The Corroboree
Coschi

Sad Sally

bump

How's Sally coming along? Any signs of improvement Sphinx?

bump

How's Sally coming along? Any signs of improvement Sphinx?

Just got to bunnings today, took my shopping list (sorbiquet's post) and is all sitting in my boot waiting for the weekend :) $100 but hey she's worth it

She's looking alright, picked off most of the larger less healthy leaves so maybe that's why she's looking so nice, but a little worrying because quite a few of the smaller ones are not lookin too good either, will give her a new home asap, maybe even tomorrow, hope it all goes well!

...i was going to ask something... ...

Oh yeah, i've been using a ginger spray to try and repel the whiteflies for the moment on a friends recommendation, have you heard this works at all?

Crikey a 100 big ones for your foafs plant - now arent you a great mate :P

With a bit of luck she will come back. Havent heard of ginger spray, though I believe a simple garlic spray (maybe available at bunnings) is a pretty good environmentally friendly insect repellant. Could be worth a shot if the ginger isnt all that you were hoping.

Ok i didnt want to start a new thread, so ill just add on here.

I was reading a case study on a salvia and i got really confused...

This salvia in the case study was planted in soil, i know it should have been with perlite as well for aeration, but it wasnt, and it was still doing fine.

The temp has been a constant between 18-26 the last 5 days or so...and the weather was drizzle (very light), one morning it looked fine, in the arvo it was fully weeped, like it was about to die literally...

there was no sun either. it was over cast !

What the hell happened !

Have is actually been watered at all Synaesthesia?

Salvia will wilt in the space of 2 hours, on a warm day, if it needs water. Water the pot and spray the leaves for some foliar absorption. It should spring back within a few hours, and look almost back to normal by the next day.

thanks benzito.

Hmm well it was light drizzle.. obviously wasnt enough.

They certaintly are touchy.. im glad im not growing one.

They're not really that touchy.

I've seen them grown in some very cool, dry climates. You've just gotta gradually introduce them to their new living conditions over a few weeks, and they'll take just about anything you can throw at them.

Just tell your mate to water it everyday, and if it was in a high humidity environment before he got it, then mist it everyday aswell. Start reducing the misting to every second day, then twice a week, once a week, etc.

Just watch for the wilt, and give it heaps of water!

Whoever said Sally don't like wet feet probably hasn't grown Sally. :wink:

Alright.. time for an update, She's doing alright i think..

In that first photo you can see the rightmost branch is the least healthy part of the plant, its still got a pretty bad whitefly problem but at least they're not attacking the rest of the plant, and some catepillar keeps getting to the leaves!

The second photo shows some healthy new growth, as you can tell the plants color has turned to quite a lush green, and this new section and others like it are looking really healthy :)

The third photo is a closeup of the right branch, you can also see some kind of leaf damage seen as dead leaf spots, i don't know why this is happening :( possibly insects though.. have got that natrasoap sorbiquet need to reapply, they didn't really seem to care the first time though.. but i will persist

Fouth photo shows some strange leaf growth, this happened with a week or two of repotting and feeding seasol and powerfeed, as well as applying the sulphur and chelated iron, doesn't seem to be happening more just some leaves growing around this time were affected, kind of strange though..

Fifth photo shows more detail into that dead leaf spot thing seen in the third photo

What do you think so far people?

She's growing pretty rapidly, leaves get pretty large pretty quick, but i don't notice much branch development.. anyway just want to get her healthy first.

post-1530-1168658136_thumb.jpg post-1530-1168658191_thumb.jpg post-1530-1168658239_thumb.jpg

post-1530-1168658271_thumb.jpg post-1530-1168658310_thumb.jpg

post-1530-1168658136_thumb.jpg

post-1530-1168658191_thumb.jpg

post-1530-1168658239_thumb.jpg

post-1530-1168658271_thumb.jpg

post-1530-1168658310_thumb.jpg

post-1530-1168658136_thumb.jpg

post-1530-1168658191_thumb.jpg

post-1530-1168658239_thumb.jpg

post-1530-1168658271_thumb.jpg

post-1530-1168658310_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sphinx

Nice work Sphinx!

Looks great and yeah give it some time and I'm sure she'll continue to do well.

Nice work Sphinx!

Looks great and yeah give it some time and I'm sure she'll continue to do well.

Thanks mate

What do you suggest to do about that dodgy branch though? just keep with the natrasoap or something else?

