The Corroboree
jactus

Does old and scarred growth of active Trichocereus sp have a significantly higher alkaloid content than fresh growth?

Hi to everyone who is reading, i'm James aka jactus

I am very excited and privalliged to have the oppurtunity to become part of your place of knowledge and learning. I have a lot to learn and not so much to give,but i will see if i can generate some topics that may be of interest and productive. So i urge anybody with any information to add some feedback to this topic.

I have heard from different sources that the woody,old and scarred growth of psychoactive Trichocereus sp is much higher in mescaline and other psychoactive alkaloids than fresh growth ,comparing equal surface area of each..

The next step i assume in answering this question would then be, does the scarred epidermal tissue contain more active alkaloids than the fresh green epidermal tissue?

Another interesting question is, does the previous seasons growth contain more active alkaloids per equal surface area than the equal surface area of new growth. And so on.

I can supply some T.peruvianus 'macrogonus' to somebody who would like to perform this analysis.

Oh yeah, if somebody can enlighten me to whether 'macrogonus' is infact a variety of T.peruvianus that would be great. Maybe that could be another topic as i have found that there is a divided opinion on whether it is or not.

Thanks all.

=====================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

hmmm those lines really tripped me out....

anyways... carry on...... ha

oh

yus in most cases old and stressed cacti have higher alkaloid concentrations

sounds like an interesting experiment

Edited by Merkaba

hmmm those lines really tripped me out....

anyways... carry on...... ha

oh

yus in most cases old and stressed cacti have higher alkaloid concentrations

sounds like an interesting experiment

Yeah those lines will be the bain of my existence. My keyboard has a mind of its own.

i have always thought that old growth had a higher alkaloid content but i want to know for sure and why.

I hope someone in this forum can step up to the challenge of this experiment, 'Mythbusters' style. I will supply the cactus material required. If you know anyone who could, please urge them too. If nobody really knows,its time to get our facts right.

later dude

Yeah those lines will be the bain of my existence. My keyboard has a mind of its own.

i have always thought that old growth had a higher alkaloid content but i want to know for sure and why.

I hope someone in this forum can step up to the challenge of this experiment, 'Mythbusters' style. I will supply the cactus material required. If you know anyone who could, please urge them too. If nobody really knows,its time to get our facts right.

later dude

i am sure someone here will rise to the challenge there is a thread here detailing alkaloid content of various trichs

:)

A lot of opinion I have read indicates that the age of growth is the main determining factor in the alkaloid content. The thread by teonanacatl Here takes the age of the growth being tested, rather than the plant as a whole, as the important variable.

In another thread here someone suggested that scarred cacti grows slower and so scarring might have a bearing on alkaloid content (ie: higher concentration per surface area) because of this decrease in growth rate. Whether the trauma that was inflicted to cause the scarring itself increases alkaloid content seems to be a matter of opinion. Some threads have suggested that scarring will trigger an increase in mescaline content as a defense mechanism to deter animals from eating more of the plant etc. I haven't come across any figures about this, only hear-say.

As Hebrew said, I'm sure someone will be able and willing to perform these tests to shed some light on these questions, it would certainly be interesting to see.

As for the nomenclature question, I don't know much about this and I'll let someone else open that can of worms :lol:

A lot of opinion I have read indicates that the age of growth is the main determining factor in the alkaloid content. The thread by teonanacatl Here takes the age of the growth being tested, rather than the plant as a whole, as the important variable.

In another thread here someone suggested that scarred cacti grows slower and so scarring might have a bearing on alkaloid content (ie: higher concentration per surface area) because of this decrease in growth rate. Whether the trauma that was inflicted to cause the scarring itself increases alkaloid content seems to be a matter of opinion. Some threads have suggested that scarring will trigger an increase in mescaline content as a defense mechanism to deter animals from eating more of the plant etc. I haven't come across any figures about this, only hear-say.

As Hebrew said, I'm sure someone will be able and willing to perform these tests to shed some light on these questions, it would certainly be interesting to see.

As for the nomenclature question, I don't know much about this and I'll let someone else open that can of worms :lol:

Thanks for the thread psychonaut, i want some Yowie Fat!

On the question of Trichocereus 'macrogonus', i'm just going to class it as a T.peruvianus variant(which it obviously is!) until somebody proves it otherwise reclassified. :)

I am very excited and privalliged to have the oppurtunity to become part of your place of knowledge and learning. I have a lot to learn and not so much to give,but i will see if i can generate some topics that may be of interest and productive. So i urge anybody with any information to add some feedback to this topic.

Geez, no need for formalities dude.

I'm writing this in my underwear with vegemite smeared up the side of my face. :lol:

Edited by Lono

Geez, no need for formalities dude.

I'm writing this in my underwear with vegemite smeared up the side of my face. :lol:

I'm going to have to shake you hand for that comment Lono :lol: Bahahahaha!!!!!

I'm going to have to shake you hand for that comment Lono :lol: Bahahahaha!!!!!

:wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger:

No need to point it out,i suck. i know :)

:wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger::wave-finger:

No need to point it out,i suck. i know :)

Hey Jactus - wasnt having a crack at your expense - just having a chuckle about lono's lack of clothing and vegemite smear :P

Hey Jactus - wasnt having a crack at your expense - just having a chuckle about lono's lack of clothing and vegemite smear :P

Your ok ace, i thought lono's comment was pretty on the ball,and funny. No hard feelings all round i hope. :)

no hard feelings Jactus :wink: I would like to put my hand up as a 85kg lab rat for your experiment :lol:

LOL, are ya sure that its vegemite Lono.

As for the nomenclature question, I don't know much about this and I'll let someone else open that can of worms - cough

im with ya there cough, im not even gonna try. MS Smith is the man to ask i believe.

Thougt i would revive this old thread to see if i can find an answer to the question i posed in another thread that has been shut down

Did any lab rats bioassay jactus's cacti if so what were the results