The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Hellonasty

Small flys in grow room

As the title says. I have heaps of little flys in my cacti grow room. They look to be causing no particular harm but are just annoying the shit out of me. How should I best get rid of them ?

Souynds like you have an infestation of 'those little bastards'.. better know as fungus gnats or scarid fly, they have larve that live in the soil and eat the fresh young roots.

They can and will damage your plants, so get rid of them, there is plenty of info on the forum so have a search around.

I get them a lot, so Im going to try a new prodcut (to me) called Gnatrol. Anyone tried it?

Yeah, I can't seem to shake them at the moment :BANGHEAD2: , the little bastards killed at least half of the 60 seeds that I germinated for the grafting competition.

No matter what i do they just seem to turn up in every batch of seedlings. Maybe I should just stop being such a cheap bastard and actually invest in some quality potting mix :rolleyes:

Souynds like you have an infestation of 'those little bastards'.. better know as fungus gnats or scarid fly, they have larve that live in the soil and eat the fresh young roots.

They can and will damage your plants, so get rid of them, there is plenty of info on the forum so have a search around.

I get them a lot, so Im going to try a new prodcut (to me) called Gnatrol. Anyone tried it?

Thanks mate. I have had them before but this tiem they are pretty bad.

Anyone have any up to date advice on getting rid of them. The yellow traps look like the go for the flys but what about the larvae ?

I second sticky traps. They will only kill of the mature flies, but at least it will aid in cutting down numbers. You'd be suprised how quick a metre of sticky paper can get thickly covered in the little bastards if you have a bad infestation. I havent tried any other methods, but sticky traps alone can do the trick (but they can take a month or three before they have completed the extermination). Maybe try a mix of both traps and sprays, but be careful if you have any 'edibles' in your room when using chems.

IME the sticky traps are just an indicator system, so if you see them on the traps you know you have them, I dont see how they could ever defeat and infestation?

They like wet organic material, particularly if it isnt allowed to dry out between watering, hence the name Fungus Gnats, I have found that Peat is the worst for getting them so I dont use it at all if I can help it.

the adult gnats need to escape your soil/mix to replicate so if you can stop that some how your going to help the situation greatly, this can be done in many ways but a good one is to put down a thick layer of CSS ontop of your soil and then again around the base of your pots.

Another good one is to use Diatomaceous Earth, this will kill the buggers before they get a foot hold if you mix it into your soil while potting up your plants.

Do NOT use diatomaceous powder like the stuff you can by from pool shops for filters, it is extreemly hazardous to your health.

Greenharvest.com.au used to sell gnatrol but I just checked and they no longer have it (Damn I wanted to get some) but they do recommend Natrasoap, so give that a shot, its available from most nurseries.

Good luck.

sticky traps are just an indicator system, I dont see how they could ever defeat and infestation?

You answered your own question:

the adult gnats need to escape your soil/mix to replicate so if you can stop that some how your going to help the situation

Traps are used to kill adults before they get to reproduce. Like I said above, the process is slow (sometimes can take a few months), but it will do the job in the long run. Keeping media as dry as possible between watering also helps (and isnt too difficult when growing cacti).

Hmm, you have been getting quite defensive lately Ace.

I was replying to this statement.

I havent tried any other methods, but sticky traps alone can do the trick (but they can take a month or three before they have completed the extermination)

Sure I suppose you could do it that way as long as have have a shit load of stickytraps, you dont have gants in your other plants, you cacti arent near any other plants that need at least weekly watering to prevent death, aren't outside near soil and you dont mind starving your cacti of water and or food for many weeks.

Lot of if's there.

Im guessing that wouldn't fit many people here at SAB?

I personally have had the little buggers last in dry soil for a month or more and I wouldnt want to not water my cacti for that long in the growing season which is when you would get them.

So, in the end, I was clarifying a somewhat deceptive line of information to help prevent disappointment and a waste of money.

Lol, sorry AA - I didnt mean to come aross in a grumpy/defensive way whatsoever :wub: Probably just my writing style sounding too abrupt and cold when I'm really not trying to come across that way.

