The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gamma.goblin

Bunnings T.Bridgesii

I bought a Trichocereus Bridgesii today from Bunnings, he is only 65mm tall, but its a nice looking little cactus with lots of long painfull spikes. Just wondering if they normally have these cacti? They also had a few monstrose(the 'penis' plant) - do they have the same kind of alkaloid content? One had the top snapped so I picked off a tiny bit of flesh and nibbled on it, tasted very bitter, but Im not exactly experienced in tasting cacti, this was my first one.

It was $6.45, 'bout a dollar/cm, is that a fairly average price?

They also had a few varieties simply labelled 'Trichocereus Species', but Im not knowledgable enough to pick them. I picked Bridgesii before I saw its label though :)

cheers

Edited by gamma.goblin

:o you didn't pick up the TBM's at $6.45ea..

... :slap:

I have only got the TBM's once from them....heaps of scops but I have yet to catch a normal Bridgesii

Lucky bugga Gamma :P

AJ

I didnt buy the monstrose, I dont know bugger all about them :) Im not sure if that slap is one of jealousy or 'YOU EEEDIOT!!!' :lol: Should I get them, or is it a rip-off?

Ill try to get a photo of my bridgesii, it looks right to me, and the tag says it is, but Im a novice with these things, would be nice to have it confirmed or denied.

I scored a T. bridgesii from Kmart which was Hamilton's stock, which is the main stockist for Kmart and Bunnings I believe. I had never seen one in there before, I once saw a TBM but did not buy [why not? I am not sure why, but I still regret it to this day].

I scored a really nice TBM [penis plant] with two small sections for $5 from a market seller the other day, was stoked.

As a general rule TBM has a better alkaloid profile than the standard T. bridgesii, unfortunately they are very slow growing, but can be grafted.

I also scored some cool Trichos from Kmart recently [last couple of months] It can be hard to tell as they are labelled 'spike' [grrr!!] but will wait and see how they look in a few years, two look a lot like San Pedro, also got a T. spachianus and what I think is a T. cuzcoensis the T. bridgesii are a bit of a rare score and I would suggest to those who find them to buy them up as I think they are just a seed run and not something you will find on a regular basis.

Happy hunting.

Have a look at this thread for info on potencies:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=9894

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

Should I get them, or is it a rip-off?

Get them, as many as you can. That's a great price.

For various reasons almost all the cacti I have bought from Bunnings (and there are been at least a dozen) have died a slow death particularly the tbm's, usualy to the black death or orange basal rot, maybe its the bad karma instilled in them whilst in thier hands.. LOL

one of the TBMs is snapped and has two black patches :( ANy advice on how I should treat this little bugger? They are each in a pot with another cactus which looks like an egg that the alien face-huggers bust out of, got no idea what they are.

In the house I used to live in, there was a a TBM in a pot when I moved in. Had no idea what it was. But it had the "Penis Cactus" tag heh. It was severly neglected, always falling over and losing its potting, kept in heaps of shade etc. Evey time I found it languishing though I would fill it up with dirt, give it a water and stand it back up, thing was still kicking when I left, but trapped in its tiny pot. I might go back and see if the new residents have hung onto it :wink:

Phosphene, I asked Bunnings, their stock comes from Hamiltons. The T.Bridgesii was the only thing labelled, the TBMs were also called 'Spike'. Even more frustrating is the 2cm buttons, every kind labelled "Desert Friends' :rolleyes:

Best thing if it has black spots on the epidermis is keep water away from it. Only water when necessary in the growing season, preferably not overhead watering, capillary watering is the preferred method. Some pics of the cacti will help with possible ID, in spring I would repot into it's own pot with some good cacti mix or a decent mix of your own making. Do not water him for atleast a week at a minimum after repotting.

Yeah desert friends is another one :rolleyes: , if by 'buttons' you are hoping to find a Loph amongst them, i don't like your chances. Though with those little guys it's good to just pick something you like the look of grow on and try and ID when of a better size or flowereing size.

Andy most of the cacti I have bought from either Bunnings or Kmart have survived, though there has been a few deaths to rot or neglect. I think one thing to watch out for especially if buying from Kmart is fungus gnats. They have been introduced into my collection through infected bags of pottings mix and cacti pots. Really pissed off about that as they are fairly hard to get rid of, little bastards.

So post your pics GG and we can have a go at ID for you mate.

Thanks for the advice, I have to borrow a camera before I can post pics, been having some difficulty there :(

Im not expecting any lophs amongst the buttons, they are just the small range which all have that apperance. Some look Trichy, though I dont know enough yet about trich ID, they are cheap($2.50), so I should just buy them anyway and see. I already got me some Lophs :) got them almost 10 years ago, though Ive left them in the care of someone else who looks after them very well(I negelected them). I think they feel the cacti belong to them now, but its ok, neither of us have any intention of eating them, and I can get myself some seeds/graft material whenever I choose to start my own garden. Ill try to post some pics of them too(with permission from the caretaker).

