The Corroboree
whit3rabbit

Brug seed pod?

Found this on my brugmansia today, and I've never seen one on it before. Is it a seed pod? I've only got the one plant and I've been told its near impossible for them to self pollinate, so if it is then thats why I've never seen it before.

post-1697-1176175979_thumb.jpg

I can get a better photo if needed.

Bit hard to tell, I thought they were similar to the datura pods - like thorny little nuts - but I think brugs may look more like beans or okra pods - you may be in luck :lol: I had a book from the library a while ago - I think they looked somewhat similar, but I cant quite remember - stupid memory! :P

Perhaps a google search?

Very nicely done Kadakuda! I hope that helps whit3rabbit - it was what I was thining, but I couldnt quite remember :P

Tis a very good ID pic - perhaps there is a way to get it on a Brug ID page to be pinned?

Tis a very good ID pic - perhaps there is a way to get it on a Brug ID page to be pinned?
Ethnowiki?
Bit hard to tell, I thought they were similar to the datura pods - like thorny little nuts - but I think brugs may look more like beans or okra pods - you may be in luck
Brugmansia fruit shapes resemble okra, chili pepper, green bean and egg. These seed pods never have spines or bumps and they do not open on their own like most Datura seed pods do.____Took that from the site kadakuda linked.

One thing I've noticed is lots of general image galleries are lacking B. insignis, as is that seed ID photo. Seeing as thats what I've got, and the early age of the seed pod, I cant say it resembles any in that photo, but I cant think of anything else it could be.

Any ideas on when I should remove it?

whit3rabbit, what species of brug?

has it flowered? if it is a seed pod, certainly does not look ready to remove....i would wait until it starts changing colour.

they mention B. x insignis

http://www.abads.net/description_and_identification_o.htm

also see http://www.abads.net/brugidchart.htm for a good ID key.

edit: perhaps they dont mention insignis because it is a hybrid between B. suaveolens and B.

versicolor. perhaps looking into those 2 sp. will give some idea as to seed pod form?

Edited by kadakuda

http://valleygrow.safeshopper.com/34/136.htm?976

Looks like the start of a seed pod to me whit3rabbit.

Keep an eye on the lighter green protrusion on the tip.

:wink:

Edited by tonic

did the protrusion on your plant used to be a flower?

Yeh they're used to be a flower there. Went down and looked at it earlier and found about 8 more, some with the middle bit (calyx?) of the flower sticking out of them.

paradox, its an insignis.

edit: perhaps they dont mention insignis because it is a hybrid between B. suaveolens and B.

versicolor. perhaps looking into those 2 sp. will give some idea as to seed pod form?

I've seen references to it as both a species and hybrid, but your links all seem to point to it being a hybrid. That clears things up for me.

I'm very confused as to how it got pollinated in the first place. I have tried doing it myself with pollen froma friends plant to no success. There's no other brugs (that I know of) in the area. Maybe it has something to do with all the recent rain keeping it in flower for the last 2 1/2 weeks, more flowers just kept on coming.

Edited by whit3rabbit

chances are, the thing will fall of very soon and no seedpod will be formed, because as you said you don't have any other brugs around. if you have several different brugs, than you get your own seeds quite regularly. it's best to wait till the seed husk dries out and than harvest the seeds. all brugs apart from the sanquineas flower with a long photoperiode, but very often they overlap anyway.

all brugs apart from the sanquineas flower with a long photoperiode, but very often they overlap anyway.
Good info there, I had no idea what you were talking bout so I wiki'd that shit.

chances are, the thing will fall of very soon and no seedpod will be formed

yep, if it is successful pollination which isn't likely it will persist and grow bigger bit if it isn't successful it will fall off very shortly. Brugs rarely pollinate by themselves, even when growing alot of different types and species close to each other you really see pods formed by themselves. Bee's just don't seem to be good pollinators for them. Only arborea will self pollinate and produce lots of pods naturally.

Perhaps the bees are too busy trippin between plants? :P Poor buggers would be off collecting invisible pollen to start honey-man armies!! :shroomer:

moths and humming birds, depending on the species.

australia doesn't have moths? i seem to remember yur country having MANY moth species. or is viable seed not a problem if there are 2 plants?

we have plenty of moths, just not the right ones :)

I also got something like seed pod that looks like that in whit3rabbit's photo, from what I can see, where a flower used to be but it doesn't really seem to evolve fast. In my occasion though, there were 3-4 small plants that flowered simulataneously. Here are my plants.

dscn1042hi9.th.jpg

dscn1859rt2.th.jpg

Note that all plants are from cuttings of the same mother plant...

Edited by mutant

I bet one bite of that seed pod would send you....

Well...

If you've done Brugmansia/Datura you know where you'd go (to hell)

...and if you haven't ingested Brugmansia/Datura...you don't want to know...

Here's the seedpod , I took the photograph today.

dscn1918zg2.th.jpg

Here's the seedpod , I took the photograph today.

dscn1918zg2.th.jpg

I still get them popping up every now and then, but they never grow, just sit around and fall off after a few days. And it still seems like it does it more often when its been raining for a few days straight during flowering.

So, no seeds inside?? Mine has been there for quite a time....

those photos display a very inmature seed pod, you have to wait till it will get as long as a finger or so, and than the husk will turn brown, a sure sign that the seeds inside are ready to do there thing.

brugmansia seedpods come in many different shapes and sizes, some like yours are finger like, others more apple and pear shape like and with a similar size.