The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
reshroomED

Yellow stainers?

Had a quick run out to a pine plantation yesterday to grab some amanitas for printing. Plenty of milk-caps still about, but a poor season so far.

I also came across a few dozen lovely big field mushies. Up to about 6" dia., and in beautiful condition. I usually suspect any large pristine ones to be yellow-stainers, so give them a scratch on the cap. No staining at all was evident so I proceeded picking. But a glance in the bag while heading back to the car showed severe yellow staining on the cut stems only. Pulled a couple out and squeezed, squashed,etc the caps in an attempt to make them stain, but to no avail.

I'm guessing just a xanthodermus with low levels of whatever causes the staining, but strange that it's in the stem only.

Is anyone aware of what these are?

ed

Dirty ol stainers.

They have really been pissin me off this year, popping up in places where i wouldnt expect to find them and like you said ED, only minor staining that takes a little longer than usual to appear. I have found the older the cap the less it seems to stain.

When speaking of scratching to produce the yellow stain, is it a vigorous slash or just a poke? Just curious, several large strange orange mushrooms have appeared which reveal a bright yellow surface when the viscid layer is scratched off

Just a scratch on the surface with your fingernail should be enough Willow. They USUALLY stain very easily once handled.

the younger unopened caps stain more readily then older flatter caps

I've been told NOT to eat the yellow stainers since I was a piccaniny, but I met an old couple in the domain in Hobart picking them, and when I warned them they told me they'ld eaten them for years with no problems! Confusing? Well most sources say avoid yellow stainers, and that's the choice I make. They are supposedly only slightly poisonous, causing gastro, headaches and sweats in some people. By the way, I'm referring to Agaricus xanthoderma.