The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Reamers

Fruiting from non fully colonised jars

Hi All,

Has anyone tried fruiting from a cake that isn't fully colonised? I have some myc jars (edibles) that are around 95% colonised and growth seems to have halted. I can put this down to it being too cold, or that there wasn't a good mix of rice flour and vermiculite, and that they have no nutrients in this section of the jar.

So i guess im wordering what would happen if i just skipped straight to fruiting?

is there any light getting in to your incubator? doesnt take much to stimulate fruiting

Cut off the uncolonised bits of cake if you can, that should ensure no contams take hold there.

I'd say your jars probably would have stalled because of lack of gas exchange...

Thanks guys,

gives me a few places to start. Gas exchange would make sense as well, as it seems to be slowing right at the bottom of the jar where its tightly packed in.

I might just hang in there another week or so and if there is no progress i'll skip through to fruiting.

Cheers.

Ive used cakes that had stalled at about 50% and were slightly infected. I remove the bad bits by washing the whole thing under a tap and breaking them away and when happy I had removed the bad bits I crumble and case.

Seems to re start the stalled colonisation and the contams cease to be a problem.

Not the reccommended method though.