The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Plant Nutrient Deficiency Symptoms

Someone (you know who you are) suggested I share my plant nutrient deficiency symptom file, so I threw in a few missing bits and here it is:

Plant Nutrient Deficiency Symptoms

Macronutrients:

Nitrogen- Slow growth, stunted plants, yellow-green color, scorching of older leaf tips and margins

Phosphorus- Slow growth, stunted plants, Dark green color with tip burn, purplish coloration starting on older parts, delayed maturity

Potassium- Tip and margin burn starting in older leaves, weak stalks, small fruit, slow growth

Mid-range nutrients:

Calcium- Death of terminal buds and root tips, dark green foliage, premature blossom/bud drop, weak stems, wonky fruit

Magnesium- Yellowing in leaves, curling of leaves upward along margins, marginal yellowing with green midrib

Sulfur- Young leaves light green to yellow, small and spindly plants, slower growth rate (bland onions and garlic)

Micronutrients:

Boron- Death of terminal growth, but not lateral buds; thick, curled, wilted yellowing leaves; reduced flowering or improper polination; soft or necrotic parts in fruit or tubers

Chlorine- Wilting followed by yellowing, excessive branching of lateral roots, bronzing of leaves (deficiency very rare)

Cobalt- Plant stress from weather or chemicals. Limited nodule forming bacteria in legumes. Premature fruit drop of crop (Legumes are most prone to deficiency)

Copper- Stunted growth, poor coloration, wilting of leaf tips, terminal shoot dieback in trees

Iron- Interveinal yellowing in leaves (sharp distinction between yellow and green), twig dieback in trees

Manganese- Interveinal yellowing in leaves (no sharp distinction between yellow and green); white, gray, or brown spots or streaks

Molybdenum- Stunting and lack of vigor as with nitrogen deficiency, marginal scorching and cupping/rolling of leaves (Legumes are most prone to deficiency)

Zinc- decreased internode length and fruit bud formation, interveinal yellowing in leaves

One of the most interesting things I've encountered on my travails round the web is that nutrient deficiencies can sometimes have the same symptoms as nutrient toxicity. The difference? Nutrient deficiency shows up on younger leaves, while toxicity shows up on older leaves. That's just a rule of thumb, mind :)

Yeah. And too much of one nutrient can cause an apparent deficiency of another often simply by clogging up the biochemical pathway like with calcium and magnesium. Sometimes chile heads feed their peppers so much magnesium that they cant get calcium and the pods rot because of it.

Also, I have seen indications that what would normally be considered way too much molybdenum can really help some plants (wont go into details, didnt do it very scientific) so there are exceptions to every rule when it comes to plants.

And remember, every species has different nutritional requirements.

So- Research, Research, Research.

Darklight:

The difference? Nutrient deficiency shows up on younger leaves, while toxicity shows up on older leaves. That's just a rule of thumb, mind   :)

I think you can safely say that that is a rule of thumb best not adhered to

Whether the deficiency or toxicity symptoms effects the oldest or youngest leaves has to do with the movement of the particular nutrient through the plant.

Im sure I have no idea about the mechanics but something to do with whether a certain element is "translocated" via the phloem or via the xylem or via combination of both...

I wish I remembered this stuff lol but terms like Mass Flow and stuff pop into my head fleetingly.

I'm sure someone can correct me or fill in the gaps.