The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jesus On Peyote

Psychotria Viridis vs Psychotria carthaginensis

Hey i just have a quick question,and im planning no gettin one out of the 2 stated plants (Psychotria Viridis an Psychotria carthaginensis) n am wondering, if anyone can tell can me the the main difference between the 2 strains and alkaloid levels of each? And which would grow best in Melbournes climate?

thanks

for melbourne def ps.carthaginensis

they say viridis is 4 times stronger than carth but carth grows much faster and is a lot hardier in non-tropical environments...

Agree - I've had a couple of viridis die in the same conditions that carth. withstood. My carths seem to grow at a rapid pace compared with viridis also. Definately for coming into winter I would go with carth, these plants don't like the cold..

I can't keep Viridis going over winter, and I'm in the Blue Mountains, NSW.

Doesn't get below zero degrees either.

Carthaginensis does cut back a bit in winter, but comes right back in spring everytime.

I would go Carthaginensis for Melbourne.

Great, thanks for the imput, i was leaning towards getting viridius because iv heard abit more about it but ill go with carth now.The last thing one would want is to nurse a plant only to watch it die because its not climate right.

Edited by Jesus On Peyote

i would rather improof my horticultural skill and go for viridis, if i were you.

chances are that if you don't keep them very happy they will not produce many actives at all, so why go for a plant 4 or more times weaker if you could have a go with a strong one.

let me put this into another perspective, would you grow some weak cannabis instead of super skunk, just because it's a bit easier to cultivate? one needs a couple of psychotria plants to be able to experiment, using carth you will need 4 times as many, meaning in my humble opinon that you will make it even harder on you to suceed.

let me put this into another perspective, would you grow some weak cannabis instead of super skunk,

but would one prefer a lot of weak cannabis, or a dead skunk plant?

but would one prefer a lot of weak cannabis, or a dead skunk plant?

Thats what i was thinking. If the plant doesent agree with the climate then theirs little that can be done, ittle be eaiser growing 5 healthy carths and letting them be, then growing 1 viridius and keep it under constant savalience if u know what i mean.

I get your point tho and i still plan on getting at least 1 of each to start with n see how they go. Never know.

don't be afraid of trying to grow P.Viridis...i think the difficulty of cultivating this plant is way overexagerated !

I have some, obtained from seeds, i just keep it wet, mist sometimes and that's all. It doesn't need lots of light, i don't really have any stress with this plant :) it is true that the leaves may have a difformed look when too dry, but that's all.

Go for Viridis !

Ill go with both of em :).

would be interesting to see em growing side by side. no doubt the Viridis would need more care tho.

foaf tried to extract quite a good amount of p. carth leaves...

the result was very disappointing really...

Hey Gom had the carth been bioassayed with ayahuasca?, did ur foaf have a sound tec for extraction?

Does sound disapointing.

Guest Øskorei

Your decision makes sense, Jesus - get both, and discover the growth idiosyncrasies for yourself :lol: The viridis might appreciate it if you build yourself a DIY humidity chamber out of plastic sheeting, bamboo sticks and gaffa tape.

Can any good folks comment on consumption/preparation methodology with Chacruna without the use of her companion activator b.caapi - in particular a non-chem extraction with the goal being a product for use via kindled inhalation through a water-bubbling device ? Based on the often spoken alkaloid context of 0.6% in leaf matter, it might be assumed that smoking the dried, untouched herb may hold little value if pursuing a delightful personal experience. Where legal of course.

EDIT: Sorry, a similar question was just asked while I was typing my entry :blush:

Edited by Øskorei

did ur foaf have a sound tec for extraction?

yeah regular a/b, leaves boiled in vinegar for 2 hrs +, plant matter strained out, 6 tablespoons of draincleaner added, slowly shaken and stirred (not really stirred just an expression), shellite added left for a week a so, the occasional shake....

if it had been viridis it would have yielded 1 gram but this was 200 mg at most...

"if it had been viridis it would have yielded 1 gram but this was 200 mg at most... "

Well most sources say bout 1/4 potency of viridis but your foafs experiments indicate 1/5 at most.

Are they old plants?, most inf Ive seen seems to indicate age can effect potency, at least in P.viridis.

Any other variables u can think of that would effect potency?

after reading trouts notes on ayahausca analogs and simple tryptamines i got the impression there is much variation in individual plants in many species which contain tryptamines.

this seems esp so for phalaris, some plants can have spice, some 5meo and some can be inactive.

there can be seasonal variations,daily variations and variations due to soil etc.

t s t .

foafs plants had been watered and fertilized almost daily...

they had also been allowed to set lots of seed which must have taken a good percentage of their strength...

disappointing in a sense, foaf knew what to expect but it seemed to be a lot of work for such minimal results...

it proofed the claim right:

viridis is 4 times stronger than carth!

Edited by gomaos