Sign in to follow this  
platypii

Who knows, some sort of brown mushroom

Question

Heres a few pics, they may be slightly dark, but these were freshly picked

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Spore printing revealed purplish brown to black spores, however very little blue staining occurred at all as these aged. They are growing on a dense lawn with a lot of rotting grass and leaves underneath. Any help appreciated. :)

6 answers to this question

theyre deceptive arent they, i think its a psathyrella most likely.

not sure as to an id but i certainly wouldnt be eating them

^^^^Never fear, eating them is not really on my mind at this stage. More out of fungal curiousity did I post these, they look a lot like psilocybe subaeriginosa yet at the same time, don't. Another question- this lawn I spoke of, last year was relatively free of mushrooms, except for a small patch of un-id'ed yellow conic shrooms- could dog food carry fungus/mushroom spores? Because really the only addition to my 'gardening' regime at my rented house is one large bushy rottweiler who, understandably, doesn't use the toilet; nay, he useth the lawn. As dilligent as I am, I can't find all his waste..... Anyhow, why, this year, would I have A. Phalloides everywhere, these weird pictures above, more of the strange conic bright yellow mushrooms and waht appears to be another small RED mushroom variety, with an undualting, wavy cap plus 'puffball' shrooms, with speckled brown caps- aherm, why would they have sprung up this year? Could dog food transpost spores from animals killed in the processing of them?

There is a bit more moisture around this year, maybe they were always there but the conditions weren't right for them to fruit until now.

could be the boost of N from the dogs piss is stimulating fruiting?

^^^Yeah...but I like the dog shit idea :).

Seriously, could spores survive transportation thru/within an animal, which is subsequently killed, processed tinned etc- eeaten, metabolised and excreted by a canine, then proceed upon general mycellium/fruiting production? I know fungal spores are considered some of the hardest material known....

I have some more picts. of the bright golden conic shrooms I mentioned, as welll as the plate-like amanita 'death-cap'. I will post them soobn, as I'd like them ID'ed, just for kicks.

And while I'm talking about doggies- what are the chances of my beautiful boy eating such mushrooms? A. Phalloides smell quite nice, so I'm in the habit of picking them and discarding, but I feel bad for the fruit going to waste in propagation terms. Is my big fellow at any risk? He certainly likes to eat whatnots, and I've seen him skulking (very cute though) near the phalloides patch (which is growing- good/bad)

Hehehe, here he is, but I'd really like any insight into these queries...

Henry.jpg

Bit wary of the ole camera but he's a great warm chap. Currently he's a'snoring away....