The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mescalito

Vaccuum distilling/

I'll pinch my dad's digital camera thingy and upload a photo,BTW It weighs a heap!

"God gave us all the seed bearing plants and herbs to use !!"

Read "Leviticus"(The Law)in the old testament re: animals that are clean/unclean. It's a great laugh :D

the vacuum pump should be great for dry extractions :) just remeber to put a trap in cause I don't know how good water/solvents are good for you pump.

It's designed to dry out(by lowering the bp) of newly installed pipework(air cons) H20 is the enemy of a professional installation ,the gas(air) runs thru a special oil which is hygroscopic!!

Tryp....Will check it out-actually got the saying from a Cypress hill track(on now JJJ files) :D

[ 04. April 2003, 00:03: Message edited by: mescalito ]

mescalito:

It's legal in NZ and I think here too-just don't want to fork out 500 for a store baught job(on a carers pension)Forked out 60 bucks for it before I realised it was galvanised-Any suggestions??my vac pump is belt driven and goes down to minus 30 psi-

Its not legal to own / possess a still unless it is less then 5l in volume and is used only for the distillation of essence and the like

quote:

Are seedless grapes not kosher?

Don't know about that one, but I do remember one bit about not being allowed to eat fruit off trees younger than four years or something because the tree was "uncircumcised". :D

And Auxin (or anyone else for that matter), could you suggest a way to clean a syringe such as the one pictured earlier in this thread? The metal (what kind?) is pretty scummy - there's all this greenish oxidised crap on it. How could I get it off and prevent it from happening again? Ideally I'd be able to clean the thing up to a smooth shiny surface so it could be sterilised properly and actually used, but any suggestions would be welcome.

Greenish oxides usually mean copper. If the metal is silver and its making green rust the metal is probably super-nickel (75% copper 25% nickel, same as modern US 5 cent peices) its pretty unreactive so to keep from that happening again just keep it clean, it takes extended contact with harsh chemicals (or electricity + liquid) to do that to super-nickel.

Soaking in ammonia will soften the oxides. Soaking in dilute hydrochloric acid will soften/dissolve it too but you have to make sure not to soak it too long or more damage could be done.

And hope to hell that the metal underneath is still in one peice- I've seen many rusted instruments where the rust was holding the thing together. Good luck.

That pot sounds like it would be good for distilling, except for the fact it's made out of iron. If a copper inner pot was used it would be lovely.

A good condenser can be made with common copper piping:

copper.liebig.jpg

I too have noticed that commercial alcohol gives you a hangover. the theory I subscribe to is that it is from preservatives. Homebrew and moonshine never give you hangovers.

I love home chemistry :D

Can get a sheet of Cu. for about 80 bucks ,that will sleeve the inside,I would use silver solder(80%) would this suffice(double folded and soldered from the outside)-Oh and here's another huge pic.

I'm gonna have to crop my pics me thinks! DSCF0002.JPG :D

Snazzy cam eh?

[ 02. May 2003, 02:56: Message edited by: mescalito ]

mesc, that is one wicked pressure cooker. You could do massive amounts of substrate sterilisation in that... If used to do distilling, you'd want to put a copper or stainless steel inner pot into it.

I think that the copper condenser I posted up would produce a lot of distillate. I was thinking about this and it occurred to me you could go for something even funkier than that - since the jacket pipe doesn't need to be able to withstand heat, a large pvc pipe could be used for the jacket instead, and the condensing tube in the middle could be made into a spiral to massively increase the rate at which it condenses things.

Of course, technically speaking that would be an illegal piece of equipment.

Distilation aparatus by itself is illegal in Oz?

Our governments have some FREAKY laws (did you know having sex with HUMANS is technically illegal in Montana? I couldnt beleive it when I found that one but I compared the law to other states sex laws and sure enough, human-human sex [gay or straight] is illegal in Montana! At least that law isnt enforced, these are- In many US cities it is illegal to sit down on the sidewalk (ESPECIALLY if your poor), its illegal to have no money, and its illegal to stand still in public.)

Exactly :) -Distillation doesn't actually produce alchohol-it simply removes water and other 'dirty' chemicals;which,BTW would reduce the incidence of hang-overs,not to mention, a reduced rate of "alchohol poisoning"-by removing poisonous methanol and fusel(not fuel ) oils.

Therefore a lack of over-indulgence!

Did you know, in Singapore(I think? c.m.i.i.w.) you can't chew gum

Then again :rolleyes: the powers that be own everything(turn around-there watching you now)

:D

[ 03. May 2003, 01:12: Message edited by: mescalito ]

"a reduced rate of "alchohol poisoning"-by removing poisonous methanol"

But only if you remember to through away the first portion that comes out of the still. Several times people have been poisoned by drinking that first cup. If you dont want a tramendous amount of methanol in your booze use grain, not fruit (if you do use fruit grapes are the safest- apples, peaches, etc. are friggin' methanol factories).

mescalito:

It's legal in NZ and I think here too-just don't want to fork out 500 for a store baught job

I was just in my local brew shop, and a 5L still from NZ goes for $230 (standard condenser) or $350 (for what they call a reflux condenser, which is actually a fractional head). My problem is that I want something more versatile, as I am actually more interested in doing other things than alcohol, like steam distillation and boiling under reflux. This one locks you into a boiling temperature of approx. 80C, and is also unfortunately made out of a combination of aluminium alloy and rubber seals, so no alkaline solutions.

How 'bout a hundred pounds of yeast, and some copper line ?

Or the seed from Columbia-

Mexico :D

[ 05. May 2003, 02:46: Message edited by: mescalito ]