The Corroboree
xShiva.spacetechnology

Aussie politicians could face drug tests

May 25, 2007

POLITICIANS suspected of drug abuse could be tested like footy players, according to Prime Minister John Howard.

Mr Howard said MPs should face compulsory screening if evidence of problems emerged.

"If there's a case for it to be introduced, if there was evidence ... I would be in favour of it," Mr Howard said.

The federal government stoush with the AFL escalated today as Mr Howard joined critics claiming the league was too soft on players using illegal drugs.

"I don't think the attitude being taken by the AFL is as rigorous as it could be and I think they should be tougher," Mr Howard said.

The Government wants players to be named and shamed the first time they are caught using illegal substances.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou angrily defended the policy ahead of talks this afternoon with Sports Minister George Brandis and Minister for Ageing Christopher Pyne, who is responsible for illegal drugs policy.

The World Anti-Doping Agency has also attacked the AFL over a policy that keeps the names of players who test positive secret until a third offence.

Mr Demetriou denied drug users were let off the hook and was confident government funding would not be withdrawn because of the dispute.

The AFL intervened and organised rehabilitation as soon as a player tested positive, he said.

AFL players faced tests outside competition unlike other sports.

"We are not soft on drugs ... of course we find drugs abhorrent," Mr Demetriou said on Southern Cross radio.

Mr Howard seemed unaware AFL players were tested in their private lives.

"Our policy as you know is something that's been agreed to by the players," Mr Demetriou said.

"They've volunteered, they're the only citizens that we know of in this country that have volunteered for this program to be tested in their private lives."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...936-661,00.html

"Mr Howard said MPs should face compulsory screening if evidence of problems emerged."

Wot a DICK peoples private lives should b just that, wot is the problem that people are using drugs or its affecting their work?

If their work is affected surely they have measures in place to deal with it.

The AFL aint soft on drugs my understanding is 3 strikes & your out & now with rehab the 1st time, I dont get the big problem apparently its cause these people are role models & shouldnt use drugs cause it conveys a 'bad image' they already convey a 'bad image' with legal drugs & the only reason the public know they ar'nt good role models is cause their tested then touted as such in the media.

I dont see the point in testing for recreational drugs in sport it aint going to affect their performance so why do it?

People who dont like the other codes of footy can go play rugby they dont test for cannabis at least, I knew an ARL player who played for a few different teams, state of origin & his country who went to play rugby cause they didnt test for cannabis, he was sad he couldnt play the sport he loved & live the way he wanted but was happy to take on new challenges in a sport where he could live how he chose fit. He went on to play for Australia in rugby & would still drop round to a foafs house when they were in coffs harbour for training (lucky foaf lived 100m from their training field reporters couldnt even get that close HeHe) to suck back on a few billies, have a sunday roast & shoot the breeze.

May 25, 2007

Mr Howard said MPs should face compulsory screening if evidence of problems emerged.

like what... if they suddenly stop being fuckheads?

Edited by shroomytoonos

Lol Shroomy :lol:

I think this is just one way for them to get the fear of drugs into the mainstream culture. If the pollies wont do it - it must be bad! Quick lock up my kids before they use the tools of the devil!! What a draconian society we live in... One day I'm gonna win the lottery and buy my own island and create my own country with laws that make sense and dont get influenced by the hopeless western governments... That'll fuck em :P

"I think this is just one way for them to get the fear of drugs into the mainstream culture."

Yeah I had a thought similiar to that but thought it might just b a way to get drug testing into mainstream culture. U know like saying we get tested & dont mind so why dont the general public get tested?, then BAM everyone who wants to work is being drug tested regularly.

"So they f*cking should!" was my first thought upon seeing this topic. It was also my 2nd, 3rd and final thoughts on the subject. They are the ill informed and/or ignorant people responsible for prohibition (and all the harm it causes) so the very least they should do is set an example.

the thing that pissed me off was that a member of some christian party (family first?) was calling for this and basically singled out the greens, saying that they should be the most likely target for such tests. fuck that! if the greens all have to do it, then they should all do it.

anyway a green came out and said she would gladly submit to testing for drugs AND ALCOHOL. hah!

up the mighty greens.

Fuck Family First and their slander! Politics has never been about policy, only publicity. AFAIK Greens are all for drug law reform but not for breaking the law, it is an immature accusation that all greenies must therefore be druggies, but then i do not expect much rational argument from the fundamntally christian Family First party. What i hate is their naming and how it sucks everyone in. It means nothing just like labour caring for workers rights or liberal being in any way.. liberal.

Drug and Alcohol tests are a good idea, might get rid of some of the bullshit if they get off the booze.

---

I wish there was a bloodtest for 'asshole' they could really up the standard of discussion.

Costello is a schoolyard bully always making cheap jokes and personal insults, really that Mr. Speaker is a pissweak teacher if he cannot control the schoolkids, orhe just lets the smartarse of the class openly ridicule everyone else.. goddammit i hate that asshole as if i ever bother waching question time.

Last thing i noticed... now.. am i some kind of retard here... maybe i misunderstood. Costello with huge pride says it is a GOOD thing, that on average Australians are paying less tax... a GOOD thing? can we have a looksee at what represents a well functioning, strong economy? hmm a rich population capable of high taxpaying ensuring a rich country perhaps? if we all NEED tax cuts it could be cuz.. generally Australians are Poorer maybe? or maybe it is to appease us? when really it is the last thing any country needs, why not build on the wealth of others, if our collective wealth is pooled together this country has a future, if the funds are spent properly...

I guess if you're a self-serving politician with no pride in your country its best to cheat your country of proper economic foundations, proper economic security, cash out on our current situation and share the wealth with your friends while making sure the rest of australia is left poor but happy with their tax cuts. The issue is not how much we're paying but what they're doing with our money, at the moment they're keeping Australia poor, meaning that relatively speaking.. its the arse end of the world.

- I should mention that i know little about politics and economics, i just found it really backward that we should be proud of Needing tax cuts to deal with our general poverty. Fuck that I want record Tax increases if that means i have record pay increases too.

"the thing that pissed me off was that a member of some christian party (family first?) "

Im pretty sure it was Senator Bill Heffernan an ultra conservative liberal party member Known for making supid off the cuff comments who 1st brought the pollies being tested issue up & yes he was refering to the Greens.

anyway a green came out and said she would gladly submit to testing for drugs AND ALCOHOL. hah!

Ha ha! Nice.