The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Antismoking tobacco?

I noticed one of the effects of anabasine is said to be 'antismoking' activity, indicating it helps break the addiction to tobacco.

Anabasine accounts for 97.6% of the alkaloids in Nicotiana glauca (tree tobacco) and that species contains very little nicotine. N. rustica, on the other hand, has much more nicotine than normal tobacco.

So heres my idea to quit smoking without funding pharmaceutical companies...

Make a mixture of mostly N. glauca, with enough N. rustica to make the product have the same nicotine concentration as storebought cigarettes and start useing it in place of cigarettes. Then over the next few weeks start putting less N. rustica in the mix until its pure N. glauca at which point (in theory) it should be easy to taper off the use of that and quit smoking all together. Right?

Comments?

Speculation?

Data that I'm missing?

What IS the percent nicotine content of dried N. rustica anyway? I cant find it anywhere.

(I "want" to quit smoking [at least thats what people tell me], but I want to keep smoking in the process- think I'm addicted?)

OH GAWD! After I spent a few years vomiting (from liver damage, renal damage, GI damage, something like that) I learned to avoid it, so no lobelia.

can't help w/the rustica idea. however, being a hardcore smoker, i've found that those new nicotine lozenges actually do stop cravings for at least 30hrs.

also, i feel it's not the nicotine that's the problem, it's the tar etc. that stuffs you. so, personally rather than trying to give up by avoiding/blocking nicotine; i'd keep the nicotine habit, through patches, gum, lozenges etc. & concentrate on avoiding the actual smoking.

whichever way, it's damn hard so i wish you the best ov luck geezer.

I was in the belief that tree tobacco-nicotiana glauca was poisonous?

Or am I confusing our australian Wild tobacco trees with tree tobacco?

Anyhu, i believe if you want to stop tobacco but still smoke other things, just go for it.

It takes a while to get the craving for tobacco out of your system, but it does go!

Also the conviction that tobacco tastes sooo good...bull, that's just addiction. Tobacco doesn't taste good, and it's like glue for lungs.

Tobacco is a close relative of datura, and practically all tobacco smokers are getting this strange I don't know why it is so good - kick out of it.

Tobacco is really just like datura, just more subtle.

By this I don't really want to put down datura- at least she's not addictive!

Well if it is poisonous that would kind of mess up my idea.

I'll probably just cut down consumption and switch to mostly homegrown tobacco (homegrown organic tobacco is better for you, stronger, and its damn near free- gotta love that).

Guest electro

auxin a company called vector tobacco is (or was) producing nicotine free smokes in the states.

It has already released the low carcinogen ones, and was scheduled (last year) to release the nicotine free (geneticly modified n.r) smokes in the third business quater of 2000 (ie sometime around now)..

in the meantime some fuck has tried to sue them over it claiming that it will give people an illusion of saftey and as such should not be allowed.

the state responded by making people pay some enormous amount of money as a bond if they wanted to farm this tobacco.

I dont know where they have gotten up to with all of this, hopefully they are still going ahead...

but if that is going ahead it will be in your neck of the woods alot sooner than here (i'm waiting for it to hit oz shores :)

it apparently tastes the same as regular tobacco, and comes in all normal & minty flavours.

Short of that you could always buy those horrid extacy cigarettes and smoke them with a nicotine patch, so you eventually train yourself to think that the nicotine is from the extacy smokes.

Those arent addictive and would be easy(er) to quit after tapering down the patch sizes and times to nil.

(i am yet to try this method ... i have the problem that i enjoy smoking tooo fuckin much)

Since I haven't revised my herbal medicine nots for over a year I could have this wrong...but can't Mullein be used as a smoke? and it is meant to be beneficial to the lungs...or something along those lines...I dunno, my head hurts.

-bumpy

mullein can be a resinous bit of gear at the right time of the season, lacks flavour though. auxin were you taking lobelia internally(ie infusion)? or smoking?

Sort of on topic:

Listening to the radio last week (Local ABC

station) and they had someone talking about the

hazards of "Chop-Chop" which I understand to be

illegal, under the counter tobacco.

Supposedly this tobacco is sold by weight,

therefore it is often made wet before sale to

increase profit.

This can cause a toxic fungus to grow with-in the

tobacco, which is inhaled in the form of spores by

the unsuspecting smoker. She claimed that there had

been four cases in Sydney due to this fungus - the

people present with fairly vauge but severe lung

problems etc.

She also went onto say that there was evidence

that the chop-chop producers were adding fungacide

to their product to avoid the above problem but

were potentially causing other problems.

For all I know, this is a scare put forward by

either Philip Morris or the Tax Department - can

anyone verify this information?

Anyone got any information if these crops are

diverted from supposedly commerical plantations

or are they specifically grown to become

"chop-chop"?

Chop-chop has increased in price dramatically

due to the drought. Perhaps I should be flogging

off some of gomaos' Virginian I have out the back

to the under-age school kiddies hanging out the

front on the Milk Bar?

[ 25. February 2003, 03:59: Message edited by: somnif ]

"auxin were you taking lobelia internally(ie infusion)? or smoking?"

I was gonna try both, but did infusion first and quit there. I had heard the infusion stopped nicotine cravings so I tried it, it didnt, I smoked, I vomited. Is that how its supposed to reduce nicotine cravings? If so you can count me out.

auxin, i think i read somewhere that lobelia taken internally was meant to be a purgative. somnif there is some truth to the wetting of chopchop, i've seen it done before - hand misted a massive amount on a tarpaulin to increase the weight. my observation that fungus had to ensue (ever heard the expression 'rolled up wet and put away') fell on deaf ears.

:D

Glauca is smokable, found this at seedman.com:

"TREE TOBACCO: Glauca.

A graceful tree that grows to 20 ft. with bright trumpet-shaped yellow flowers and striking glaucous-blue foliage. From Argentina. It makes a wonderful tub plant. Can be grown outdoors in warm climates and makes a striking garden specimen. It is highly valued for its chewing, smoking and medicinal uses. It is said to have only trace nicotine. Hardy to 15 degrees. It will flower when very young."

mindmelt:

Sorry to jump in but I wanted to know if everything arrived O.K WATERDRAGON ????????????

everything is peachy in waterdragonland. many thanks.

why not just simply quit smoking.

pharma industry is only taking advantage of people's weakness...... to market and promote their products(nicotine patches etc). (not all products of course)

"Antismoking activity" most likely means it works the same way as nicotine does. So if you switch to anabasine you'll probably still have a cholinergic agonist addiction. And you'd still be smoking tar, CO etc...

"you've looked into calamus?"

Yeah, but never as a anti-smoking aid. But I tell ya- take some 150 proof vodka, add calamus and some other legal herbs, wait a week and you got some nasty but POTENT stuff. Glad I dont drink no more- those homemade brews couldnt have been good for me! If I'm gonna kill my liver it will be by occupational exposure to hepatotoxins damnit.