The Corroboree
Hagakure

groups to volunteer for?

anyone know of any groups to volunteer for.

wouldnt mind getting out there and planting some trees or doing some good once in a while but dont really want to head out with a bunch of 40 year olds etc. would be good to head out with a youngish crowd of likeminded people.

i heard about some deal a while ago interstate which had a tree planting then a rave or doof at night that was free to all those that helped out.

anyone know if groups like these are still operating?

i heard about some deal a while ago interstate which had a tree planting then a rave or doof at night that was free to all those that helped out.

yeah i used to be involved w/that. Tranceplant. Unfortunately it folded & i don't know ov anything similar.

my advice to you would be to get in w/you local Landcare group & push to organise a similar event yourself.

Guest Øskorei

You're spot on about oldies being the predominant volunteers in bushcare, typically the ones run by local councils. But in my travels I've seen some younger people working with "Conservation Volunteers Australia" in the Sydney region, you might want to check out their website and see if they run anything in your state - and of course see if they attract a younger crowd.

It's a bit of a shame that many native regeneration bushcare groups don't have any interest from many people under 50 (many are much older), as its a very noble cause.

All the best, and keep us updated

I believe there is a tree planting day mid-year at the Woodford Folk Festival site and it's rewarded with either entertainment then in the mid-year, or tickets to the end of year festival (sorry, forget which). It's full of young people as it is the scene dug by more young 'uns. Check it out.

Recent Sundance party had a tree-planting exercise before the tunez began. Kind of offtopic but yeah.

I'd be interested in such groups as well; I have nothing but free time until Uni starts next year, so I'd love to get out in the commun ity and help save the world....:) so yeah, any other suggestions of such noble cause (animal work too) would be much appreciated by me.

greencorps do good work and at least u get a bit of pay and qualifications, everyone ive known who have done it loved it,getto learn how to fence, id weeds etc get ur chem tiket etc. plus heaps of youngin's of like mind to play with.

st vincent depaul do alot of gr8 work, im thinking of volunteering myself while iveso much free time, may get me away from this freakin computer and postingso much poo on here and leave yas alone!!!

quote-dont really want to head out with a bunch of 40 year olds etc

alotof wisdom to be gained from older people if ur willing to listen, a good mix of ages would be gr8.

t's a bit of a shame that many native regeneration bushcare groups don't have any interest from many people under 50 (many are much older), as its a very noble cause.--- maybee all todays young fellas are softcoks? i dunno?

osk- have u EVER done a day of bush regen in subtropical climates??(or any climatefor that matter) makes concreting look like fuken working at wendys. u get to learn about ticks,leaches painful cuts and gouges, sticks in eyes and ears, impossible temperatures, impossiblysteep slopes and all shit nasty.

it would be a sinewy/hardened old planthead that would take on regen after their 50's.

might sort some cheeeky young buggers out here a day of regen!! good for ya hook in and stop whinging about older people u dorks, u volunteer to do good work, not hook up. see person.com for dat!

Edited by jono

the only encounter i've had with any kind of bushcare was this old guy (definitely over 50) who was given community service dropkicks to help him, and, in our case, vegie control boys and tree boys from the council. he was a sinewy old grumble asshole, but i spose my point was that everybody doesn't have to be at the sweaty end of the effort. for some reason i had the impression it would be all 40+ geezers but you do make a good point. maybe they are just tough geezers or maybe they take it slow, but certainly it seems to be older folk that are always involved in this sort of thing, eg, QLD horticultural society.

i can't really imagine ANYONE doing it without the support of others. imagine that huh? you're out there, no cunt helping at all, in about two hours you'd go "FFFFFFFUCK THIS RIGHT OFF"!

i dunno about volunteering for it, unless it's to gain career experience. i'd love to be selfless and all, bla bla bla, but i don't doubt a word of jono's description because i've done similar work for good money and i just wouldn't do it for nothing. protecting nature isn't enough motivation when some other bastard somehow ruins your work anyway. the only motivation would be networking or helping to clean up the bush nearby to YOUR property.

the government really needs to get actively involved, i reckon, and somehow ensure that their workforces do good work instead of slacking.

stockwhips and mirrored glasses. and moustaches.

no way man ur gettin me wrong, i LOVED it, did ALOT of regen around the new highway from brunswick to yelgun, where we were expected to plant 300 trees a day per person regardless of the terrain, i was in a bundjalung work team, i was the only whiteguy on the crew. and we bustedourarsessided byside all day long in impossible temps and conditions. and i loved every minute of it, the comradery, the converstaion, the earthiness and the wisdom thatwas shared.

