The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest reville

Datura ferox vs. D Stramonium var tatula

Guest reville

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what Datura ferox seed looks like? It looks very much like D stramonium seed.

This struck me as odd as D stramonium seed is so different to all the other daturas i have seen (black and shiny vs rough beige/yellow)

Also What is the physical differences between D stramonium var tatula and the gordonii variety? The AFSR has recieved a source for the tatula that might not be the same as all the other SAB sourced seed.

Datura ferox seedpods look 'meaner'. The spikes are much thicker and look harder. Never seen the seed though. I doubt it would look too much different because the two species look similar.

Originally posted by reville:

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what Datura ferox seed looks like? It looks very much like D stramonium seed.

This struck me as odd as D stramonium seed is so different to all the other daturas i have seen

seed difference are more due to harvest conditions and plant growht paramters. I have plenty of stramonium I grew myself that is beige and some of it is even rough.

Also What is the physical differences between D stramonium var tatula and the gordonii variety?

did you miss the announcement about the daturas. I put up a page http://www.shaman-australis.com/Website/Daturas.htm

The AFSR has recieved a source for the tatula that might not be the same as all the other SAB sourced seed.

that is quite likely in view of the recent realisations. There is a long thread about this here somewhere....

have been growing independently sourced stramm for about 5 years and now believe it to be tatula.have heaps,does seedring want some?

stem colour is 'burgundy' is this what is meant by 'purple'?!?

t s t.

Guest reville

sure tantra if only to sort out this godawful mess i have on my hands

about 10 packets of stramonium, some with origin noted (easy) others source unkown (have to be grown out).

I know what ill be putting in a display of in spring

rev,can i trade it for venezuelan rustica?

i'll return the rustica seed with interest the following season of course!

t s t.