The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Brug flower anomaly?

OK OK I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for this, the weather, the recent rains, the firing of cannon into the atmosphere...

My Brug candida, whilst having copped major storm damage last w/e, still has two flowers formed on it from the same branch. These are the first two flowers formed on it ever.

One, hanging from a half snapped twig, is the normal apricot. The second newer flower is firmly attached- and pure white. Nary a trace of apricot.

Is this normal? Should I be doling out drinks wiv lil umbrellas in them to celebrate yet another anomaly?

Guest reville

The Plant at Uki pub did the same thing. its strange isnt it!

not strange at all. many strains do this normally. in fact the UKI strain and all apricot candidas do this all the time. they just do it at different speed when it is warm in comparison to when it is cold. In summer the apricot pigment develops much quicker and by the time they open fully they are already apricot. in winter the pigment develops much slower and they can stay white for a couple of days. go and check your plant now and you will see that it is slowly turning apricot.

same deal with mushrooms I suspect...

during excellent mushroom weather they seem to develop too quickly for the pigment to catch up and you end up with just a dark spot in the middle... rather than a much lighter spot with the colour radiating out from there to the end of the cap...

(good point eccles)

don't wan't to rain on your parade DL, coz I rekkon dat idea about using dem as glasses with little umbwellers is great wink.gif

Eccles put up a couple of pics of a candida showing a yellow flower on a normally all white plant.

Also, I took a B.sanguinea cutting to N.W Vic and it's first two flowers were fully yellow.

Actually it looked rather amusing considering the flowers were twice the size of the plant (10cm tall), it looked fine hanging out of a pot but I put it in the ground tongue.gif

here they are all propped up with sticks and string biggrin.gif

yelbrugs.jpg

yelbrugs2.jpg

[This message has been edited by Adrian (edited 03 May 2002).]

Guest mandragora

l

Edited by mandragora