The Corroboree
apothecary

Getting out?

For those of us still tied to the city for reasons beyond our direct control (money usually), and for those of who got out to somewhere you can see the stars at night and there's no powerlines when you look up...

How did it happen? Is it even possible?

I think about this everyday.. *ponders*

Hi Apothecary :)

I'm roughly an hour from Sydney, can see the stars, fairly well, and other strange lights :blink: , no powerlines [we don't have mains power], we live reasonably cheap for being this close to the big smoke, though I must say there are a few major drawbacks, which I wont go into here, amazing wildeness type bushland at the back door, very easy to get lost in! Lots of wildlife.

Though saying all this a move to the north coast is on the cards in the next few years [we will be selling :wink: ], favourable growing climate ect; I am still tied to the big city at the moment due to my music career [maybe] gaining some momentum, but thats never that reliable :rolleyes: anyways if it sounds interesting, or you just want hear a bit more about it, drop me a pm

BTW it happened because it is cheaper than most places in or around the Sydney district and it's a lovely place.

Edited by tonic

Hi Apothecary :)

I'm roughly an hour from Sydney, can see the stars, fairly well, and other strange lights :blink: , no powerlines [we don't have mains power], we live reasonably cheap for being this close to the big smoke, though I must say there are a few major drawbacks, which I wont go into here, amazing wildeness type bushland at the back door, very easy to get lost in! Lots of wildlife.

Though saying all this a move to the north coast is on the cards in the next few years [we will be selling :wink: ], favourable growing climate ect; I am still tied to the big city at the moment due to my music career [maybe] gaining some momentum, but thats never that reliable :rolleyes: anyways if it sounds interesting, or you just want hear a bit more about it, drop me a pm

BTW it happened because it is cheaper than most places in or around the Sydney district and it's a lovely place.

i bet your internet is really slow though :)

i bet your internet is really slow though :)

I have broadband :wink: 12 Gig worth :)

I have broadband :wink: 12 Gig worth :)

cool, that is one of the reasons why I am weary about moving to the country(i love the net)... but if you have no mains power, yet fast net... there may be

hope for me yet...

Edited by shroomytoonos

cool, that is one of the reasons why I am weary about moving to the country(i love the net)... but if you have no mains power, yet fast net... there may be

hope for me yet...

I would't really say i was in the country exactly, I think you can check on certain [un-named] companies' websites as to where you can actually receive broadband, not sure if I could handle not having it myself either now that I have it, but for me the idea of moving further north to a more isolated area was to possibly cast off alot of these things, although I want to have an online nursery so it would be imperative for me to have a good internet connection. I really like the idea of leading a more frugal existance, grow my own fruit and veggies and cacti ect; for my gnome and just in general,I love my cacti. Not to mention my love/hate affair with technology :lol: I use my computer/net to promote my music not to mention create it, and rely on the big city to get gigs and all. I'm torn between the two worlds.........as I know probably yourself and numerous others feel the same way. Would love to feel that freedom though.

I'm not necessarily promoting the casting off of all modern yolks and living a purely subsistence living, but seriously, most major cities in Aus are fucked up beyond repair, are straight up bad for your health and a whole bunch of other things that are just plain wrong.

I agree with that to the utmost apothecary.

That said, I would say surround yourself with the most green trees you can find and inhale the fresh air while it still exists for human consumption.

Simple pleasures mean more in these times, if by chance they are our last. :)

Apoth : I've just been living out where you can see the stars in NW Qld for the past three months... however I was working at a mine, so probably not the kinda thing you had in mind?

-bumpy

I feel the same way :(

Altho only being 22 with no real job prospects any time soon, i always sit back n dream about moving away from the city (melbourne) to a nice country place where there not so many utterly stupid people, and facist police that will shoot on sight (exaggerated) but someware where its peaceful,hopefully respectful and can act like oneself without others always "looking" down on me coz of the way i may look or act.

Edited by Jesus On Peyote

I did it twice. First time as a result of too much acid, and the second time because I realised the first time wasn't a mistake after all :rolleyes:

My first tiem was impulsive and I left behind everything that was my city life. It worked for a while, but the subsistence lifestyle gets pretty depressing at times. I should have made sure that the things I really like about the city are stilla ccessible to me, while focussing strongly on the things I needed which drew me to the country.

For example, I can't stand narrow minded people, so moving to the back of Taree was a big mistake. My second move was to th Byron Bay / Mullumbimby / Nimbin area because it is cosmopolitan and alternative. There are similar places in other states, but for us it was also a temperature issue [you can grow so many more plants in frost free areas :P ].

I love certain bits of technology. Music listening is still important, but in the early 90's it was music making that was essential to my mental health. I ignored that fact and running a computer on minimal solar set up was not ideal and took many months to actually accomplish. So, when I did the move again I made sure we were near an ADSL exchange or at least that wireless broadband would be available soon, cos the internet had become more important to me than making music.

Water was the other big issue. I had learnt that any farming and gardening is futile unless you have good independent water supply. I had also learnt how frustrating poor fences can be and that people get shot at over right of way disputes. So, the second move and the subsequent property choice were with all these experiences in mind and the transition could not have been better.

I also continued to have strong ties in the city for a long time, so I never felt I was stuck in the country. There is nothing more powerful than the knowledge that you have options and that a bad decision can be revised. So, while a sudden move and change of lifestyle might work for some, it really did not work for a city boy like me. However, with minor adjustments such a move can be entirely successful.

And as advice for those considering the move..... do it. Cost is not an issue cos living is so much cheaper in the country. Ideally, if you can draw a city wage while already living in the bush [even for just a few months] you will move ahead financially by years. And always make sure not to burn all your bridges.

Easy Apoth, you invest in a a dual-title/subdividable property with me ;) hehehe.....

I can't stand narrow minded people, so moving to the back of Taree was a big mistake

So true

I feel the same way :(

Altho only being 22 with no real job prospects any time soon, i always sit back n dream about moving away from the city (melbourne) to a nice country place where there not so many utterly stupid people, and facist police that will shoot on sight (exaggerated) but someware where its peaceful,hopefully respectful and can act like oneself without others always "looking" down on me coz of the way i may look or act.

honestly, the city is actually a better place for that