The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Smiling Cloud

Big bags of poppy seed

I was walking through the supermarket and saw this massive bag of poppy seed. I was going to buy it something else caught my attention and I forgot to. If I by this and throw it around the place will the seed germinate grow? For two bucks i spose it doesn't matter. Is there places where you can buy seed in bulk like that? I wish there were buns with cannabis seed on them...

Guest Mesqualero

i have read that alot of the poppy seeds in supermarkets are actually surplus from Pharmaceutical Crops... I'm not sure what they might do to stop them from germinating...

yes supermarket poppy seed has a fair germination rate and i'm almost certain it is the variety your after.

recently i grabbed a bag of seed from the supermarket. about 2-3 bucks. country of origin - turkey. viability excellent. they came up exactly the same as torstens turkish commercial.

just remembered now that these seeds had been stored in the fridge for at least six months, may have helped germination?

Do you rememer what brand you bought? And how was the potency? Not that I would want to smoke O or anything, that's illegal. After storing the seed for six months did they germinate as soon as you planted them, I might try that with some of my seed.

Hello Smilingcloud, This is my first post.

The brand of poppy seed I have found most "tasty" is Khan sao from Turkey it comes in 100g clip seal baggies. My pet monkey had a dream last night that they went from start to finish in 3 and a half months and ended in a lovely display of dark purple flowers ( 5 - 7 per plant). The rest is a another beautiful dream... (That my monkey dreamt)

Where did you find that brand? I've only noticed the Hoyts brand in my local supermarkets.

A friend has had about 90% germination rates with mellow yellow(lost the packet so the brand name could be slightly different) brand.these are marcked as being a product of australia,and they flower white with a darker centre(purpley marone).They look the same as the Tassy ones.

If they are a product of Aust.IMO they would have to be from Tassy.

Yes I have been in touch with "Mello Yellow" and they have confirmed that this product is produced in Tasmania. I have read that Tassies cycle is as little as 60 days. Interesting. I have also read that Tasmania is growing a cultivar known as the 'Norman' strain high in thebaine. This is a toxic compound so be careful.

How is the best way to store seeds?

Originally posted by Tripster:

Yes I have been in touch with "Mello Yellow" and they have confirmed that this product is produced in Tasmania.  I have read that Tassies cycle is as little as 60 days.  Interesting.  I have also read that Tasmania is growing a cultivar known as the 'Norman' strain high in thebaine.  This is a toxic compound so be careful.

I saw the same thing on the ABC.

The tassie poppy growers are growing this toxic strain in with there normal poppies.

I think it was like, one in every five are the toxic ones.

Primarily grown to stop thieving.

This is suppost to stop people from jumping the fence and picking there poppies.

I suppose its a good way of stopping them, by poisoning them?

But wouldnt you think loosing a few here and there, would be more productive than wasting growing space with mixing this toxic one in with there crops?

Its a crazy world.

i seem to recall tv program a few years back,a death in tassy due to poppy brew.picture of coke bottle half full of dark brown liquid.think chemist type claimeddeath due to high plant levels of thebaine.claimed this was due to the plants stage of development.also habituation leading to high dosing compounded the situation.dont poppys make thebaine,use that to make morphine and use that to make codeine?

this may also be a warning against using immature fresh material.

t s t .

various references on the web claim the thebaine strain was developed deliberately. i'm not sure of the reason for this development: it was either to deter theft or to make processing simpler for the company that converts the pods into various medicinals. if the thebaine issue concerns you then u may want to stick with old favourites like persian whites, danish flags, etc.