejuta is another term I use in reference to peyote. Pejuta means medicine... so, for what its worth... If you on the reservation and someone offers you a button, peyote, or pejuta... chances are they are referring to Lophophora w.

The only ones who would even know of the "Lost Peyotes" would be the Natives of the Chihuanhuan desert. The use of "Lost Peyotes" may have feel out of use long before the Peyote religion spread into North America. I believe only the Tarahumara or other nearby tribes would have used the "Lost Peyotes".

I updated this thread with a better definition of "Peyote" now.

I like this thread...

I'd define Peyote as a term, not a plant, as I believe others have pointed out.
Many different plants are properly called peyote.

Some are cacti. Some are not.

Some are ingested as hallucinogens but most are not.

Some are used in ethnomedicine but most are not so far as we know.

Some even look similar to L. williamsii but most do not.

Not that I'm an Native American or any type of expert, but I'd think that it refers to any medicinal (including entheogenic/psychedelic) cactus that is used (or has been used) by the Native Americans.

Of course after looking into these cacti for a long time I realise that the term has also been used for other species, mostly those which have been incorporated into folk-medicine by the Indians.

I certainly wouldnt link it solely to L.williamsii as I know that it, along with other terms ('tsuwiri' for example) also refer to other species.

"Peyotes"... not "Peyote" :)

I refer to Lophophora williamsii as "True Peyote".

*Updated*

Check out the first post!

Teotzlcoatl's Definitions-
That sums it up for your definition of peyote, it is yours but not one that is accurate in terms of the true meaning of the term.

You should consider then connotative definitions perhaps, but claiming them as definitions seems inaccurate to me.

O sorry! Those certainly aren't "my" words.

Those are my interpretation of those words... that is why I called it "Teotz's Definitions".

I'll go into who created the words a bit later... do y'all all agree with the definitions presented? Is there anything you would change? Anything you disagree with?

I don't like any of the definitions, you are surely not good at it, and clearly can't realise that either...

oh well :)

Um... ok, thanks.

Would you like to suggest I change something?

learn the definition of the word definition first.

writing definitions is pretty more tricky than it initially seems to. And, like I said, you're not good at making abstracts, you're good at copying and listing [while not giving credit]. I would guess big mouths don't make very good definition writers and it shows....

steal someone elses work, you know how it's done ;)

O Jesus.

Mutant can you stop being a fuckin' troll?

If there is something specific you would like to suggest please do so and we can discuss it.

If you disagree with any of the definitions please tell me why and maybe I'll change them.

Edited by Teotz'

Will you give me credit if you use my sugestions?? :P