The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Stinkmeat

Visionary Artists?

Just wanted to know if anyone has any particular visionary artists that have had a profound effect on them?

The only one that I can say is:

Alex Grey

www.alexgrey.com

His art seems to speak to me on a level that no other visionary art does. Truly amazing.

Salvidor Dali is another, but that's more surreal rather than visionary, I s'pose its a fine line though.

I have spent a good few hours searching the net today, but didn't find anything that really amazed me.

I might just be picky. :)

Edited by stinkmeat

Here is one more link, that claims to include 'the master artists' of visionary art.

Iasos

http://iasos.com/artists/

None of these artists did much for me, but I thought they might for someone else.

Edited by stinkmeat

Stink - might want to check your links as they are coming up with error messages :)

My father received a large print of "The Garden of Unearthly Delights" for his birthday. You can stare at it for hours and always find something new. Quite a painting.

Here's some more...

Luke Brown:

http://spectraleyes.com/

Izwoz:

http://www.izwoz.com.au/

Edited by Micromegas

you gotta check out luke brown he's right up there.

what i did was check out his links to other artists, also alex grey's links, and then i checked the links on those pages, and then i did google searches, then scrounged through deviantart and psygarden, did google image searches and searched those pages and the links on those pages, oh and i saved all the images along the way. yes, envy is very appropriate, and no it won't all fit on a dvd and yes i will laud it over you, and anyone, and everyone.

actually to give some practical advice which won't cost you all week and then some, go to nemo's webpage as he sells prints of quite a few cool artists. or PM me, and when i have access to my collection i will tell you the names or urls of some of my favourites.

Ahh, sorry about the dodgy links people. :unsure:

They should be in working order now!

The first is a list of Visionary artists

iasos.com/artists

The second is Alex Greys Online Gallery

www.alexgrey.com

He has also done the cover art for Tools last 2 albums.

And thanx for everyones input. I really like the Luke Brown stuff. And I remember seeing some of the UV IZWOZ works in the main dome at EGA, pretty amazing. The colours of IZWOZ do something really weird and beatiful to me when i look at them, hard to explain, but a very srtong connectiong with the art/ist

CoSM blog

Awesome fractacular architecture for the new cosm. With the right set of eyes I'm sure you could imagine the structure continue to infinity in the sky. I wonder how meticulous this fractal will be, how many of the smallest levels of iteration will actually be carved out. It would look awesome if done properly! need some kinda laser cutting machine that would do those tiny shapes.

Either way, as impossible as a 'proper' fractal is to physically create, the design is beautiful, in aesthetics and its' meaning.

personally i find most 'visionary' art a little too corny & clean cut for my taste. y'know all that new agey dolphins & crystals & angels & stuff! a little poxy.

obviously people like Alex grey & friends are in a different catagory all together & like sparkster said, it's deffinately worth checking out some of the older stuff like bosch & blake or francesco clemente among others.

other names worth checking out are

Robert venosa:

enlighte.jpg

v.a.all.400web.jpg

Mati klarwein:

MatiKlarweinGallery-AstralBodyAslee.jpg

MatiKlarwein_Blessing_RESIZED.jpg

ed paschke:

0818.jpg

ed_paschke.jpg

Robert Beer:

green-tara.jpg

Fred Tomaselli:

11478.jpg

FT_Organism_05.jpg

etc

El Dude,

I had only heard about the new COSM, but had not seen the actual plans. It's awesome that the fractal faces repeat into the sky. A good effort on the part of other designers, as well as the Grey's.

And Paradox,

They are some beautiful works. Especially the Robert Venosa ones and Fred Tomaselli.

I know what you mean about the corny dolphin/crystal stuff. Not my cup of tea at all.

H.R Giger

M.C Escher

S. Dali

I notice H.R. Giger mentioned.

For fans of dark art, with what could be considered a visionary angle (not typical fantasy stuff) check out this

It seems only tragically appropriate that he died a violent death.

It's also a real fucking shame! his life was filled with tragedy in the later years.

The late 1990s were a very trying time for Beksiński. His wife, Zofia, died in 1998; a year later, on Christmas Eve 1999, his son Tomasz (a popular radio presenter, music journalist and movie translator) committed suicide. Beksiński discovered his son's body. Unable to come to terms with his son's death, he kept an envelope "For Tomek in case I kick the bucket" pinned to his wall.

On 21 February 2005, he was found dead in his flat in Warsaw with 17 stab wounds on his body; two of the wounds were determined to have been fatal. Robert Kupiec (the teenage son of his long time caretaker), who later pleaded guilty, and a friend was arrested shortly after the crime. On 9 November 2006 Robert Kupiec was condemned to 25 years of prison, and his accomplice, Łukasz Kupiec, to 5 years by the court of Warsaw. Before his death, Beksiński refused a loan to Robert Kupiec.

from Wikipedia

That is the most fucktarded situation I've ever heard! I mean death is rife anywhere and everywhere, but when creative people are gone the impact is really felt, I believe in the ability of art to induce transcendent states and that it is true consciousness altering work.

Now we have this rip-off artist to continue his legacy, I mean he's good at it but that is more than 'appropriation' this guys whole gallery is a replication.

Nice dark art there fellas.

I have always been a fan of HR Giger. Escher and Beksinski both blew me away, ElDude - I know what you mean by his work be consciousness altering. Really beautiful stuff.

Thanx for the input again

Stink

great thread! I can't think of any right now that haven't been mentioned... but keep it up :lol:

I was searching for Psychedelic Artists and came up with this.

Pablo Amaringo

Some may already be familiar with him. I have seen some of his works before but not known the artist behind them.

He is an Amazonian Shaman who paints his Ayahuasca experiences/interpretations. In this article he talks about the importance of visionary healing plants in human existence. Not a bad little read.

I really like the vividness of his works, as opposed to them being nearly photo realistic, they convey a lot of meaning just through the use and combination of colour.

Wow, Paradox thanks for the heads up... and yeah, I remember that Pablo Amaringo fellow to be pretty damn impressive as well stinkmeat.

I didn't even know this existed until today, but just came across the Visionary Art Vault on Erowid.

WOW! really nice find there IB.

nearly all the stuff in that vault is amazing, for anyone who is into to comic style art, check out Punkadelic in the paintings section. Cools stuff!

Wandjina, absolutely love your artwork and Izwoz too.

Edited by naja naja

Really beautiful Cycle, those works are so touching. Its amazing how much meaning can be expressed through such abstract art.

Ah very cool cycle, thanks heaps for that!

I also forgot about this chick, Erika Somogyi, whose paintings I posted a link to somewhere else here:

http://www.throughthetrees.net/paintings.html

Here are a couple of detail shots:

post-1250-1202332155_thumb.jpg

post-1250-1202331933_thumb.jpg

Edited by IllegalBrain

IllegalBrain,

I remember seeing this artist in you're other post, very nice. Thanks for the refresher.

Conan,

Some of Kalmakoff's works are really good, others are not so much, haha. Not sure sure why but some just stood out a lot more than others. Thanx for the input, the more the merrier. :)