I will look upon it as one of the best if not the most insightful experiences of ur life.....and u get fit! real fit!

they should just run biggest loser this way, at least the environment would benefit. just send their fat asses to planttrees in the middle of the summer. they get skinny, the world gets healthy, less money spent on healthcare, people feel better about themselves. i put it that anyone over 20kg over their healthy bodyweight should do a mandotory 3 months bush regeneration.

butyeah get out there and into it, its really cool when u run into the new age type who boast to be saving the forests as they sit back on their dope-smokers pension and rant to u about how u should be saving the environment and that they are all peace love and the shiz. u just say fuk u man i just planted 10000 trees? what have u done? ceptwaste centrelink paper?

what do you mean you were in a bundjalung team? all i know is they are an aboriginal group, who did ceremonies at a couple of doofs i went to. i'll cut to the chase - what were THEY doing regen work for?

that is a good idea by the way, but you pretty much explained why it wouldn't take off. why would you lose weight in the most challenging conditions, when at a gym the only challenge is exercising? we're all masochists now? heheh.

i'd love to do it for the learning, but i have a few good reasons not to use labour if it isn't for a friend or some cold hard cash. my heel hurts every time i stop work, my knee doesn't let me use my body properly, and my back hurts in general but occasionally i do something bad there and it just ruins me for weeks. that's all the result of a road collision except my back, which is the result of bad posture and a cursed birth :P

now how about them fifty-something bushcare workers eh? sinewy old bastards.

what do you mean you were in a bundjalung team? all i know is they are an aboriginal group, who did ceremonies at a couple of doofs i went to. i'll cut to the chase - what were THEY doing regen work for?

good for u, it was the bundjalung land council (google bundjalung) they weredoing regen work..to guess what...make fucking money! hillarious! plus they had thiscrazy idea about getting aboriginal communitys involved in healing their own land.

all the rest of that post really outlays is an ignorance about whothe bundjalung are..im sorry? google it.

these guys actually cared for the land , and longed for when the trees stood tall, and took pride in the effort that ittook to get that process rolling, these guys were damn hardworkers.

that is a good idea by the way, but you pretty much explained why it wouldn't take off. why would you lose weight in the most challenging conditions, when at a gym the only challenge is exercising? we're all masochists now? heheh.

wtf? because itsreally fucking effective? and u would lose it fasterthan in a gym? plus ur doing something positive and notwasting money on catching someones syphilis of a bench. and u can walk past in 20 yrstime and tell ur kids...see those trees! i planted em!!! now thats something to be proud of. masochists? im justlookin for solutions.

i'd love to do it for the learning, but i have a few good reasons not to use labour if it isn't for a friend or some cold hard cash. my heel hurts every time i stop work, my knee doesn't let me use my body properly, and my back hurts in general but occasionally i do something bad there and it just ruins me for weeks. that's all the result of a road collision except my back, which is the result of bad posture and a cursed birth :P

and possibly being a total soft-cock.

now how about them fifty-something bushcare workers eh? sinewy old bastards.

huh?

i don't see why you chose to insult me, but you did, so continuing the conversation seems pointless.

sorry. but yeah hag good luck man!!

cheers for replies, links and stories.

would like to get out there and do some good. preferably not in the baking sun though.

will look into it further.

It depends what you want to do. There are always groups like The Wilderness Society if you are interested in politics and the like, or there are groups as mentioned like conservation volunteers australia who do tree planting. You could see if your state government needs volunteers for flora or fauna surveys as well. I would expect there to be a local Climate Action Group too