The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Micromegas

Amazing suburban cactus

Found this guy growing in Adelaide... quite a specimen to have growing idly next to your drive way. Didn't even bother asking for a cutting, would be a shame to touch this beauty :innocent_n: not to mention far too heavy to lift!

Enjoy,

Micro

post-1521-1178531555_thumb.jpg

Found this guy growing in Adelaide... quite a specimen to have growing idly next to your drive way. Didn't even bother asking for a cutting, would be a shame to touch this beauty :innocent_n: not to mention far too heavy to lift!

Enjoy,

Micro

Awesome! Saguaro isn't it? Poor little CPM beside it looks a bit worse for wear though!

nice one

Sweet as dude.

WOW, that thing is massive!

Nice cactus!

It's a Pachycereus pringlei, or Cardon. It is native to the Baja peninsula of Mexico, and is considered by many to be the largest cactus. A fully mature plant is several times as big as this specimen.

alos has some ethnobotanical uses as well, a while back shulgin was looking into it and he did some experiments with it, it does sound like an interesting cactus, if i recall correctly a people that lived in the baja pennisula many years ago who are now displaced used to use this cactus and hold it iwth great esteem, made houses from the core, used the cactus as medicine and as a divinatory tool

i cant recall all the details, somehwere in hte internet is all the onformation about it.

Damn, she is goreous!! And a nice little CPM beside her :lol: I cant wait till every inch of my garden is covered in huge cacti! :drool2:

How very waterwise of you ace! Savin water at the expense of your sense of reality haha, more power to ya! Place around the corner from me has a smaller but still very chunky one of these (least I think its the same thing), some sections would only be 4 feet long but are over a foot wide, crazy stuff. Big gaping infected cut marks where gnomes have gone snippin on the side away from the house and the streetlight lol... lets just hope that big bastard doesn't fall on anyone, yeeowch! three weeks with tweezers for the prickles, an hour with an air compressor to reinflate ya :D

I am always amazed by the ability of plants to travel the world.

Thanks for the id xerimyco was wondering what it was. Now where can i get one for my own garden!

Funny how you can find specimens like this in people's gardens as if they just popped out of nowhere. I alsways wonder who planted them and where they came from, just like you said greendreams amazing how plants travel the globe...

Hey i can't wait either ace... but seems like i'm gonna have to :blink:

But just imagine how good friends they'll be when we've been watching them grow for 30 + years...

:wub:

i think i know that one. on a main road on the way to a certain shopping centre yeah?

You know i can't quite remember, took the photo a while back... but i think the mention of a certain shopping centre jogs my memory... and really it's not likely there's another one of these just lurking around Adelaide :rolleyes: