The Corroboree
apothecary

sub season

tis fairly common Jabez

tis fairly common Jabez

Yeah, sterile subs they tell me over at shroomey.

They do look pretty cool :lol:

went for a good drive out of melbourne yesterday on a picking mission. first we went to mt maccedon but we didnt have any luck there so we went to another spot we heard about. The spot ended up bein real good, we just pulled over on teh side of the road and found about 250 in the dark w/ torches. We had about 60 of them but the same night we got pulled over police and had to kick them down the drain! :BANGHEAD2: ahh well.

Some of the subs were as big as my hand ill upload pohot's off my phone later

Looks pretty subbly to me, just a baby one.

Find ones that look like that on most picks.

But how would you know?

Just looking over at some of the other psilocybes and some of them look Identical to subs and so if there is new psilocybes floating around australia (like people are claiming), then it wouldnt be out of the question to assume they may have the same appearance.

Maybe I dont know as much as I thought when it comes to subs between the miniture wavy capped super patch subs, the white capped sterile subs and now the dung lovin subs, my heads spining :lol:

Anyway thought this was a trip, subs growing on some of that red tambark.

Wish I could of got a better shot but this patch is right out side one of my customers doors and everyday for the last 2 weeks I've been able to slowly walk past and see how there going. But today I thought stuff it, at least take a photo!

probably didnt look didnt look to professional :blush: but I refuse to go to work and be a robot!!

post-968-1182932278_thumb.jpgpost-968-1182933528_thumb.jpg

post-968-1182932948_thumb.jpg

post-968-1182932278_thumb.jpg

post-968-1182933528_thumb.jpg

post-968-1182932278_thumb.jpg

post-968-1182933528_thumb.jpg

Edited by jabez

post-968-1182932948_thumb.jpgAnd a wavy capped one.

Edited by jabez

wow some pretty unique finds guys. ive got a scope that i can take reasonable digi pix through, good for sussing out cystidia etc but i cant measure spores.. im happy to take some pics if you want. very cool...

jabez, I would say the wavy capped/white gill/miniature/etcetera are all one kind of 'sub' and that these macroscopic (rather than microscopic, e.g. bluemeanie already determined lots of cystidia size variability in regional sub specimens) differences are environmentally dependant.

By this I do not only mean substrate, but also ambient humidity for example, from my rudimentary knowledge, which when high (i.e during/post rain), causes the fruitbody to grow while the spores cling to the gills.

As humidity drops (sun comes out, wind blows) the moisture holding the spores onto the gills evaporates and they fly away :shroomer:

The dung loving specimens which only a few people have found (maybe it was just Passive?), however could very possibly be a new species altogether.

Nice shot of the wavy caps, I have seen specimens (non wavy) growing here inbetween a similar or same matting of groundcover plant (anyone know what it is?), maybe live specimens of this plant could be planted as a preparation for introducing a 'transplanted patch' :wink: to make them feel at home?

EDIT: Forgot to say, I dunno if I agree that they are 'sterile'.

Edited by apothecary

Its true apo, they are 'sterile' subs - they grow without any spores. It is *reasonably* common to find the odd mushroom that is sterile, I have heaps of photos of some and will post them this afternoon after work.

Looks like a Myoporum sp. the creeping type. We don't have the creeping ones around Sydney apoth, well not natural ones. The main NSW species are upright shrubs. I could be wrong on the ID though. Pics of flowers would help. Looks like something that would be very easy to propagate vegetatively though. Could well be worth doing some research as to if it some sort of colonizing plant for subs.

Great finds people, I have to say I am a little envious.

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

jabez, I would say the wavy capped/white gill/miniature/etcetera are all one kind of 'sub' and that these macroscopic (rather than microscopic, e.g. bluemeanie already determined lots of cystidia size variability in regional sub specimens) differences are environmentally dependant.

By this I do not only mean substrate, but also ambient humidity for example, from my rudimentary knowledge, which when high (i.e during/post rain), causes the fruitbody to grow while the spores cling to the gills.

As humidity drops (sun comes out, wind blows) the moisture holding the spores onto the gills evaporates and they fly away :shroomer:

The dung loving specimens which only a few people have found (maybe it was just Passive?), however could very possibly be a new species altogether.

Nice shot of the wavy caps, I have seen specimens (non wavy) growing here inbetween a similar or same matting of groundcover plant (anyone know what it is?), maybe live specimens of this plant could be planted as a preparation for introducing a 'transplanted patch' :wink: to make them feel at home?

I too have found (apparent) subs growing on dung, not sure if it was roo or wombat but was in a forest.

I find that in the forests, they tend to be taller and smoother/"perfecter" caps, and in woodchips/garden beds they're quite wavy. Though I have seen wavy ones in the forest on occasion.

I too have found (apparent) subs growing on dung, not sure if it was roo or wombat but was in a forest.