Yeah would love to see your cacti when you get around to it. I am glad you don't intend to eat them, as that is illegal, plus they are too special to injest even if it was legal, there are other things one could hypothetically munch in a country where legal :wink:.

If you can get grafting material it is well worth it as it is a rewarding practice.

Happy growing.

For various reasons almost all the cacti I have bought from Bunnings (and there are been at least a dozen) have died a slow death particularly the tbm's, usualy to the black death or orange basal rot, maybe its the bad karma instilled in them whilst in thier hands.. LOL

Yeah agree....don't think I have ever picked up a trich or tbm from BRUTINGS that didn't have reasonable size black spots em, my scops seems to get hit the hardest, but the others calloused over and recovered without stuffing with it.....well so far :)

Just a thought AA wouldn't the black death actually be present at Hamiltons? before they go to bunnings/kmart?

gamma did you go back and get the rest of the TBM's? at that price you could afford to loose a few. :wink:

AJ

I did go to bunnings and buy their TBMs, there were only 2.

Today though, after visiting my Lophs to collect some seed, I took a trek out to Hamilton's. There is no rot at Hamilton's, both my TBMs from Bunnings have black rot. I got a dozen small TBs and 4 TBMs, all 3.50 each :) They had 4 or 5 larger TBMs at $25 each, but Im a poor man!

Finally borrowed a camera today, but my friend forgot the cable to connect it to the computer, which seems to happen 9 times out of 10 when I borrow a digi :BANGHEAD2: should have it soon though.

so where are they getting infected....the transport?....do bunnings have a holding yard that they could sit for a time?

From what I've seen Bunnings tend to overhead water... daily. Going there is like visiting a ward for terminally ill cacti :(

My new Cacti :)

post-3690-1184482504_thumb.jpg

The two TBMs in the high pots are from Bunnings, as is the TB in the round pot.

Heres the rot:

post-3690-1184482581_thumb.jpgpost-3690-1184482597_thumb.jpg

Hamilton's TBMs

post-3690-1184482535_thumb.jpgpost-3690-1184482558_thumb.jpg

Unsure about this one:

post-3690-1184482622_thumb.jpg

And something I picked up for a friend

post-3690-1184482643_thumb.jpg

Should have a copy of recent Loph shots in a couple of days, I know thats what you would all rather see :lol:

post-3690-1184482535_thumb.jpg

post-3690-1184482558_thumb.jpg

post-3690-1184482581_thumb.jpg

post-3690-1184482597_thumb.jpg

post-3690-1184482535_thumb.jpg

post-3690-1184482558_thumb.jpg

post-3690-1184482581_thumb.jpg

post-3690-1184482597_thumb.jpg

Hi Gamma, the Unsure one seems to be some kind of Trichocereus Hybrid. Maybe Peruvianus with something else. It´s hard to tell. bye Eg

What was the prize of the large ones in the last picture? The Prices of Bunnings kick ass. TBM´s of that size cost about 30€ at Ebay Germany! bye Eg

I only got 1 TB and the 2 TBMs with rot from Bunnings, which were all AUD$6.45 - the rest came from the wholesaler who supply Bunnings and Kmart, and were AUD$3.50 each for the TBs and the TBMs without branches, and $5 for the branched TBMs.

The larger TBMs were AUD$25. I measured it(from the top of the casing), the taller column is 190mm, 25mm diamter at the top and 40mm at the base. The shorter column is 150mm, with a 30mm diameter. The stump in the middle is 35mm high with a 50mm diameter.

The big Trich is about 600mm(measured from casing), 70mm wide, and cost AUD$60.

Thanks. The prices for the small ones from bunnings are great. The Prices for the larger ones are ok. I wouldnt recommend trying the taste because they´re probably treated! Take Care! bye Eg

And something I picked up for a friend

That TBM looks really really like the "other" TBM strain, the rare one! It doesn't look etiolated and I see no areoles. Don't give it away!

You can get some nice TBMs at Hamiltons, but that is a decent find even if it turns out to be the normal strain in the end.

EG is right, all Hamiltons stock is treated with systemics.

they still had four more of them, I have to give it away, they already know they are getting it, and I need the money back heh :) Besides, they are generous, having already offered to cut up and share the T.Pac for free(I declined).

What do you mean by 'systemics'?

gamma can you get some better pics of that Long TBM that Apoth is talking about, would love to know for sure. :drool2:

Thanks

AJ