The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mandragora

Salvia divinorum

Guest mandragora

l

Edited by mandragora

Doesn't need a break, and october in germany is definitely not to hot for it. I find that in autumn I get mould and spidermite problems on my hothouse salvia plants. Have you checked for mites? also, they go into flowering stage at that time of year and don't really grow much. you should leave a solid woody stem for winter as soft green ones are more likely to rot. also keep above 10 deg C. they don't like it cold and don't like frost (ie they die).

Guest mandragora

l

Edited by mandragora

they will die with the first frost. no second chance.

Guest mandragora

l

Edited by mandragora

I'm not really used to living in a place that gets frosts, so i am a bit ignorant about them. If your plant is under the cover of the side of the house, but nevertheless, still outside, will it get frost bite?

or is it only if they are not covered outside that they get it, like the lawn?

Originally posted by darcy:

I'm not really used to living in a place that gets frosts, so i am a bit ignorant about them. If your plant is under the cover of the side of the house, but nevertheless, still outside, will it get frost bite?

or is it only if they are not covered outside that they get it, like the lawn?

Frost is at about -1 degC. The air temp can be +1 deg C, but a windchill along the ground can drop it by 2 deg C and cause frost on the lawn. But that's only the beginning of it if you are in europe. Things get MUCH colder and at -5 degC there is no discussion where the frost has been.

I don't know what salvias limit is, but I know that it gest wiped out by frost, even in the wild. A couple of years ago my supplier told me that the prices for primo went up cos the summer was too wet (poor quality leaf) and the winter was frosty. The rainforest would protect from most frosts, but I guess not all of them.

I got one growing in the ground in my shade house which survived the winter cold and frosts. I think our winter temps over here are probably at salvias lower limits though.

Locals hereabouts try to protect frost sensitive plants by hosing the frozen surface of the leaves before the sun strikes them, or before the freezing process has a chance to burst the cells ( depending on who you ask ).

Never tried it myself. But would light misting at the right time be a possible way to protect plants inadvertantly exposed to frosts? Wouldn't want to do it regularly of course as it means standing outside each am in the freezing ;

if you're dealing with just light frosts, then hosing yor plants at night will help. There is no point doing it after the frost as the cells would have burst by then. It has to be done before the frost, as water generally keeps the temperature below it's surface more constant. Many berry farms use this as a means to protect their crops and have the sprinklers on all night. It reduces the windchill factor.

You should really believe torsten and get that plant into safety right now.

"Frost" in Australia is one thing, in many places it's even a phenomenon.

"FROST" in Germany is a fact of life, and you can rely on the fact that it's gotta hit soon, and hit hard.

Guest mandragora

Okay we set up a experiment: two plants are safe in the house, the rest is cutted and under cover outside. I will see how they are going.