The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sobriquet

Blow pipes for powderised ethnobotanicals.

While playing with a glass pipe commonly used to smoke tobacco and other herbs - the ones with the glass bulbs and longish tubes I noticed that if one loads the bulb with powderised ethnos and blows into the bulbous end then a powerful jet of powder is delivered very rapidly through the pipe end.

This could be used in a blow pipe fashion into someone else's nose, like used for yopo or cebil by Amazonian practitioners. Of course you could also be getting blown some tuberculosis germs, hepatitis virus, or any other number of things. I think the idea is to use a long tube therefore having lots of deadspace volume in the tube and using a short sharp blow to expel the tubes contents at high speed thus coating the nasal lining in a thin and even way.

The limitation with sniffing things yourself is that the powder will tend to flow and deposit onto less surface area.

Any experience reports of blow pipe type administration?

Are the effects quicker or stronger? What was used to administer?

snorting will generally only deposit powder along the way the air flows from the nose into the lungs. The negative pressure caused by inhaling will draw air OUT of the sinsues and tear canals. Blowing powder into the nose will put even pressure in all airspaces such as sinuses and tear canals, resulting in lower pressure in these spaces and hence they will take in powder laden air to equalise.

Blowing into someones nose will dramatically increase the surface area that the powder will come in contact with and hence the amount of drug that can be absorbed at once. It also means you will [in the case of crude plant powders] have insoluble solids in places that really should not have them.

I have intimacy issues that prohibit me from allowing others to blow botanical preparations up my nose.

I have yet to find a shrink that will help me deal with these issues.

:lol:

But anyway, I have had success insufflating substances that are tradionally administered via the "shotgun" method. Yopo treated with hydrated lime, dried, pulverized and snorted with reckless abandon through a wide tube provided threshold (not breakthrough) effects.

Pisgah:

Maybe you could rig up some sort of balloon and tube apparatus so you can blow your own wind up your nose? :lol:

It also means you will [in the case of crude plant powders] have insoluble solids in places that really should not have them.

That thought really makes me shudder.

That thought really makes me shudder.

It will also make your eyes water, your sinuses burn, your snot go various funky colours, and you may find plant matter in your boogers for several days later :wacko:

Torsten you forgot to mention that the plant matter is often a little bit rehydrated :P

I'll try and find a russian snuff competition rammer vid on youtube. Those crazy bastards have all weird contraptions for trying to get as much snuff up ur nose in a short time. The winner fit 7g or sumthin up there. :puke:

Those crazy bastards have all weird contraptions for trying to get as much snuff up ur nose in a short time. The winner fit 7g or sumthin up there. :puke:

Now thats commitment to your hobbies!! :P