The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
TheFriendlyPlanter

Merry Australia Day!!!

Only eight more sleeps I can't wait. We're roping off our street for the most drunken cricket match/BBQ ever. Free Beer, loud music, Aussie flags on the fence! I'm Farken Proud to be an Aussie, FARKEN I SAY!!! So get yer thongs on and your flags ready and help make Australia day bigger and merrier than bloody Christmas! FARKEN!!!

Only eight more sleeps I can't wait. We're roping off our street for the most drunken cricket match/BBQ ever. Free Beer, loud music, Aussie flags on the fence! I'm Farken Proud to be an Aussie, FARKEN I SAY!!! So get yer thongs on and your flags ready and help make Australia day bigger and merrier than bloody Christmas! FARKEN!!!

I'll have Aussie flags waving from my Commodore's windows, like last year :D

Good to show some good ole Aussie patriotism :P

Up the mighty bogan I say!!! I'm sure there'll be smoke from many a bbq, the sewers overflowing from all the beer consumed and plenty of cricket/footy for all! :lol:

I think I'm going to have to change Aussie day to Aussie Week - a solid week of binge drinking and barbies! Be proud to fly the flag everywhere! I always kept one on the parcel shelf of my HQ Kingswood with a little sign on the window 'Love it or Leave it'. Oh the good old days :P

Haha - not that I agree with the Riots in any way, it does seem to have brought out the Aussie patrionism quite a bit - every second person with a tat has the southern cross or some sort of aussie icon branded on them since it all happened. At the summernats almost everyone (including myself) was wearing an identical t-shirt with the Aussie flag and 'Support it or F@#k Off' on it. Though it was good that there was no trouble there to do with bitterness about the riots, even though talk was quite common in the weeks leading up to it...

I think its time for all the bullshit to end between our many sub-cultures - we are all the one country and we all deserve the same rights. If only people could just put their differences aside and simply get over it or go elsewhere...

Thats cool dude - as long as you respect others you will be treated with respect :) It doesnt matter what your background is (joking or not), we are all on the same page and everyone is equal in my books. The only people I dislike are people that blatantly disrespect others when there is absolutely no need for it. This is something that needs to be taught worldwide as far as I'm concerned. Racism is not something that I condone and never will, and this should become a trait held in high esteem throughout the whole human race.

Anyway, enough of that crap. Be proud to be an Aussie (or whatever you might be) and be grateful that we have got it so good!

I cringe whenever I see Americans or Australians waving their flag, I realise we are a very lucky country and people (well some of us) but at the same time to me it seems that flag waving is communicating support towards the government whether that's the intention or not.

Yes we are very very lucky, but i'm not proud of Australia, especially white folk! (yes i'm white, with some sort of semi-removed english background), it's past or the direction it is heading!

Fuck the pathetic government off, sort out all the mess we have caused and continue to cause, that includes the heavily fragmented aboriginal populations; and implement proper environmental management, until the basics are actually acknowledged and acted on for the long term natural benefit, biological health on all levels etc. then maybe i'll raise a cocktail onion australian flag...maybe lol Australia Day PFFFT... PFFFT I SAY! :rolleyes: I am ashamed and embarrassed to be a white person living in Australia, our history is appalling and yet we continue to ignore changes in relation to situations that shouldn't have even come about in the first place. /rant lol

Plant legalities anyone?!?!?

hehe have a good one all :)

im a lebo

Is that a lesbo with a speech defect? :P

All in good fun :lol: . I was once told the only way to not be prejudiced was to hate everyone... personally I'm a loony so I'm everyone's bastard :lol: ... quickest way to clear a space at the bar is to start talking about your last round of shock treatment :wink: ...

aussie aussie aussie, io io io!

I agree with gerbil I cringe whenever I see people draping the flag over their shoulders or sticking flags everywhere. To me the current Australian flag symbolizes British colonisation and in the last few years a symbol of racism and ignorance.

Don't get me wrong i'm proud to be Australian, i'd much rather be Australian than most other nationalities but i'm not proud of our history or our government and have no respect for either. What I do have respect for is the millions of people (of all colours, religions and cultures) who have immigrated here over the past 200 years to create a better life for themselves and have forged a culture of mostly laid backed, friendly and welcoming people.

Support it or F@#k Off'

I am glad I live in a country where I don't have to make a decision like that because if I had to I would choose neither.

Btw, this is the only flag i'd ever be proud to fly.

eureka_flag.jpg

Each to his own - and I certainly agree with you on most of those points. The reason I'm proud to fly the flag is because we are doing better than most. Granted, our government needs a hell of a lot of work before its the way we want it and our white background has a lot of nastiness to it. I dont wave the flag in respect for our government or our background but for what we can and should be. Whatever your opinion on this matter, I hope everyone puts their differences aside and enjoys this day as much as any other :)

Couldnt help but add this - Patriotism at its most basic? LOL

post-2347-1169176649_thumb.jpg

Excuse the cynicism if it rains on any parades, but I think the general public has the wrong idea about patriotism. It isn't about flag waving and unwavering support of your country's ideals as espoused in government policy.

