The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
husk

Dead sub?

found it today in a nice damp spot... only find that really looked like it could be a sub...? :unsure:

cap/gills

#1. post-2081-1172571828_thumb.jpg #2. post-2081-1172571894_thumb.jpg

stem

#3. post-2081-1172571967_thumb.jpg

slugs in stem... :puke:

#4. post-2081-1172572007_thumb.jpg

and... a few similar looking, anyone come across these/mistaken them/know them?

#5. post-2081-1172572077_thumb.jpg

#6. post-2081-1172572108_thumb.jpg

#7. post-2081-1172572144_thumb.jpg

the last one was amongst these;

#8. post-2081-1172572340_thumb.jpg

and you know... i had 2 shots of a medium sized group of very interesting looking ones but i accidentally deleted the shots! :o

i will return tomr and get some more though, i think they could be promising...

x peace

post-2081-1172571828_thumb.jpg

post-2081-1172571894_thumb.jpg

post-2081-1172571967_thumb.jpg

post-2081-1172572007_thumb.jpg

post-2081-1172572077_thumb.jpg

post-2081-1172572108_thumb.jpg

post-2081-1172572144_thumb.jpg

post-2081-1172572340_thumb.jpg

post-2081-1172571828_thumb.jpg

post-2081-1172571894_thumb.jpg

post-2081-1172571967_thumb.jpg

post-2081-1172572007_thumb.jpg

post-2081-1172572077_thumb.jpg

post-2081-1172572108_thumb.jpg

post-2081-1172572144_thumb.jpg

post-2081-1172572340_thumb.jpg

Did they blue upon bruising? This is usually a dead give away.

I think sub season is a little way off yet.

Still getting goldies around here foaf got a bag full 2day, very happy :)

None of them are subs unfortunately.

We're way out of season at the moment.

Your dead one is probably a little hard to ID in the shape it is. And if it was a sub I would expect the entire stem to be alot darker from bruising/bluing.

I'm not sure what the other ones are but the cap shape is wrong for subs.

Wait till May/June/July.

damn that number 7 looks very 'subby'.

number 8 is very cool. not sure of the genus but nice how they're all in a row :lol:

Edited by user1

Don't look too sub to me but are the same as those that pop up a lil before subs in my green patch...another couple weeks warm n wet on top of what you've had, and I'd be gettin em.

Not all subs bruise... mine that popped up under cucurbit vines in horse poo didn't bruise any but strong if subtle activity, distinctive concentric banding of cap, sporeprint colour etc.. I suspect more seratonin trypto etc than psilocin..very "clean" feeling. got some dried with spores intact if anyone wants a cap to water into their veggie patch, photos going too. Some here range to what I call coppertops... If you've seen em you know em, can supply pics...active as well but pretty vague, but then I found only older specimens...

greendreams

I'd be interested in some of those dried ones Greendreams !!

Will PM.

Are u talking about Psilocybe subaeruginosa greendreams or subbalteatus?

I think everyone else was talking about the former.

Edited by shruman

lol, I was hopin someone would pick me up on that before I got a chance to jump online...this occured to me around 10am this morning when I was wondering where ya gettin' bruising Pan's from.... far as I know, all Psilocybe subaeruginosa bruise to some extent.I can supply Shepherd & Totterall's description, keys etc to anyone that isn't sure....many pics of the Pan subs available too. I saw the pics, saw "sub" and thought you mob meant Panaeolus subalteatus. No meanies under my pumpkins but plenty of stripy horse shrooms , that look like finding nemo and open the mind with a gentle push rather than a crowbar.Sorry for any confusion. Aforementioned dried subs n spores are P.subalteatus, which I have never seen bruise but the mycelium can have an almost electric blue tint.

Thanks for that shruman! Bangs head on desk with MANY apologies! Common names be cursed things.All those that were chasin' samples, outta luck with the Psilo subs but can help out with Pan subs if anyone is interested, they're a friendly little critter and very gentle on those that still intend to go to work the following week :)

stay chilled all!

greendreams.

No worries greendreamz

Discussions are always a lot easier when were all on the same page :wink: .

Yeah 7 looks very subby, as does 8. MORG is right tho, we aren't exactly in season yet?

green, do you have photos of this Pan subbalteatus and the prints? Very interesting!

Edited by apothecary

yep plenty o pics and should have pics of the print too but bein mostly on alfoil they dont show up so well at some angles... not sure if i have any spores emselves left, we moved a few months ago and I'm still finding things I forgot I owned n missing things I'm sure I do own haha. meanwhile check out mushroomjohn.com , he has a great article that helped a lot. they're not so strong as some would like, but given I frequent horse shit rich areas (stables near here sell a trailer load for 20 bucks, the pile itself tends to throw heaps of em sometimes) they were an easy pick... if it prints black n looks like nemo, and dries down to blueish brown thing that looks like a sack o dead spiders once ya bag it, you're on the right track.Tends to be gregarious , and happily fruited up for ages under my pumpkins with a lil extra watering...til the mildew did the vines in and the grass took over. Dosage is on the high side, nearly double what I usually would do (I don't tend to weigh things but whereas a smallish palmful of trops does me fine, these take a bit more to be having nearly as much fun... but then used mainly to the C. tropicalis or C.cyanescens (anyone in SEQ knows the little buggers, shattering things, that cow strip between mitchie n enoggera, or out at Ravensbourne near Crows Nest)... but being more of a clear headed up and focused thing than a "my gooooooooooooooooooood I had no idea I was that worried about that much stuff" thing, I don't think dosage is as critical either. A mate said they helped his migraines a lot too. I'll whack up some pics later on here or email em if ya like.They're less druggy than they are ....hmm...like a laxative for the subconscious? Plenty of energy, a lil initial nausea but not eating meat, the chitin tends to sit in my guts for a lil while too.

keep pickin n printin

greendreams

Ah, the problem with common names.

Since Panaeolus subbalteatus and Psilocybe subaeruginosa both occur in Australia I think it would be best (as a matter of best practice and in order to avoid confusion) if the term "subs" would be used to refer to P. subbalteatus and the term "copper tops" be used to refer to P. subaeruginosa. Also to be taken into account is the fact that overseas the term "subs" has been taken to refer to P. subbalteatus for many years.

Good luck turning the australian mushie community round on that one mycot, Im sure it will stay the same at least in parts of the country were they are blessed to b found, They are really pretty dif shrooms & most people versed in shrooms should know wot ur talkin bout without the name, but if ur still havin troubles y not use the latin names? there so petty. just my 2c

i have to agree 7 looks like a sub, but only the ones ive seen in melb, the very very few ive seen round sydney have always been dryer and probably near dead. at EGA last year on the mushroom tour i think one rule of thumb given was if it has brown gills its edible without toxic effect, tho i wouldnt test that as i didnt buy his book. cannot remember his name right now...

Edited by Amulte

P. subbalteatus is quite new to the Australian mushroom community but should it become popular the problem with common names escalate and becomes more pressing. I've also noticed confusion as regards common names when P.subaeruginosa is discussed on international forums. Some people even refer to P.subaeruginosa as "gold tops" thereby adding a further layer of confusion with P.cubensis to the Mix.

I quite like latin names names myself but some peoples eyes just seem to glaze over when its used. :wacko::(:lol: