The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mutant

Gymnopilus spectabilis [G.junonius] discussion

Hello! In my most recent mushroom picking excursion I found Gymnopilus spectabilis, now called G. junonius.

I hear european species seem to be inactive, but I might give this a try. Anyone with any experience? Does anyone have info on dosage for this mushroom?

'locations'

I often find it, almost exclusively on dead stumps by rivers/creeks/drainage lines, often very close and at similar elevations to the water line.

The stumps are often free living with no attachment to the ground besides their weight and or some plugging of soil, but this is not always the case IME, but is quite true along rivers IME.

BUT no doubts I find it there almost exclusively because i'm a river/creek/drainage line dweller most of the time in the mushroom season.

The G. spectabilis growing on the east coast of the USA are often active while those on the west coast are not generally known for activity.

I often find it, almost exclusively on dead stumps by rivers/creeks/drainage lines, often very close and at similar elevations to the water line.

actually it's pretty close to the sea where I had found them. maybe it's not a coincidence...

The G. spectabilis growing on the east coast of the USA are often active while those on the west coast are not generally known for activity.

I know a number of mycologists are trying to nail this one down, whether it is active or not. Do you have further info corroborating this.

The PNW G. lutefolia/aeruginosa is definitely active and bluing. with dosage about 25%-50% higher than cubensis for similar effect.I would assay 50g wet and check it for activity. There are no poisonings associated with them besides being psychedelic and quite bitter so if positively IDed you are quite safe. I eagerly look forward to early fall when they arise from fallen conifers. While quite nasty to ingest they are a more friendly and relaxing experience than Psilocybe.

PS this genus does not dry well and I have only had positive results from fresh or wet preserved in ascorbic acid and honey.

I know a number of mycologists are trying to nail this one down, whether it is active or not. Do you have further info corroborating this.

If it says something, I have heard americans say this in other forums as well....

i can confidently say that the Gymnopilus spectabilis [G.junonius] that i found growing a a dead pine tree were definatley not actives. I came across this large patch just last week. going on reports i ate 200g of fresh caps huge amount and quite bitter to taste. no effects were noted at all...

found south of adelaide. after the first real heavy rains

sorry no pics as yet

It would be cool to put some pictures of the mushroom you bioessayed :)

Edited by mutant

I found them again this automn a couple of times ... whenever I have found it, it has already been attacked by worms, pretty much in a degree you certainly wouldn't pick them for table as ebibles, and I would NOT surely pick them even if they were muscarias or pantherina, which I regularly pick. I missed some relatively unharmed mushrooms, but I picked 6 or 7 young ones, in a decent condition.

I remember reading some 10gr suggestion in some other forum for a full journey, and also have heard of a more 'happy' and light psilo effect, which has also be reported for subbs as well.

but I understand you might not even have an active of this appearance in oz..? And the ID of the tree it lives in plays a role in ID for euro species. Maybe it's the same species anyway, but produces actrives only with specific trees... this is very interesting genetically, biologically etc as well to the question why plants and fungi produce these chemicals in the first place ....

sure 200 gr would be enough I guess, but you say it's quite bitter..? Man it's really bitter as well as acrid/sour according to reports and description...mine taste test too

I wonder what would the thought of people combining a half dose of a less known psilo mushroom like subbs or laughing gyms with a maoi ? I know it's more of a rhetoric question, because if one does something never reported, then there's a random risk involved, no? Especially if one hasn't had a psilo experience in the first place....

The ones I missed

th_DSCN3745.jpg

Any comments on descriptions and ecology of said mushroom seem like of great interest to me... Any comments welcome

Edited by mutant

There are no poisonings associated with them besides being psychedelic and quite bitter so if positively IDed you are quite safe

Actually there have been poisonings involving several gymnopilus species - one which was reported in stamets that caused priapism ;)

The variability of activity reported in the states doesnt occur in Australia - in that the spectabilis variant we have in Australia has never as far as I am aware been found to be active or even bioassayed. I would be cautious in Australia considering some of the content variations found in Gyms in other Countries.