'Better than most' isn't good enough. There are so many areas in which we lag behind other countries. We have one of the worst freedom of presses in the OECD and are mostly only in front of autocracies and dictatorships. I guess my idea of patriotism is working toward progressive thought and seeking progressive change.

I won't be drinking to ignorance.

I'll take the day off though.

And I will be drinking.

Just not to ignorance.

Most likely to the JJJ Hottest 100. I'll probably watch the cricket too.

Excuse the cynicism if it rains on any parades, but I think the general public has the wrong idea about patriotism. It isn't about flag waving and unwavering support of your country's ideals as espoused in government policy.

'Better than most' isn't good enough. There are so many areas in which we lag behind other countries. We have one of the worst freedom of presses in the OECD and are mostly only in front of autocracies and dictatorships. I guess my idea of patriotism is working toward progressive thought and seeking progressive change.

I won't be drinking to ignorance.

I'll take the day off though.

And I will be drinking.

Just not to ignorance.

Most likely to the JJJ Hottest 100. I'll probably watch the cricket too.

I'm with you Kenny

im very proud of australia in many ways.

i have mates that all have many different backgrounds yet none of us really care much about it and get along as equals.

i have friends that have a lot of money and friends that have very little but it doesnt really matter and you can have a beer with any of them.

while we have smidgens of a class system its no where near as bad as places like india or even england.

you may hear some peoples grandparents complaining about asians etc but meanwhile my generation have asian friends etc. compare this to countries where they go through the chinese district torching all the shops etc.

you can have that dickhead sheik talking shit about us that would get a catholic equivalent killed in iran etc yet we just laugh at him.

im proud to be an australian.

im not much into flag waving etc and realise that there are dickheads that like australia for reasons i dont agree with but gotta be proud of who you are and where you are coming from to determine where you and your country is heading.

I agree with gerbil I cringe whenever I see people draping the flag over their shoulders or sticking flags everywhere. To me the current Australian flag symbolizes British colonisation and in the last few years a symbol of racism and ignorance.

Don't get me wrong i'm proud to be Australian, i'd much rather be Australian than most other nationalities but i'm not proud of our history or our government and have no respect for either. What I do have respect for is the millions of people (of all colours, religions and cultures) who have immigrated here over the past 200 years to create a better life for themselves and have forged a culture of mostly laid backed, friendly and welcoming people.

I am glad I live in a country where I don't have to make a decision like that because if I had to I would choose neither.

Btw, this is the only flag i'd ever be proud to fly.

eureka_flag.jpg

why, are you from ballarat? ha

Being from a mixed European background I have had no rabid allegiance to any country or nation.

I think nationalism is second only to religion as a divider of people and therefore a trap for humanity.

if i have to raise a flag its going to be green and gold with a kangaroo on board. both represent aspects of this land prior to our settlemnet (green and gold for the wattle (the dimitri's a bonus :wink: ) and the roo's been here longer than most.

its easy to forget the foundation of our quality of lifestyle is rested on the oppression of the countries indiginous culture, as gerbil detailed.

can we handle ourselves as a republic nation? i would love to dump the monarchy in bowl of vomitted bial if i had the chance (bloody dimitri again :puke: )

all healthy discussion

happy invasion day! :wink:

Aussie day is a chance to right our wrongs, at least in spirit or should I say VIBE!

The more people get behind the whole Australia day VIBE, the sooner we will see an end to governmental bullshit and the like.

I'll have my flag out for sure, right next to my EVIL HOWARD banner. It's a chance to celebrate all the good things we share. Everyone in Oz should join in the fun regardless of their origins or whatever. Peace and love must prevail over hate and suspicion etc.

If we wanna be like NO WORRIES all the time we need to be living it and showing it.

Anyone know any good Aussie day party tricks?

Edited by mountaingoat

Gerbil's and Sobriquet's sentiments are similar to my own.

I don't like patriotism/nationalism. It's just another artificial barrier between people. It's just another feeder of wars and hatred. It's a statement of being proud of one's borders and maintaining the us-and-them mentality.

It's a bit of a Utopian-hippy-wank but we're all Earth's people and breaking down barriers dividing us is the way to realise this. Nationalism exists only with barriers.

I'm not proud to be a white-Australian male. I feel lucky, sure, but not proud. I shouldn't be proud to be born in a place where life is so easy, just thankful.

What I am proud of is living in this beautiful land. On Australia Day I like to forget political boundaries and social divisions and get outside into the bush or onto the beach. I am so proud and lucky and thankful to be able to enjoy the nature of this piece of the Earth because Australia is a very special place.