The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
paradox

Trichocereus tacaquirensis?

Question

i recieved this cut the other day from an old cactus grower whom i respect very much. but i'm a little sceptical about his ID.

he had it labeled Trichocereus tacaquirensis.

is it Trichocereus tacaquirensis?

med_gallery_2376_3_38233.jpg

med_gallery_2376_3_4008.jpg

Edited by Paradox

9 answers to this question

It looks almost exactly like the bridgesii i was selling in the plant and seed exchange. If you look at the base cut I have and compare the spines, they could just about be from the same plant. Nice tip anywho, I'm sure you'll have years of fun just watching it grow.

Hi Paradox, i think it´s rather not an tacaquirensis! Shoot another close Up of the Areoles to make sure! It is not a Bridgesii! bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Can you please make another close Up of the Areoles? It is not a Bridgesii! bye Eg

Yeah, on closer inspection it's not the same as mine. A few less spikes and a slightly more reddish tinge on mine, I was thrown off by the extra long spikes but then my powers of perception aren't the best at the moment...........

Due to the questions regarding the validity of the name "T. macrogonus" it is probably best to just consider the plant T. peruvianus based upon its spination. It is certainly 100% not Trichocereus tacaquirensis.

~Michael~

yeah i was thinking a peruvianoid.

like i said i do respect this old fella a lot but from what i've seen, his id's are pretty rough.

he's an amazing grower though! his seed grown plants are all just soooo beautiful & healthy. he has 15-20 year old loph's you would swear are 50+ years old. & his garden is just bloody beautiful!!

so anyway...... anyone out there growing any true T. tacaquirensis?

Edited by Paradox

Here's a couple shots of T. tacaquirensis in Bolivia. There is so much confusion surrounding this species, particularly its relations to T. taquimbalensis, T. werdermannianus, T. terscheckii, and even with a plant that goes by the name of T. macrogonus.

~Michael~

post-19-1191163248_thumb.jpg

post-19-1191163254_thumb.jpg