The Corroboree
XipeTotec

fertilising khat?

although khat grows in poor soils naturally, I can only assume it does need nutrients added in the form of ferts. Would a fish emulsion be ok at this time of year for the young plant(taken as a sucker approx 2 weeks ago) any advice would be appreciated, regards, Shroomytoonos

in summer they will pretty appreciate whatever you throw at them. ease off in autumn though and none in winter.

in summer they will pretty appreciate whatever you throw at them. ease off in autumn though and none in winter.

thanks torsten

From experience I can only say that you should be a little careful of giving Khat ferts if its under any form of stress (and that applies to most plants I guess). Never fertilise it when the soil is dry or when the weather is hot.

Try to allow the soil to be dry for the top 3-5 cm before watering it in the morning and then fertilise it late in the afternoon on the same day while the soil is still moist.

You can kill a Khat very quickly by watering with fertiliser if its very dry and hot.

Your meterage may vary.

From experience I can only say that you should be a little careful of giving Khat ferts if its under any form of stress (and that applies to most plants I guess). Never fertilise it when the soil is dry or when the weather is hot.

Try to allow the soil to be dry for the top 3-5 cm before watering it in the morning and then fertilise it late in the afternoon on the same day while the soil is still moist.

You can kill a Khat very quickly by watering with fertiliser if its very dry and hot.

Your meterage may vary.

thanks, will certainly keep that advice in mind

I gotta say my broad leaf takes whatever is thrown at it no matter what conditions or season, I'm in Syd and the buggers grow right through winter with fert. However my narrow leaf is the exact opposite except for spring-summer.

I gotta say my broad leaf takes whatever is thrown at it no matter what conditions or season, I'm in Syd and the buggers grow right through winter with fert. However my narrow leaf is the exact opposite except for spring-summer.

Just picked up a narrow leaf the other day darkhorse, do they seem to grow well in Sydney?

Cheers

for me its the other way round :blink:

Just picked up a narrow leaf the other day darkhorse, do they seem to grow well in Sydney?

yip, she'll be fine

for me its the other way round :blink:

yip, she'll be fine

Sweet as :D

well, i just gave it a decent feed of fish emulsion, so we will se how it goes, also, I have heard that picking leave encourages good, bushy growth, how is this done, regards

well, i just gave it a decent feed of fish emulsion, so we will se how it goes, also, I have heard that picking leave encourages good, bushy growth, how is this done, regards

I would've thought it would more be along the lines of "plucking" instead of "picking", where you pluck new areas of growth to make the plant grow a larger amout of new stems

I would've thought it would more be along the lines of "plucking" instead of "picking", where you pluck new areas of growth to make the plant grow a larger amout of new stems

yeah, thats what I would have thought,hopefully someone experienced in growing khat will inform us further

In summer and spring khat goes wild in Sydney, in winter my broad leaf still grows well but my narrow leaf almost dies.

In summer and spring khat goes wild in Sydney, in winter my broad leaf still grows well but my narrow leaf almost dies.

Is it in a pot? If so, have you tried sheltering it from the frosty winds in a greenhouse or protected area? I'm sure it would help a little against the cold damage.

I'm hoping mine will establish well enough for the oncoming winter...!

I do, but usually too late, might try a small green room set up.

Guest RedHead
:) Edited by RedHead

Not an expert at growing khat, but i've read that if you pick the (terminial leaf)- don't quote me, meaning the new growth at the top,

preferably using a scapel, this can be done with some other plants too, to create more bushy plant.

Also my plant seems to be growing a fair bit, i've used half vermiculite with good potting mix, and some clay beads for the bottom of the plant, copied someones grow guide. the plant seems to be liking this very much.

it's very easy, the new, young shoots are the best. that means after taking a tip, or say some prunning, more new shoots will form and this is good, however if you overdo it the the plant will suffer, and can even die.

obviously some sort of stress responce is at work here.

the new shoots emerging after drought, are very strong...

the narrowleaved, doesn't like too wet feet, specialy over winter time (sydney gets at times lots of winter rain), so either plant her out (at a free draining location) or place the pot in a place wher it's protected from too much rain.

although catha is very drought resistant, plants kept in pots are sensitive to underwatering aswell.

plants which seem to struggle, often don't get cared for in a proper mannor, in short, they are kept too dry, for periodes, and than far to wet for a propably shorter periode.

and we know, a damaged root system hates to be overwatered... :wink:

Edited by planthelper

Thanks for sharing your expierance, perfect timing for that info.

Does anyone know if the white strain prefers anything in particular.

peace

So there are two strains of Khat?

Board-leaf and Narrow-leaf?

How do they differ in effects?