Yeh, there is a few (imo) different dung lovers of the active sort. The dung lover i found last season that BM looked at was a cow dung lover, i couldnt find the roo poo one last season and havent had a good look for it in the same location this year. The psilocybe on roo or wallaby poo Nat found this year was in a differnt patch again but i have seen this one numerous times at various locations as have a fair amount of other ppl i know.

Where the fudge is BM when ya need him, i thought he woulda been around being a good year for it and all. I seriously want someone to have a close look at the lil fella i have here and suss it out.

Make sure ya keep any poo lovers ya find Alkatrope and anyone else for that matter, they really need to be looked at properly i think.

I'll admit my knowledge of fungi probably doesn’t go much further than knowing how to locate subs and I know I'll get shot down for saying this, but I'm not convinced those little wavy capped fellas are subs.

I realise subs grow in all different variations, but I think this is mostly because of the environment more than genetics, right? Even the ones that grow in the forest or grassy areas, which I find grow exactly like alkatrope said.

I know this because I dropped some of those bush subs on some mulch chips in the suburbs and chunky little subs came up.

I also know its common to find subs in woodchip that only usually have 3 cm caps, but if its a big patch I find that you always at least find a few that are bigger and yes some mulch chip subs do go wavy but not uniformed and not like clock work with maturity. The biggest thing to grab me is how small they were, I mean it wouldn’t have even been worth picking half of them because they were 1 cm caps or even less and they all had thin caps and thin stems and not 1 was over 2.5 cm out of a 2 metre radius packed patch, with smaller patches scatted around.

Couldnt be Environment because I found those other subs in the same mulch bed and they were quite big and chunky in a appearance, with out any sign of of a wavy cap. So I guess most people would just say it was a generic thing, but what about the spore print.

I got a heap of spore prints from these little guys and compared them to subs and I consistently found the subs to be dark brown and these little ones were consistently dark brown but you can clearly see a purple tinge. I’ve never been able to see any purple in sub spores, by the way.

Anyway what ever they are it was a fascinating find and to be honest looked amazing :drool2:

Are these subs?

...Speaking of dung species, a friend found a nice patch of about 20 or so throughout kangaroo poo. THey looked identical to every other sa sub though. SA subss tend to be longer and skinnier whereas melb seem to be stockier and fatter, from pictures at least. Fat stem subs down here tend to grow really tall and big so they remain proportionally the same. THe roo ones looked like every ohter subs i've found and sure they vary a lot in fatness and bulk and size but they more or less all look like the same genus to me. Still next time i find roo poo patch ill have my gnome send it into a lab for testing.

Make sure ya keep any poo lovers ya find Alkatrope and anyone else for that matter, they really need to be looked at properly i think.

Will do :)

how these lil sub poo munchers go in home grow setup??

can someone please tell me the difference between P Suberuginosa and P Australiana????

They look exactly the same to me!!!

can someone please tell me the difference between P Suberuginosa and P Australiana????

They look exactly the same to me!!!

I think there classed as the same thing now, but I'm really interested in knowing what the difference was to make them class Psilocybe australiana as a different species in the first place?

how these lil sub poo munchers go in home grow setup??

Never tried indoor wood lovers yowie, but i reckon something like one of these lil beauties could do the job very well. If i had the cash to throw around i would prolly try one out

Wine cooler

They are usually very expensive but i guess if ya shopped around you would find a cheaper version.

I think there classed as the same thing now, but I'm really interested in knowing what the difference was to make them class Psilocybe australiana as a different species in the first place?

I think the Subs that were supposed to be Australiana where your classic, woodchip wavy capped ones, while the eucalypta were the more bell shaped, forest style ones typical of South Australia.

yep, that's what I thought! FOAF said he's seen both in SA :) They all just assumed they were subs!

I think the Subs that were supposed to be Australiana where your classic, woodchip wavy capped ones, while the eucalypta were the more bell shaped, forest style ones typical of South Australia.

Was the Australiana meant to be smaller than normal subs, by any chance? :rolleyes:

Just got back to see this thread, it a whopper!! :drool2:

Ill add my latest pics from SA this season, from a location shown to me by an old friend :worship::)

Enjoy. (low res tho)

Incoming UFO's...

gallery_1274_150_22556.jpg

Bullets rising...

gallery_1274_150_8069.jpg

Single stunner....

med_gallery_1274_150_22390.jpg

Smoothie juvie...

med_gallery_1274_150_2968.jpg

Water babies....

med_gallery_1274_150_6342.jpg

Picture perfect....

med_gallery_1274_150_1345.jpg

Unusual suspect....

med_gallery_1274_150_18219.jpg

Different dwarfs...

med_gallery_1274_150_5698.jpg

Some small samples....

gallery_1274_150_17195.jpg

Sorry for the over blue toned looking photos, it was very overcast and the flash was a bit stong at the time...

BD

Edited by BlackDragon

Nice finds and photos!

Some sexy arse pics there BD, verrrrry nice.