The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Coschi

Cigarettes.. am i the only one?

So say i have a cigarette right before bed (yeah not cool i know), better yet say its the first one for a few hours and i go to bed right after, eyes shut no light any figure i try to imagine, be it a person or a tree or a mushroom :D or a table or absolutely anything, its shape is totally out of wacK? but not really shape, say a person will have the right amount of arms legs and head but all sizes are either totally massive like a baloon, or really minute like a peanut..

yeah a little strange, was playing with this last night.. am i the only one??

Seriously i'm not that strange, just something i noticed

OMFG!!!!!!

I get this all the time!

Do the figures morph for you too? like the head growing as the body shrinks or the earth shrinking down til the ground they were standing on is like a tennisball.

I always smoke ciggies before bed I never even thought of there being a connection!!!!

Do you find too that these weird visions don't seem to sync into dreams as readily as normal sorts of thoughts. I guess thats probably the increased heart rate and other nicotine effects at work, hey.

Well who needs illegal drugs when you can see morphing patterns with a tobacco ciggie? :P

Cant say I share this effect, probably due to the fact that I dont smoke them... But every now and then as you mind wanders as you drift off to sleep, similar things happen anyway - have you noticed this effect without nicotine?

Morphing for sure, but pretty soon objects are unrecognisable, like a person's arm could turn into a blimp and the rest of the body is too significant to count, also there's a real lack of color, like the images are made from smoke - probably just a mental link with the smoke of the cigarette.. hmm could wack an amount of nicotine and experiment :blink:

Lono, sometime don't smoke before bed, if you can :wink: like give it an hour at least and i bet it doesn't happen. I find the effect wares off after about half an hour or so so it never gets a chance to get into my dreams

Give it a shot sometime ace you'll be surprised, then again nicotine is a tropane alkaloid i think? we all know the datura stories..

Actually there are several species of Duboisia spp, d.hopwoodii (pituri) contains nicotine and i've read it also contains scopolamine (or was it hyoscamine?), and others check out this and this

be interesting to see how the effects of these compare :)

edit: Double post

Edited by Sphinx

started on patches a few weeks ago, absolutely marvelous i reckon, but thats another story...

anyway, was surprised to read on the info leaflet that "patches should be worn during sleep unless vivid/disturbing dreams occur, in which case they should be taken off before bed" or something to that effect.

so i tried to leave it on to see what happens, but there was no way i could get to sleep with it on (i feel quite wired when i'm wearing them), so i took it off. my g/f also recently started the patches too, and left it on the first night, but was freaked out by her dreams (dominated by death, doom n gloom etc, very unusual subjects for her dreams...) that she now refuses to leave the patches on at night.

neither of us would usually smoke in the hour or so before bed, so we haven't noticed this effect previously. however, on discussing this with others, it seems that the 'weird dream/cigarette before bed' connection is shared by many smokers. bizarre...

Hmmm, I think I might have to test this out as a non-smoker... could prove interesting - seems like this odd effect is more common than one would think.

And I wasnt aware that nicotine was a tropane - i thought it'd be far from it, otherwise everyone would be on their own planet after a ciggie... that could be a little dangerous for people smoking while driving :( lol Can anyone elaborate on this comment?

I don't tend to get the bad vivid dreams too often but I know what you mean. When I do get 'em its always the same theme recurring for the whole night and they seem to stop me falling into a deep sleep. Ironically in the past this has led me to get up and smoke a ciggarette to try and "reset" my thoughts.

I knew ciggies exacerbated insommnia but I never would have thought they did that through stimulating the subconscious mind

Looks like its time to switch to herbal rollies.

If I'm gonna get cancer I owe it to myself to contract it from the more interesting tropanoids :devil:

Edited by Lono

Yes yes i'm totally mistaken it seems :rolleyes: nicotine is rather a part of 'nicotine alkaloids' (is this another lie?) seems so as there are many mentions of 'nicotine and tropane alkaloids'.. perhaps someone who knows should answer this

Interesting, from wiki:

In addition, nicotine increases dopamine levels in the reward circuits of the brain. Studies have shown that smoking tobacco inhibits monoamine oxidase (MAO)

when i first started smoking, i used to do it in the shower just before showering. My god! when I turned the water on I remember thousands of voices nattering all at once in my head. They used to have a slightly remonstrative tone to them. I used to think I was going crazy!

Now I know that the nicotine was allowing me to connect through time to every other time in the future I would smoke. So I will be able to tell when I eventually quit because I won't get remnants of voices anymore. LOL-just joshing...in reality the "nicotine voices" only lasted about a year or so.

when i first started smoking, i used to do it in the shower just before showering.
---& people say it's a dirty habit :P

I get those morphing patterns and people changing into somthing totally different every time I have a smoke before bed too.

Thought I was the only one lol.

Have a good one! cheers.

Could just simply be a case of increased adrenaline prolonging the phase between awake and drifting-off so your still semi-consciouss?

And yeah nicotine is a mild MAOI which I assume is why a lot of depressed and anxious people smoke(plus the dopamine).It's also a very prevalent habit with sufferer's of shizophrenia.

The first time I used patches was when they first came out and I put my first one on at night *DUH* but MAAAN never had so many vivid sexual dreams in my life!!

Someone I knew had something similar on pot(it really was someone I knew), he lay down in be, and saw a procession of faces, morphing from one to another(like the Michael jackson filmclip, HA) he referred to them as the ancients.I Never had that from ciggies, but when giving up on the patches(which I wore while sleeping, I had some full on dreams. Just out of interest, amongst other themes, a few of these dreams, which were often the type, which, say you think you have woken up and are doing stuff around your house etc, contained fire. Say in the form of, I think I have woken up, and I am cruising around doing something, and say, the window sill will be burning, or something else will be burning, has anyone else had similar dreams while using patches. I will also try to start a topic somewhere else asking the same question.

Edited by shroomytoonos

I used to get this phenomena but seeing as I've been smoking just before bed for years for this reason I now don't get this if I have a ciggie just before laying down my head or its probably more befitting to say I don't notice it anymore