The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Teotzlcoatl

My New Cacti

Hey everybody. :unsure:

I just got some new cacti from S.S.

I got Trichocereus sp. "Torres & Torres" (Pachanoid)

Trichocereus sp. "Luther Burbanks" (A Peruvianoid most likely from Chile)

Trichocereus sp. "SS01" (Macrogonoid/Peruvianoid)

Trichocereus riomizquensis

Coryphantha compacta

Ariocarpus fissuratus

Mammillaria craigii

And they are freaking awesome!

I'm VERY interested in the psychoactive effects of the "false peyotes" (Not that I would ever eat them, I doubt the effects are very pleasurable and I've been scared shitless of entheogens ever sense my last mushrooms trip.)

I'm also very interested in the origin of T. riomizquensis, looks like a regular pachanoi to me..

I'll post a bunch of pics toward the end of the month, but any discussion about the trichocereus or "peyotes" would be great.

Edited by Teotz'

One source I've read says that some shamans ate the "roasted center" of M. craigii and then fell into a deep sleep full of colorful visions....

Can anybody confirm this?

Are there any reports of people ingesting "peyotes" or "false peyotes" other than Lophophora?

Edited by Teotz'

I'm not "blocked" or anything am i?

Or are people just choosing not to say anything....

Sorry for asking such a dumb questions, but you'd be surprised by some of the things I've had done to me on other forums....

Well I'll add another little interesting qoute from my source- "Some mexicans have taken up the curious habit of smoking ariocarpus cactus for it's entheogenic effects"

:huh: I never heard of people smoking cacti before.. also never heard of a visionary Mammillaria. Whats your source?

If you try either procedure be sure to post a bioassay :) And dont roast that Mamm without at least making some clones first :P

I'm not completely sure but believe t.riomizquiensis is actually a variation of t. scopulicola ,http://trout.yage.net/sc/Trichocereus_List_5.htm .Here is a link to trouts notes if you havent seen it yet it shows t. riomizquensis but further down shows under scopulicola var. riomizquensis ,I think there was another page somewhere among trouts notes that explained this as it was one of four species named on another page at one time and explained a little more about each ,but could be wrong maybe is its own species. Patrick

I hope I'm ok saying this....

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to discuss vendors or not...

But my source is the Sacred Succulents catalog and various internet sites...

I don't think I will ever eat any of these cacti (or smoke them), I'd be scared.

From what I can gather about T. riomizquensis it is closely related to T. scopulicola, T. bridgesii and T. pachanio.

It is very close to the predominant cultivator of T. pachanio "San Pedro".

Edited by Teotz'

:lol: I didnt actually mean the source of your plants I meant the source of info on roasting mamms and smoking ariocarpus.

Thanks for pointing out the plant source tho, they have nice little blurbs on their products and its been years since I checked them out... first time I've heard of Silene undulata leaves being smoked.

I'm surprised some of the points you made havent prompted more conversation. I started growing A. agavoides and A. fissuratus but it'll be a while before I have a spare tubercle big enough to smoke :wink:

Sacred Succulents is both the source of much of the info and the source of the cacti.

They are a really great company.

Ya, I can't believe more people aren't interested in this...

I find it VERY interesting...

Edited by Teotz'

I have it on good authority that simply smoking the sacred succulents catalouge on it's own will take you places you have only dreamed of!!

TRY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Osprey

:huh: I never heard of people smoking cacti before.. also never heard of a visionary Mammillaria. Whats your source?

If you try either procedure be sure to post a bioassay :) And dont roast that Mamm without at least making some clones first :P

I've heard of a few cases of cactus brew boiled down to a resin and spread very thinly so it 'dried' in flakes was smoked with good effects and also some people smoking dried ground trich with tobacco as their smokey of choice.

Effects are about what you'd expect from a mild dose of decent phenethylamine type shenanigans.

EDIT: Tort was one reporter of some Mam being active.

Edited by apothecary

A source says that smoking "peyote" that has been dried and ground is mixed with a certain herb which produces pleasant effects, it is worth noting that the effects are not very much like the powerful entheogenic effects from eating buttons though. Personally I think it would be a waste, just my opinion though.

Also, I have smoked a dried tubercle of Ariocarpus retusus var. furfuraceus with no effects whatsoever. Didn't taste to good either.

Mammillaria [syn. Solisia] pectinifera? Mammillaria micromeris [which may or may not be Epithelantha micromeris]? Mammillaria [syn. Dolichothele] spp.? Could all be possibilties.

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

I know people in Nimbin that get a button, put it into a plastic bag for a while letting it sweat out until some liquid forms, then rub it onto a joint or cigarette.

I didnt think it was a very good way to go about it but the group of them sweared by it. This said, roumour is rife in Nimbin and all one has to do is mention something as truth and before long 1/2 the town is saying its fact and they have been doing it for years maaaan, :P

I heard Mammillaria craigii is one of the active ones.

Here's all the info I could collect, though I can't confirm it...

Trichocereus peruvianus ~ Vendor Name- "Serra Blue"

~178mm(7inchs) tall (From rim of pot) ~ Sep. 1st 2007

~Nine Ribs; each 23mm thick(at base of rib); Rounded.

~Thickness (at base of main column) 89mm

~Blue-green Skin being frosty/misty sky-blue in appearance.

~V-shaped notches, around 3mm long above each areole .

~Thick red-bronze-dark brown spines which taper to a fine point.

~Spines are up to 32mm long and have 4-9(?) spines per areole; Having a single long spine and radiating shorter ones.

~The older central spines DO NOT swell at the point of attachment to the areoles.

~Small Tan-light brown tufts of very short fur cover areoles.

~Location of Origin-?

Ariocarpus fissuratus 8-9 years old. Grows in southern Texas and northern Mexico. Utilized by the Tarahumara for it's medicinal and psychoactive properties; Said to be more powerful than Lophophora.

Mammillaria craigii 'Peyote de San Pedro'A Mexican cactus highly valued by the Tarahumara. The roasted center of the cactus is squeezed into the ear to relieve headaches and earaches. Used as a stimulant by runners. The center of the cactus is ingested by well trained shamans, which puts one into a deep sleep full of brilliant visions. Supposedly it is now very popular in Australian dance rave culture.(I'm serious, that's what the catalog says, lol -Teotzlcoatl) It oozes a milky white latex if punctured.

Coryphantha compacta, 4 years old. Native to Chihuahua, Mexico. Some Tarahumara shamans recognize it to be a powerful medicinal cactus and consider it to be a form of Hikuli or Peyote.

Cactus- Trichocereus peruvianus

Vendor Name-Trichocereus sp. "Luther Burbanks"

Location of Origin- Most likely Chile

Collector- Luther Burbank

Cactus- Trichocereus riomizquensis

Vendor Name- Trichocereus riomizquensis "FR856"

Location of Origin- Campero, Cochabamba, Bolivia

Collector- Seed collected by Friedrick Ritter in the late 1950s.

Notes- A Pachanoid related to T. bridgesii and T. scopulicolus.

Stats-~ 6 ribs.

Cactus- Trichocereus pachanoi

Vendor Name-Trichocereus sp. "Torres & Torres"

Location of Origin- Northern Chile

Collector- Manuel & Donna Torres.

Cactus- Trichocereus peruvianus/macrogonus

Vendor Name-Trichocereus Sp. "SS01"

Location of Origin- ?

Collector- ?

Edited by Teotz'