Otherwise stick to Gymnopilus purpuratus which I have personally bioassayed and found to be weakly active and ordinary tasting...

If its bitter, surely it couldn't taste worse than Amanita tea? That mushroom treats my mind like royalty, but the guts are another matter all together!

Perhaps adapting a fudge recipe would be the go .

Edited by G*P

Amanita tastes splendid, especially if you like mushrooms. Gymno tastes really bitter and acrid.

As far as I have been able to surmise there is no variability in psilocybin content in G.spectabilis because the species is inactive. Reports of activity within this species have been as far as I have been able to assess been based on misidentifications. In posts that I have seen where the active shroom that was first identified as being G.spectabilis it was later shown to be G.luteus or a species that looked quite unlike G.spectabilis.

I still welcome further evidence that G.spectabilis is indeed active.

Well, I can't find many info on G.luteus, but I suggest you should read the Gymnopilus section in Paul Stamets book "psilocybin mushrooms fo the world". According to him G.spectabilis [now = G.junonius] is moderately active to inactive, varying according to region. G.luteus is not mentioned by Stamet, but several others are, incl. the previously mentioned G.purpureus.

I've read it and believe the regional data was based on a study by Hatfield many years ago. In this study and one by T.Stijve I believe misidentification was involved because although G.spectabilis is probably one of the most common species of gymnopilus there have been no modern reports of activity. The many reports of activity of big laughing gyms at the shroomery have mostly been G.luteus. Considering how common G.spectabilis is I would have expected more reports of activity in this species.

I still await more good data to support the contention that G.spectabilis is active.

yeah, I don't blame you.. I guess it's time for me to enter the shroomery :) Lot's of reports there

While we're waiting for the matter of G.spectabilis to be properly resolved we can take reassurance from the fact that Australia does have a number of active gym species including the aforementioned G.purpuratus and most likely G.dilepis.

you would have to be keen to be able to consume the amount they say ya need, considering most Aussies have far better alternative around the same time of year. I think an extract would be the be the best way to go about it.

The purple gym is mildly active, but it's hard to find so there only really worth seeking for the fun of the hunt.

Edited by jabez

While we're waiting for the matter of G.spectabilis to be properly resolved we can take reassurance from the fact that Australia does have a number of active gym species including the aforementioned G.purpuratus and most likely G.dilepis.

haha, sure, I am not there though!

I have a huge clump of these growing beside the creek where I live. No blue staining noted as in other collections but I wonder about the other contents mentioned on wikipedia.

i can confidently say that the Gymnopilus spectabilis [G.junonius] that i found growing a a dead pine tree were definatley not actives. I came across this large patch just last week. going on reports i ate 200g of fresh caps huge amount and quite bitter to taste. no effects were noted at all...

found south of adelaide. after the first real heavy rains

sorry no pics as yet

i'd always thought they were inactive as they are way to common here in the pine forests. Gymnopilus Purpuratus would be the one to go for as you can actually see the blue/green staining. reportedly found in Port Lincoln during May on pig dung and wood chips, might need to go for a road trip this year

what is G. dilepis and where is it found? more importantly how active is it? I've never heard of it before

Edited by Trich-Aura

i'd always thought they were inactive as they are way to common here in the pine forests. Gymnopilus Purpuratus would be the one to go for as you can actually see the blue/green staining. reportedly found in Port Lincoln during May on pig dung and wood chips, might need to go for a road trip this year

what is G. dilepis and where is it found? more importantly how active is it? I've never heard of it before

Several threads here with good info on G.purpuratus. Widespread in Australia it grows on logs and woodchips of several different woods.

G.dilepis is one of the active gym species native to Australia. Quite active, it has been recorded in Australia's eastern states but may have wider distribution. It is also widely distributed overseas, europe, india, south east asia.

An exellent aussie find with pics, assay and info can be found at :-

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24636

Double post.

Edited by Mycot