The Corroboree
naja naja

these are just too fuckin cool!

Check these out, http://www.wickedlasers.com/index.php I can't belive these things really exist in such a tiny unit, let alone available to the public. Gona have to get me the 75mw, me thinks. Just a fuckin waste of money though, but how do u resist sumthing sooooo fucking kewl. Wish I had 4.5k US to blow on the spyderII trio :drool: :drool: :drool:

Gona try hacking one together out of a dvd burner in RED at ~200nm also may aswell make one out of the invisible IR laser too. lol

Edited by naja naja

i lived in the states for a number of years and once we worked on building a Yoga Centre in upstate NY (Catskills). One of the guys on the construction crew had at one point been a research scientist at Harvard and did a number of pioneering experiments turning aluminium into sapphires with lasers so i was told (it was suppose to be true).

Edited by thunderbird

Just purchaced a 95mw for $330 AUD

Hope she makes it through customs :rolleyes:

Please let us know cos I am keen to get one too.

in the US they used to always send out huge glossy mail order catalogs and one that had a lot of high tech gizmos in it was by a company called the sharper image.

http://www.sharperimage.com/

they had some great cool high tech toys.

Edited by thunderbird

the used to have a shop in south yarra in melbourne. I used to call it the 'shiny objects shop' and I kinda had a shiny objects addiction. Used to spend silly amounts of money in there :blush:

Well, if u order from wicked they will give u a full refund plus $100 USD just for trying if customs pick them up. I however ordered from these crew http://www.dragonlasers.com/laser_pointers They sell the older CNI model for alot cheaper (sale on now) Wicked sell their newer model or the older CNI model intermitently at the same price, so at the risk of getting a old CNI model for a larger price tag, I took the cheaper and safer option of dragon lasers. The newer wicked models don't burn very well unless u focus the beam with a magnifying glass, but the have better divergence, so u get a smaller dot at a greater distance. I piked one for the burning power, but if u want a pointer, then the newer models sound better, however all the vids and pics of the older models are good enough for me.

OMFG lol alot easier and more destructive than i was taught

I also suspect that these may be shipped from within Australia when ordered from Australia as the company in an Australia-Chineese joint venture.

I've been wanting a green laser pointer for at least 3 years now!

There are a few other sites that sell them.

When I saw a green laser pointer on Mythbusters my dream for one was over. They're too common amongst gadget freaks now.

Now I want one of the yellow laser pointers which are rarer :)

The ultimate is blue and they are available but even at higher energies they are nowhere near as visible as the green or yellow.

Blues only available up to 40mw, barely visable in dark room.

These however are just a tad different to ur average $30 Ebay greenie. :wink:

Yellow looks like some of the odd red laser pointers do. Blue would be the ultimate, but too expensive for such small mw. The 125mw red pulsars are cool, but too expensive since u can make a stronger one from a $50 DVD burner + $10 worth of electrics.

I really gotta order sum safety eyewear now. There goes another $100, maybe I'll wait to see if this arrives first.

Edited by naja naja

The Radiation Safety Act requires all class 3B and class 4 lasers and their premises of operation be registered with the Radiological Council.

Class 3A is below 5mW and is not subject to the legislation. I believe most keyring laser pointers are 3A.

It is up to the seller to make sure the equipment is labeled properly and the onus is on the buyer to become licensed and inform the Council, I believe that customs won't even bother looking at the package.

You guys are talking about some extremely powerful lasers which are dangerous with extreme potential for blinding someone.

Having pointed that out, I want one too as they are way cool. I like the idea of bursting baloons at a distance with a laser pointer.

The Radiation Safety Act requires all class 3B and class 4 lasers and their premises of operation be registered with the Radiological Council.

Class 3A is below 5mW and is not subject to the legislation. I believe most keyring laser pointers are 3A.

It is up to the seller to make sure the equipment is labeled properly and the onus is on the buyer to become licensed and inform the Council, I believe that customs won't even bother looking at the package.

You guys are talking about some extremely powerful lasers which are dangerous with extreme potential for blinding someone.

Having pointed that out, I want one too as they are way cool. I like the idea of bursting baloons at a distance with a laser pointer.

I think you're quite right about the blinding capability of the higher energy lasers.

I found this website: http://bjo.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/84/2/135

about laser treatment for eyes.

It says:

A double frequency YAG laser was used: wavelength 532 nm, spot size 200 µm, exposure time 0.1 ms, and energy level 100-500 mW; the number of applications ranged from 20 to 1000. Laser treatment was performed by the second researcher 30-135 minutes after administration of the analgesic agent.

Presumably the laser energy used there could blind and it lists 100-500 mW energy used. The wavelength of 532 nm indicates it is probably a green laser.

But what is staggering is the exposure time of 0.1 millisecond - being enough to cause a burn in the eye.

I guess the 200 micrometer spot size is important too in that it would be very "energy dense" to have so much energy packed into such a small spot. With these laser pointers my guess is the spot size is quite a bit bigger than that.

Nevertheless its certainly in the right frequency range and energy level to potentially cause significant eye damage. I mean 0.1 ms isn't very long!

But there chunky mo'fo's. Also more expensive in the mw range I purchaced.

OOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo yeah

It's here baby and it pops ballons like it was a pin! Better order me sum safety eyewear now, u can tell just looking at the reflected beam on any surface is damaging.

Play nice now Naja - I dont wanna hear that you've taken over the world on the news tonight :P

OOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo yeah

It's here baby and it pops ballons like it was a pin! Better order me sum safety eyewear now, u can tell just looking at the reflected beam on any surface is damaging.

yeah, but can it can a mans head off? or pierce a hole through his skull... then I will be impressed, especially since, I can pop a balloon with a pin

I mean, come on guys, who needs a "laser" when youve got a pin??!?! If its big enough I'm sure you could bust a dudes head open lol

I can pop a balloon with a pin

From 20 ft away? :P

Ahh the fun you could have with that thing :)

Those obnoxious shopping centre sales with all those balloons, and the car sales yards, and those mortgage sellers at shopping malls who have the advertising balloons.

thought you might find this site interesting, we use to buy heaps of fun stuff from here during my R&D days

http://www.amazing1.com/

they have an extension kit you might like

http://www.amazing1.com/laser_pointers.htm

post-1277-1168935985_thumb.jpg

Awesome site.

Th electro magnetic pulse device is mighty tempting. I Just dream of driving around with one mounted in my car and frying speed cameras and radars.. :wave-finger:

th_05675_DSC03965_122_187lo.JPGth_05671_DSC03962_122_11lo.JPG

A few pics of my new toy.

th_06164_DSC03961_122_113lo.JPG

Edited by naja naja