Thats just a bloody tease! Such a nice looking plant :P I have a feeling that the dodgier brances will just grow out of the odd phase. I'd say keep up the soap washes and keep the ferts regular, but not to excess. Whatever your mates watering regime is - tell him/her to STICK WITH IT! She's looking fantastic compared to the original picks! I think the new branches will come with time - it looks like there is a massive amount of new growth happening on each node, if the top of each branch is cut (possible to make some new plants via cuttings), then they will almost certainly bush right out (if they are anything like a regular plant :P).

I'm gonna have to move somewhere outside of Oz just so i can have a shot at cultivating this moody/temperamental little beauty!

Thanks for the update Sphinx and some great pickies :):worship::worship::worship:

hey all

ive found that using all organic nutes and ferts have

pretty much covered all my bases at least

for last season :100_1116.jpg

BTW im in the states, so thats september of last year

my area is 90% relative humidity all the summer

butr even so sally can be acclimatized to almost any environment

just give time and care and please try not to spray her leaves

unless absosmurfly necessary best soil is rich organic

that will drain well no wet feet but must stay moist most

of the time until she is used toyour climate

front is where clones are taken

back is where leaves are taken

front unpinched

back highly pinched but be careful she will break under her own weight...

Hi Catfish and a big welcome - nice avitar and BEAUTIFUL sally plant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:worship: :drool: :worship: :drool: :worship: :drool: :worship: :drool: :worship: :drool: :worship: :drool: :worship: :drool:

Hi Catfish and a big welcome - nice avitar and BEAUTIFUL sally plant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:worship: :drool: :worship: :drool: :worship: :drool: :worship: :drool: :worship: :drool: :worship: :drool: :worship: :drool:

I second to that!

Hello and welcome to the forum catfish...

back highly pinched but be careful she will break under her own weight...

She will most likely require some staking with age, if you want her nice and tell.

Hello and welcome to the forum catfish...

She will most likely require some staking with age, if you want her nice and tell.

Just out of interest, I've read they naturally spread by actually snapping and rooting from the break, is this at all encouraged to happen when growing in pots to keep it "under control"?

Just out of interest, I've read they naturally spread by actually snapping and rooting from the break, is this at all encouraged to happen when growing in pots to keep it "under control"?

I'd say that when in a pot, you would prefer it to bush out rather than get leggy and snap. By taking regular cuttings/pruning, you tend to get a bushier plant and many more leaves - the target for this species. It simply acts that way in the wild, where it naturally grows tall/long and leggy, but in a garden, I think its generally preferred to have a few smaller (compact) bushes, both as a space saver, and as a better foliage producer. :)

I'd say that when in a pot, you would prefer it to bush out rather than get leggy and snap. By taking regular cuttings/pruning, you tend to get a bushier plant and many more leaves - the target for this species. It simply acts that way in the wild, where it naturally grows tall/long and leggy, but in a garden, I think its generally preferred to have a few smaller (compact) bushes, both as a space saver, and as a better foliage producer. :)

True that :)

thx guys!

remember here that september is the near end of the season...

it all depends on what you want to do

i believe in the "x plant will produce y actives in z environment"

meaning that your plant be it cannabis or salvia or whatever=x

will produce a given amount of your desired chemicals=y

and the distribution of said chemicals=z

if one grows a huge plant with huge leaves one will be left with

a lesser concentration of salvinorin

than say a buncha small leaves on a compact plant

all things being equal that is...quality v. quantity

she will eventually break her branches off regardless

staking them will only prolong the inevitable

but since sally is not scheduled in my state

i prefer to let her grow as she will pruning aside

since my goal is cuttings for procreation

ill try to find my bucket o salvia pics

Very well put catfish - and PLEASE put up some more pickies!!! We cannot expirience these things here, but we can enjoy a nice photo or two :worship::worship:

I hope you get many plants created from that one - looks like you know your stuff too :P

Very well put catfish - and PLEASE put up some more pickies!!! We cannot expirience these things here, but we can enjoy a nice photo or two :worship::worship:

I hope you get many plants created from that one - looks like you know your stuff too :P

Yes, would like to see some more pics :D:D

BTW Ace, ur PM inbox is full, can't send u a reply :P

Wow i look away for one day and this happen!

Effin' nice plant Catfish :wink:

bucket-o-sally:

100_1149.jpg

take cuttings plenty long and place in transparent plastic jar

spray down heavily and make sure to have 2cm of water in bottom

place inside a white plastic bag folding over top of open bag over

put under 300W cfl's/ 20'C or in yer mates greenhouse

check sunup & sundown to air out cuttings and change water

results to follow...

mods: extraneous post please delete

Edited by catfish