The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
KlUe

Grafted T.Pachanoi and Lophophora Williamsii

Hi All,

About 3 weeks ago I attempted my first cacti graft (I guess I could've done some less expensive specimens.. but anyway), using a nice T.Pachanoi and a smallish healthy button of San Pedro (Loph.W). In the first two weeks it looked all fine and well, and the peyote cactus has stuck on to the pachanoi. My only worry is the bottom of the peyote is starting to brown a bit and the whole thing has become quite soft to touch. It is still attached quite securely though. It also still seems quite green up the top, but not as green as my other one growing on its own. Should I be worried it is not going to work due to the browing on the bottom part of the graft and its softness, or is this a pretty common thing to occur in the early stages of the graft?

Cheers in advance.

Peace,

KlUe

Sounds like fairly normal behaviour so far. The browning may be permanent, though it will eventually plump up enough not to be noticable. Try not to poke and prod it too much over the next month or two, as this may cause tissue damage - just keep it looked after - not too wet, not too dry - and it should put out some fairly rapid growth over the next few months. After the wound has calloused and the tissues have fused nicely, just treat it like a regular pachanoi - water maybe once a week/a couple times a fortnight and keep it slightly shaded for the first couple months so as to not scorch the loph. If it turns pink/red you've got too much light. Otherwise, it should be fine.

I'm planning on performing my first proper graft soon, though may leave it another season to plump the scion up a little more before my fumbling causes too much damage :P

Sounds like fairly normal behaviour so far. The browning may be permanent, though it will eventually plump up enough not to be noticable. Try not to poke and prod it too much over the next month or two, as this may cause tissue damage - just keep it looked after - not too wet, not too dry - and it should put out some fairly rapid growth over the next few months. After the wound has calloused and the tissues have fused nicely, just treat it like a regular pachanoi - water maybe once a week/a couple times a fortnight and keep it slightly shaded for the first couple months so as to not scorch the loph. If it turns pink/red you've got too much light. Otherwise, it should be fine.

I'm planning on performing my first proper graft soon, though may leave it another season to plump the scion up a little more before my fumbling causes too much damage :P

Hah, awesome, thanks again for the reply. I've only been touching it a couple of times, as i read when they get pretty soft it can have some problems... But I guess i'll leave it alone and as they say neglect is the best thing for them!!

Well i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll work out!

Peace

hey man why did u create a new topic and not just post it in the same topic I created beforehand in the thread below about Rot regarding exactly the same species? Lol.

Edited by SaBReT00tH

hey man why did u create a new topic and not just post it in the same topic I created beforehand in the thread below about Rot regarding exactly the same species? Lol.

Hey mate, i created it because I dont even know if its rotting - its just a bit browish and wrinkled on the bottom part.

KlUe

Photos would help a lot.

If it's still well attached, I'd say it's fine.

You should be keeping it out of too much/any direct sunlight until the graft is 100% taken.

Photos would help a lot.

If it's still well attached, I'd say it's fine.

You should be keeping it out of too much/any direct sunlight until the graft is 100% taken.

Thanks apothecary, i've not been able to take any good photos because its kinda hard to see the browning areas at the graft area, its still pretty stable on top, so i'll just keep it in some shade and see how it goes.

KlUe

Sounds like regular growth - most grafts tend to brown a little around the join. Keep monitoring and keep us updated :)

Hi guys,

Good news, the cacti has definitely grafted on to the Pachanoi.

I do have one question though, in one of the side parts that has shrivelled slightly, I can see a root coming down from the Peyote.. Is this normal? Not sure if I should just leave it or what. Obviously its not going to root into the pachanoi because its already closed up.

Suggestions?

I've never seen this in a cacti graft, though I'm sure it would be fairly common. Sounds like an ariel root, which, providing that the pachanoi is providing enough nutes, water, etc, it will probably wither and die over the next few weeks/months when it realises that its not needed. Congrats on the successful graft KlUe!

really need pics!! if its been 3 weeks and it hasnt started to grow and plump up i think it might have problems. maybe the two rings arent touching. (whats the word?) if ther are not lined up correctly it can sit there for years and not grow. (did one for a laugh six months ago)

That'd be the vascular rings located in the centre of every cacti - visible when a cut is made for such a graft. As long as these are joined (even only a little) the scion should plump up pretty fast, though the more connection the better. But I'm sure KlUe did his homework before sacrificing such a cactus :)

That'd be the vascular rings located in the centre of every cacti - visible when a cut is made for such a graft. As long as these are joined (even only a little) the scion should plump up pretty fast, though the more connection the better. But I'm sure KlUe did his homework before sacrificing such a cactus :)

I did my homework but unfortunately it was a spare of the moment thing and the knife I used didn't cut as straight as i'd have liked it, so it probably explains the hard time the loph has had trying to connect with the pachanoi.

The vascular rings were definitely lined up though.

The nice green colour is starting to return to the loph now, especially on the top, but it has had the purplish colour mostly around the side area that people say it gets when it gets too much light... even though it only gets about 1/4 day full sun... is that normal?

Hasn't plumped up really....

I gave it some weak ferts for the first time (mix of seasol and maxicrop) so we'll see what happens within the next week.

KlUe

KlUe - get up right now, and move it somewhere well out of any direct sun!! It shouldnt have that for at least another week or two I would think. At most, maybe a little dappeled sunlight at most. Just a nice bright position but shaded for at least 95% of the day, otherwise she'll cook before she takes properly.

I'd say that'd explain the purple colouring... The weak ferts should be good, and the dodgy cutting cant be avoided at times (probably why I havent hacked my loph yet), so just watch out for large amounts of light as this can nuke the loph before it can cope with it. Over the course of a couple more weeks (maybe about a month) you can return him/her to part-day full sunlight, but even then, it might do better in the dappeled shade anyway.

And while you are up, take a happy snap to share with the rest of us! :P

KlUe - get up right now, and move it somewhere well out of any direct sun!! It shouldnt have that for at least another week or two I would think. At most, maybe a little dappeled sunlight at most. Just a nice bright position but shaded for at least 95% of the day, otherwise she'll cook before she takes properly.

I'd say that'd explain the purple colouring... The weak ferts should be good, and the dodgy cutting cant be avoided at times (probably why I havent hacked my loph yet), so just watch out for large amounts of light as this can nuke the loph before it can cope with it. Over the course of a couple more weeks (maybe about a month) you can return him/her to part-day full sunlight, but even then, it might do better in the dappeled shade anyway.

And while you are up, take a happy snap to share with the rest of us! :P

I'm at work, but i'll msg my bro to move it into some shade.

I'll take some pics this afternoon :)

Haha - good stuff :) Didnt mean to be so forward about it, but I dont want to see your little graft snuff it any more than you lol :P

And I think we'd all like to see how its coming along :wub: