The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gamma.goblin

Bunnings T.Bridgesii

From what I've seen Bunnings tend to overhead water... daily. Going there is like visiting a ward for terminally ill cacti :(

Agreed! its a sad thing to see all those sick cacti.. and they never listen when you tell them to lay off with the water.

Anothyer thing I have noticed is that all the TBM's I have bought from Bunnings have had those deformed tips on them, with a clubbed shape instead of the classic one eyed snake look.

I also see a lot of the long looking ones but think its just etoliation, damage or a viral disease my guess being the latter.

Sure Aunty, here you go, had to return the camera after snapping, though I got other shots if you need them

post-3690-1184556190_thumb.jpg

And the Lophs :worship:

post-3690-1184556296_thumb.jpgpost-3690-1184556343_thumb.jpgpost-3690-1184556367_thumb.jpg

post-3690-1184556296_thumb.jpg

post-3690-1184556343_thumb.jpg

post-3690-1184556367_thumb.jpg

post-3690-1184556296_thumb.jpg

post-3690-1184556343_thumb.jpg

post-3690-1184556367_thumb.jpg

Gonna try and make it to Hamiltons today to examine these specimens, will probably buy them all if they are the rare variety, try and make some available to the community.

Andy, clearly this last cactus is not etiolated and looks quite healthy.

The Hamiltons nursery is in pristine condition, through use of systemics fungicide/pesticide and whitehouses.

I personally have never bought a cactus from anywhere that didn't survive :P

Edited by apothecary

Gonna try and make it to Hamiltons today to examine these specimens, will probably buy them all if they are the rare variety, try and make some available to the community.

:wub: if they are the rarer of the sort put me down for one please :worship:

Apoth, can I be the first to put my hand up for the long arm variety :) ....Or ...I'll PM you.

Thanks

AJ

gamma...nice lophs....I love that second clump. :drool2:

Gamma -----> Did u say that there are button cacti for sale at Bunnings labelled 'Desert Friends'?? :) Are they Lophs??

UTSE!

aww comon, Ive been busy physically searching these things for you :P

Im still not exactly clear on what makes them different, is it prety much just the spikes growing all over one, and only at the base of the other?

gamma...nice lophs....I love that second clump. :drool2:

Aye they are Aunty, and they look much more impressive in the flesh :) My fav is the first, its the largest of them all.

Edited by gamma.goblin

Gamma -----> Did u say that there are button cacti for sale at Bunnings labelled 'Desert Friends'?? :) Are they Lophs??

Sorry I used the word 'button' there incorrectly, its just the 'Desert Friends' range are all 2-3 cm and hence have the appearance of a button, even if they will grow into a column one day.

Ohh......How old and how big are they gamma? your lophs in the pics?

I got a couple of lophs (little buggas 3-4cm) that I want to graft to a nice scop or trich come this summer...gotta start somewhere hey, can't seem to get my hands on any peres to graft seedings to...teo makes it look sooooo easy, just thought I should try on sumthin that harder to fumble then tiny little lophs...baby steps...baby steps.. :unsure:

AJ

Edited by Auntyjack

Well, Ive bought them a decade ago, they were about 3-4 cm then, and the two non-clumpers flowered from the first year. They stayed in small pots for about 1/3-1/2 that time. Ill try to get some photos with a coin or other reference in them, but they are larger than a big man's fist :wub: Its all been slow growth, no grafting.

Edited by gamma.goblin

aww comon, Ive been busy physically searching these things for you :P

Sorry, you're gonna have to do better than Hamiltons to use that as an excuse, considering most Sydneyside members have been visiting them for years. It took me thirty seconds or so to find those two threads.

Anyway, I went there today and had a nice chat to the ladies working today, and confirmed with them that the long specimens were taken from the same mother as the short ones. No luck guys, sorry to get anyones hopes up.

The lady was nice enough to pull out their caged L. williamsii v caespitose specimens and I also got a peek at their Astrophytums and purchased a decent sized E. micromeris :drool2:

PS: Auntyjack, I'm sorry but I didn't get your PM till just now. I have a spare TBM living at my parents house, PM me your addy and I'll send it off for you next time I visit them.

Anyway, I went there today and had a nice chat to the ladies working today, and confirmed with them that the long specimens were taken from the same mother as the short ones. No luck guys, sorry to get anyones hopes up.

Hi Apo, wow, your fast! I have some of the TBM´s that your looking for. I plan to make a shipment to Australia. But i want to ship the cacti with all the import papers and because of this it´s going to take some more months. Everything has to be totally legal! As soon as i ship some cacti to Oz, i´ll enclude some of the diffrent TBM´s for you guys! I´ll post pics of my motherplants to make sure that i send the correct clones! bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

cheers Apoth...very much appreciated, will do. :)

EG I got this feeling your friend list is about grow rapidly..... :drool2:

AJ

Sorry, you're gonna have to do better than Hamiltons to use that as an excuse, considering most Sydneyside members have been visiting them for years. It took me thirty seconds or so to find those two threads.

Yes and you understand them, as I said Im a novice, so I was looking for some assistance, but hey, some people just love to be arrogant I guess :rolleyes:

Yes I need a bong.

EG I got this feeling your friend list is about grow rapidly...

Hey AJ, he he, i´ll send one large shipment to someone who keeps the clone in cultivation and therefore this is the one you should make friends with. lol. SAB is my second home and i´m always glad if i can help. bye Guys!

Edited by Evil Genius

Yes and you understand them, as I said Im a novice, so I was looking for some assistance, but hey, some people just love to be arrogant I guess :rolleyes:

Yes I need a bong.

Where do you think my understanding came from? I certainly didn't fly from the heavens with omnipotence spilling from every orifice. When I was curious about something, I had the courtesy to check the search engine before I asked my question.

Seems to me that the arrogant thing is to demand information when you have done no searching on your own, and then badmouth the person who regardless took the time to do the search for you.

Sick of constantly being abused by noobs because you request they use the search engine? Welcome to the land of no more help from me!

Gonna try and make it to Hamiltons today to examine these specimens, will probably buy them all if they are the rare variety, try and make some available to the community

cheers for trying Apo :worship:

I certainly didn't fly from the heavens with omnipotence spilling from every orifice.!

what a disappointing thread :(

not only did i not aquire a rare specimen but now i find my orifie is'nt going to split asunder with vast knowledge just by posting here

damn :wink:

Edited by MOSES

Andy, clearly this last cactus is not etiolated and looks quite healthy.

The Hamiltons nursery is in pristine condition, through use of systemics fungicide/pesticide and whitehouses.

I personally have never bought a cactus from anywhere that didn't survive :P

Hamiltions nursey may be pristine but the Bunnings main QLD storage house, the shops them selfs of somewhere in between may not be...

I hope it is the phallic form, I have TBM specimens that exhibit both growth forms without a lack of light that AFAICT happens when there is some kind of stress on the plant or perhaphs some series of events and is not a of genetic trait that would follow on with grafting. that said the one in that pic is far bigger than any of mine have reached so far so I hope it is the real phalic clone because I WANT ONE :P ha..

It is about time we get some different TBM clones into the country. I would LOVE :wub: to get atleast one [if not more] of these monsters when they become available. Keep us posted EG I will wait in nervous anticipation [no not constipation] until the day they are here and are available.

Hey Apo,

is this the right one? Its one of my motherplants. bye Eg

post-1140-1184693446_thumb.jpg