The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
KlUe

1 month old Bridgesii seedling..

Thought these pics might be a little interesting to my fellow cacti loving peeps...

About a month ago this little dude sprung up from the soil... and over last couple days noticed this other darker green growth.

Now at about 5 days after I first noticed it, it actually looks like its another pup growing from the side. The only other thing I could think of is another seedling somehow rooted into the bigger one.

Sorry for pic quality but they're pretty small! (And just in case u were thinking - yes, it is attached, i've tried to separate gently and it is stuck on there :P)

KlUe

post-2817-1176123295_thumb.jpg

post-2817-1176123309_thumb.jpg

post-2817-1176123320_thumb.jpg

post-2817-1176123345_thumb.jpg

Double header?

How common is it dqd? This is my first seedling batch so not very familiar :)

Hi KlUe,

that looks very cool and strange. Double headers normally develope their second head after the seedling stage. You didn´t superglued it, did you?Confess!lol :drool2:

Is it possible that it´s another seed that germinated on top of the other? I never saw something like that. The Fact that the seedling on top has another color confuses me. If it would be a pup, it would have the same color like the one on the bottom. It looks more like an accidential graft would look like. Keep posting some pics of this curiosity. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Thats interesting, I see that the 'pup' still has the seed shell attached, I don't suppose you noticed if the main head had another seed attached, or if that's the same one? That would determine whether it came from the same seed or not.

Thats interesting, I see that the 'pup' still has the seed shell attached, I don't suppose you noticed if the main head had another seed attached, or if that's the same one? That would determine whether it came from the same seed or not.

Hey mate, yeah thats what is strange - the pup still has the seed case on it.. But no, I didn't notice the other seedling until it had a pup from it, since it didn't stand out from the others until now.

I'll keep you all posted with pics etc. :)

KlUe

lol it looks like a seedling germinating on the side of a seedling? can't be sure though.

Its a BOY !!

Congratulations papa :)

Haha - I think Harry hit the nail on the head!! :P And he appears ready for some nookie - already got his protective seed coat on to prevent CTDs (cacti transmitted diseases :P) lol

lol it looks like a seedling germinating on the side of a seedling? can't be sure though.

It does look similar to a seedling germinating on the side - but have you ever heard of one that attached itself to another?

There is no visible roots - but its definitely stuck tight on there.

I've had seeds germinate on-top of each other/next to each other and get 'grafted'. Just like yours.

The little pissy one died off on me though. :(

I've had seeds germinate on-top of each other/next to each other and get 'grafted'. Just like yours.

The little pissy one died off on me though. :(

Hey, cheers for the clarification Benzito :)

Fingers crossed they both survive!

KlUe