The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ENtiTY

What the hell are these?

Anybody know what exactly these are? SWIM has these growing on her cakes. Thought they were pins for a start but they have grown a bit and don't look like any pins I've seen before. They can't be sclerotia can they? Do cubes even grow sclerotia?

There was no sign of contam so I'm not sure what is going on.

med_gallery_2785_4_25495.jpg

As you can see they look like warts :)

med_gallery_2785_4_38336.jpg

In this pic you can just make out some pins forming to the left at the base of the cake.

Any one shed some light on this weird growth?

holy crap, mutant pins eh? dunno what they might be but they look a bit nasty :huh:

never heard of cube sclerotia but fungi can behave in strange ways. squeeze one and see if it's ultra-hard.

Yeah SWIM just pulled one off. They are growing on all the cakes of that variety and starting to form on the cased cake of that variety as well.

Their as hard as fuck! I cut one in half and it stained the darkest blue i've ever seen!

The one SWIM pulled off was medium sized compared to the rest about 6mm in diameter and has this hard skin about 2mm thick with a soft myc looking growth on the inside.

There is this massive one growing under one of the cakes, its about 15mm across judging by what SWIM can see of it. Whatever they are they look to be DAMN potent!

There are also normal pins forming all over the place as well now. Will get SWIM to grow out the spores from these fruits to see if the mutation if that is what it is carries over to the next generation. SWIM will also take a tissue sample from the lumps to culture.

Any ideas as to what these may be?

hmm interesting! do you know what strain this person is growing?

at first i would've said mutant pins, ive seen some bizarro inside-out caps on pins n such, but if they are super hard then i have no idea!

The strain is Syzygy and obtained through the FSRE.

What do you mean by selective Agar Narc?

I'm starting to think that print wasnt a cube - perhaps a mexi/tampenensis species? Any chance swim could get some pics of the cakes when they fruit? This will be well worth keeping in the community by the sounds of it - perhaps swim should do a bit of reading up on growing sclerotia and try to get a bumper crop of philosophers stones!

Thats what I'm thinking as well Ace. Prolly Mexicana becasue the cakes are pinning quite heavily now and from what I have read Tamp is difficult to get to fruit. Then again maybe SWIM just freaked the right environment for them. Doubt it. The pins are forming to large for Tamp.

One thing that is confusing though is that I though Mexicana couldn't be grown on BRF/Verm cakes. The cakes colonise very fast, 10 days I think SWIM said, with nice thick ropey myc.

Another 3-4 days will tell the tale I suppose. The fruits should make an ID possible. Syzygy and Mexicana look nothing alike from the pics I have seen. I tried to get some info on Syzygy but came up with very little, might post a few Q's for some A's on the Shroomery. No doubt someone their has grown it.

So has your friend eaten a few yet Harry ?

Not yet :)

SWIM is waiting to see how big they can grow before he plucks em.

The real pins are starting to fatten up nicely now and it looks like growth has been diverted from the lumps to the pins. Will get SWIM to take some more happy snaps to show progress.

Would their be much interest in prints? Hmmm... I wonder LOL.

Cool smiley Sphinx! We need some new smileys!

I have little doubt the prints would be snatched up immediately :wink:

Perhaps if there is multiple cakes/casings with these growths, one of the cakes could be plucked of all pins early to encourage faster growth of the abnormalities? Of course, you want to at least get a couple prints though, so only do it to one as a trial :)

Sphinx's smiley doesnt work on my screen :( I think its a .gif file and I can only see .jpg for some reason :( Will it work if it is saved as a jpg? Yes, the more smileys the better :lol:

Good idea Ace, will pass that suggestion on. Hows plucking the pins and dunking to rehydrate every 2-3 weeks sound?

There are 3 cakes and 4 cases trays so plenty of printable material to come. Would be interesting to see what is growing inside the cakes and beneith the surface of the cases.

Sphinx's smiley is animated so I'm not sure if saving as a jpg will work properly. Would need a program to do the conversion I think. Worth a try anyway I guess.

