The Corroboree
themagicmushroom

Would this device be legal for import??

I always thought there was more to a press than that - almost looks easy enough to make :wink:

know anyone in the metal trade?

its a herb press and not a pill press, so id think it would.... BUT ive had no experience with customs

:o $115 per set? god damn I could make several sets a day

:scratchhead: I would have thought it'd take more pressure

go to your local hardware and get a stainless steel flat punch of about 5-6mm diameter. take it to a metal workshop and get them to drill a matching hole through a 25mm block of stainless steel. Get a thick steel plate.

The whole thing cost me $30, but you can probably get it for about $5 if you shop around. Drilling the hole is the most expensive part, so find a mate with a workshop.

Place holed block on plate fill with compressible powder, gently tamp with punch then whack once [not too hard] with half pound hammer.

jack up block and gently tap out pill. about 50-80% will come out fine. the rest will break and can be reground to powder.

I used to grind up nodoz and put whatever i wanted into the mix at the desired rate. The high filler component in nodoz helps to bind anything you put into them. herbal extracts, pure alkaloids etc.

It's tedious, but works well for home use. Weigth varies about 10-20%, but you get the hang of it as you go so it only varies about 5-10%. Pills have hard edges which can be smoothed by tumbling a handful of them in a jar [slowly rolling backwards and forwards on the floor] for a few minutes. Any dust can be returned to grinder.

Don't ask for any specifications etc as this is all I remember. twas over 15 years ago I did this.

ah yes, make sure you wash your tools immediately after use as some HCl salts can attack the stainless and once it is rusty and rough you won't get any pills coming out without breaking.

oh yeah, legality of the internet item? no idea. I considered importing these last year, but all the new pill press laws are vague and untested [and still changing], so I have no desired to be used as a trial guinea pig.

I reckon your could EASILY modify a home brew beer bottle capper press to press pills instead.

Like this:

4000M_135X195.gif

or this

Bench-Capper.jpg

You would need to make an adaptor fitting for the top part (Grind down a steel slug on a lathe) and make a matching part for the bottom half (Similar size slug, drill a hole down the middle of it).

This would give you the convex shape to the bottom half of the pill, the top half you could easily machine shapes into it using a dremel, engraver, etc..

Damn, even easier.. The top half could just be a slug with a thread tapped into it, then screw in a bolt of the right size, carve different shapes in different bolt heads for different pill stamps.

Piece of cake mate. The beer cap press would make easy work of this!!