I know exactly where you are coming from with the traps, they are slow to become effective and can be useless in some senarios, but I was just stating that I have used them with success (only one or two at a time is necessary BTW, unless used in a large area or outdoors where they probably would prove rather useless). I'd still look into biological/chem warefare if I got another attack of the little buggers (only a matter of time I think), but I'd keep a trap or two about to help keep some of the numbers down until the others kick in :)

Just pointing out that there are other (non-toxic) methods for those who'd prefer to keep chemical poisons away from their cacti/plants. I'd definately look into biological predators too, but I know little about them and where to obtain them. Plenty of older threads if Hellonasty is interested (I should probably have a read too) :)

So anyone tried Hypoaspis mites ? From what I can tell the traps (For adults) + Hypoaspis Mites (for larvae) is the best way to get rid of them. The mites are a little expensive but people say they are effective and you don't have to used chems :)

Edit: Got some traps today. They are working pretty well for the adults.

Edited by Hellonasty

Edit: Got some traps today. They are working pretty well for the adults.

Where did you find them? Been looking for them for ages. I have a very minor fungus gnat problem and would like to get some. PM me if you like.

Cheers.

Phos-

S'all good Ace :)

Gnatrol and Natrasoap are non-toxic. Neither is the DE and its REALLY good stuff to use if you can find it.

The traps are available at hydro shops.

While your there you may see a product in a small white bottle called Scarid fly drench which has been banned, its really nasty stuff so dont use it. (it works well though, LOL) Its Diazonin I think.

Where did you find them? Been looking for them for ages. I have a very minor fungus gnat problem and would like to get some. PM me if you like.

Cheers.

Phos-

Mate I just got them from Bunnings! Rentokil brand sticky fly traps, got 8 rolls for about 5 bucks.

Mate I just got them from Bunnings! Rentokil brand sticky fly traps, got 8 rolls for about 5 bucks.

Same here :) Work well (to some extent), but they can be a pain if they fall over or if they brush against something. Note to self: Sticky traps are f*cking sticky!!

Gnatrol and Natrasoap are non-toxic. Neither is the DE and its REALLY good stuff to use if you can find it

I actually have a small bag of DE, but I still havent used it (was going to when I repotted my lophies on the weekend but forgot all about it!). I actually had no idea that it was a pest repellant - I thought it was just a good soil additive. Well there ya go! Good to hear those others are non-toxic too - I will certainly have to look into getting some next time I cop an infestation.

There's a thread here regarding biological control.

I opted for Steinernema over Hypoaspis only because the infestation was so bad. Worked a treat.

Has any one tried using natrasoap as a drench before?

Im keen to give it a go but dont really have any plants/cacti I would be happy to use as a tester.

On easy way to get gnats is when they hitch a ride from the nursery you buy your soil from!

That many times I have opened up a new bag of soil and see a gnats fly out of the bag but unless your really looking out for them its really easy to miss.

I recently had to return a bag of cacti soil because the bag was absolutly crawling with larva. I didnt see any adults when I opened it so I went ahead and potted up some cacti, it was only afterwards that I noticed the soil jumping around a big when taking out a scoop, then on closer inspection it was gnat city,.

Andy,

I know what ya mean re the soil. I think that is how I got them :( They are crafty little buggers and like you said hard to see unless they move. I have the adult population under control only a few about but I have seen the little lavae on one of the pots. Pretty hard to get rid of.

If anyone else has any good tips on getting rid of them please post.

I'm with kenny blister. I've used gnatrol to good effect indoors and in greenhouses, but Steinernema and Hypoaspis were very effective with only one application. 1 or 2 follow up applications every couple of weeks after that got rid of them for quite a long time. It seems like with gnatrol, you have to keep applying it. As far as sticky traps go, they're good to cut down on the adult stage, but have never seen them rid an area of gnats. Also, while the adults are bad and innoculate plants with assorted (possibly) pathogenic fungi, the larval stage actually eats root hairs! That's not something you want to wait around for to disappear. In the meantime, root hairs are being eaten and plant growth/health is suffering. Get some bio-warfare on their asses!

EDIT: Steinernema lay waste to their larvae.

Edited by FM.

I ordered some Hypoaspis Mites today. I will post here on their effectiveness.