Edited by Harry

Dunking should be fine, but might pose a bit of a problem - dont pins begin to rot if left in really damp conditions? Perhaps the same might happen here? Though I think I've read that sclerotia are much more tolerant, so perhaps it'd be ok?

Ahh, bugger about the smiley - I saw one in another thread this morning - a smiley getting tossed in the air by little smileys - it was animated too, so I'm not sure what the difference was? No biggie - I will just mentally insert a random smiley into the space where sphinx's should be myself :P

Last cake SWIM dunked after a flush had pins on it and they actually grew while submerged. But that is a good point, the growths may not like going for a swim. Maybe just misting and moistening of the vermiculite base at regular intervals would be better. The biggest growth is located where the base of the cake meets the water soaked vermiculi so it looks like the avalibility of moisture is a key issue in regards to growth and size. Might be able to inject water into the cake in locations around the growth maybe. Bit labour intensive but it would be cool to get some massive mushy warts to chomp on... er... I mean flush down the toilet.

Yeah tried to copy the smiley but only caught a frame so looks like you need a program and a complete copy of the smiley's file to convert.

Edited by Harry

I wonder if anyway has just eaten the whole cake...

Smileys are fun :) and you guys must have the most bullshit jobs! I wrote at like 10 and you've posted heaps since then! You both should get your ass on msn or skype or something, skype yeah skype

I get most i like from wetdreams.ws

Here's some for ya

angel-dance.gifangel-tap.gifblow.gifscared_125.giflaughing_pointingL.gificon_king2.gifjump_125.gifcrazy_pilot.gif

Hard work eh, lunchtime woo!

cheers.gif

Lol - have your cake and eat it too :shroomer::P Probably not very nice having all the verm thru it, but a grain one might be ok :lol:

Dammit - cant see any of your smileys Sphinx! :( They all come up as grey boxes :( Oh well, they look like beautiful women pole dancing (at least in my head :P)

Lol - this is becoming my job I think - posting at the corroboree - do you think Torsten would start paying us per post? :P Cha-ching!

Would eating a cake have the desired effect or is it the fruits where the fun stuff happens?

They're damn good smiles man ace you got to see them!

SKYPE FOOLS!! :lol:

wierd see i've got into this strange motivated mood to work and get things done, and i'm actually happy about it! doing a good job etc.. but at the same time i'm so accustomed to sooo much msn and sab posting it's kinda hard to work even if i wanted to! lucky i have an easy job they hey :wink:

LOL, dems some funny smileys LOL. I like Mr aeroplane smiley :)

Hehe sometime I feel guilty that I spend so much of my bosses time on the forum... Then I remember he hasen't been paying my superannuation... So this is my way of say Fuck you very much!

Hmmm yummy! New health diet, mushie cakes :) Bit rough going down but at least your turds won't be compacted and will have perfect moisture content thanks to that wholesome vermiculi ! Try some TODAY!

LOL

Sounds good harry :) keep us up with the pics

fyi the second flush is up, just noticed pins today (some are around an inch already! haven't even been looking!!) will see how it goes with earlier pickings, but reeeally looking forward to what orissa has to say, i'll put pics up once they're ready

what else...

i had something..

fuck it

yeah! your boss, man, quit that job, well if your pay is decent and all you have to do with your day is sab post then stick with it for a bit, but doesn't sound good :( at least your doing the right thing and putting yourself first in the situation, kudos to you my good man! thumbup.gif

weeeeee.gif i'm outa here guys!

actually i'm not i just wanted to use that scooter smiley

ps: fucking hate silverchair AND arcade fire scared_125.gif

edit: Whoa harry! you joined on my birthday!

Edited by Sphinx

Lol - have you two been raiding the coffee jar again? Yabbering on like a pair of old women :P

And I still cant see the fcking smileys!! :BANGHEAD2: Feel like I'm on the outside of an inside joke :(

Blocked :( Damn work computer restrictions :P

:(

you need a new computer ace.. or a new job with a different computer.. what do you do? we'll get you a job down here in mel.. harry, want a job in mel? yeah yeah awesome