The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SirLSD

larger degrafted buttons wont grow roots

smaller degrafted buttons seeem to have np problems growing roots. 2cm or less. i cut them off and leave them to heal for a month or 2. then place them in white sand which i moisten each time it dries out. within a month or 2 of this all the smaller ones start to grow roots but the larger ones next to them (3-4cm) wont grow roots. some have sat there close to 6 months and done nothing or have succumbed to an infection and died.

temps are good. 12C min, 30C max.

lighting has been varied from shaded areas indoors to direct lights indoors. (16hrs)

should i try some clonex gel or similar? why wont the larger ones root like the smaller ones?

I have found the same issue lately. There was a thread where Blackdragon (I think) was encouraged to try coco coir as a rooting medium and he had fantastic success with it (larger plant about 5-7cms wide, I think).

Another thing is that smaller plants run out of water faster and thus are forced to search for more (by sending out roots) quicker. I think you will find that with enough time and dehydration, the larger ones should eventually root (though there could be all sorts of reasons why they dont - medium, watering, etc).

Clonex or a rooting gel/powder might well be an idea - I have not used it, though I've heard of a few people giving it a shot (although I never heard if it was successful or not...).

A FOAF had great sucess this year with larger ones by just laying them on top of moist soil.

He just uses seedstarting mix with a little lime in it because it retains moisture longer,but only till the roots come

That way the plant is dry,but the roots seek out the moisture.also you can inspect them occasonaly

Once the roots start,He settles them in deeper in proper 50% pumice planting mix

works great for him

make sure to keep the soil moist until roots form.

They take longer than little ones because they have more moisture in them like Ace said

thay are outside under shadecloth.

100% success!It's kind of scary how easy it is

He is one happy gardener!

how bout suspending them over a glass/jar of water, so as the cacti is sitting on the rim and there is a cm or so of water in the bottom, also placing them with something that has decent root growth may encourage the unrooted one into action...

how bout suspending them over a glass/jar of water, so as the cacti is sitting on the rim and there is a cm or so of water in the bottom, also placing them with something that has decent root growth may encourage the unrooted one into action...

I would suspect this would cause rot. Although, if you had a bubbler system (just an air stone connected to a pump inside the jar of H2O), then it may be somewhat beneficial, although I can still see it being slightly risky... :unsure: Still, could be worth a shot.

you keep the soil moist and dont get rot? if i keep it moist mine go to mush...i need to let dry for a day or 2 before i re moisten anything :(

you keep the soil moist and dont get rot? if i keep it moist mine go to mush...i need to let dry for a day or 2 before i re moisten anything :(

they are just sitting on top of the soil,not in it.

Easy to check on them as often as you like

Dry soil, no water, no humidity, moderate light, moderate heat.

Callous the plant, find your pot, fill with the soil of your choice, finish the soil off on top with about 1 cm of small pea gravel (small aquarium gravel), set the plant on the gravel without sinking it in and forget. Don't water and keep in a dry area without high air humidity. Try to find a window with a nice degree of strong diffused sunlight or a couple hours direct light and moderate heat. Forget about it. Every couple weeks pick it up to inspect for root growth and once you have roots that are showing you can consider watering if the plant is looking dehydrated and in need. If not let the roots get to about 1 cm and then start a very moderate watering schedule.

If you set it over wet soil or maintain it in a humid environment the need for water is lessened as the stomata open at night and take in moisture which prevents the plant from "learning" that it must root or eventually die. Air moisture will keep these plants alive for extended periods of time if large enough (smaller plant dehydrate quicker and therefore look to root faster).

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith

oh haha. i thought you said you were putting them in half way and keeping them moist. never mind :P

Roots don't grow in response to moisture, they grow to seek it out whether it exists or not. But without the requisite heat that stimulates cell division (plant growth) a plant can sit for years without setting roots. I have a limb of an Echinocereus sheerii v. gentryi that has been sitting on a shelf in my room temp basement for over two years without light or adequate heat for cell division and though it has dehydrated moderately it hasn't grown any roots at all. This while other clipping when out in the sun and with heat rooted nearly right away.

Maybe I will pass this plant on to Osprey in the package I'm slowly pulling together for him. I suspect this plant is a Tarahumara hikuri species.

~Michael~