The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Qhorakuna tantani

Is this a lactuca spp?

Question

Is this a useful species of Lactuca? It has a milky latex when cut.

post-747-1164864493_thumb.jpgpost-747-1164864595_thumb.jpgpost-747-1164864729_thumb.jpg

This is a different plant which looks very similar, but slightly greyer and spikier. Could be the same just the different position causing the changes in appearance.

post-747-1164864833_thumb.jpg

post-747-1164864493_thumb.jpg

post-747-1164864595_thumb.jpg

post-747-1164864729_thumb.jpg

post-747-1164864493_thumb.jpg

post-747-1164864595_thumb.jpg

post-747-1164864729_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

sowthistle methinks.

Still could be useful like St. Mary's??

Got a beautiful one outside just flowering atm.

Weeds are under rated for their beauty sometimes.

Nice close up of the flower BTW,how many mega pixels?

Thanks, its a 6MP pentax digicam. Not an SLR. I love using me mums 8MP SLR, get some really good shots, but it isn't macro and this little digicam seem to do close ups ok. Paint is so good at reducing the picture size significantly without an apparent reduction in quality. They were all about 2.1 MB before paint.

I just pulled up about 30 of those plants from a neighbous backyard and their drying atm.. They look very much like a diagram I saw of Lactusa Viriosa :P.... Hmmmm maybe its not heres some pics from erowid

http://www.erowid.org/plants/show_image.ph...uca_virosa1.jpg

http://www.erowid.org/plants/show_image.ph...uca_virosa2.jpg

Edited by tepa

no hyoscyamine. that reference is dodgy.

sowthistle methinks.

I also think this is sow thistle (ofthen mistakenly called 'Milk Thistle' because of it's latex)

By the way, I don't get it with those Erowid pics, the leaves look nothing like what I believe to be Lactuca Virosa (which if Im not mistaken, have 'arrowhead' shaped leaves a little bit similar to the pics that started this thread - but the plant has a spiney trunk)

Will post pics of some local wild crops when I get down there again soon for comparison.

Edited by Green Osiris

I also think this is sow thistle (ofthen mistakenly called 'Milk Thistle' because of it's latex)

By the way, I don't get it with those Erowid pics, the leaves look nothing like what I believe to be Lactuca Virosa (which if Im not mistaken, have 'arrowhead' shaped leaves a little bit similar to the pics that started this thread - but the plant has a spiney trunk)

Will post pics of some local wild crops when I get down there again soon for comparison.

yep a sow-thistle, they lack the prickly hairs on the stem and under the leaves that the lactucas usually have

green osiris youre probably thinking of L. serriola..

green osiris youre probably thinking of L. serriola..

You might be right, judging by a google image search on serriola va virosa. However I have seen 'some' pics of (so called) virosa leaves that look like the wild crops near me. Pics up soon for ID, I promise.

And with any luck, if I get a coffee grinder, lots of dried powdered plant material to share with SAB folk in a month or so. I have no problems overharvesting this area near me, as they are a noxious non-native :)

Will also be seed-saving, so I can grow in an unpolluted condition next season.

For the punters who have ripped up sowthistle, top marks for your weed eradicatioon, but I dunno about ingestion of this invasive little fucker.

we keep a few of them around the vege patch because the aphids love them. This provides famine food for our assassin bugs. They don't *like* them, but they will eat them to survive it seems.

Got meself a 4meg Kodak job for 88 bucks today.

I know it's an entry level job for digital, but I'm surprised at the simplicity,features and quality for a plastic camera with PictBridge and SD/MMC slot and comes with 16M internal.

I was brought up with Pentax 35mm SLR's by my dad,who worked in the ABC on doco's and used to do home processing,so yeah I know the difference ;-)...but still a good buy for anyone looking for a cheap unit to start with.

I'll take a pic of the thistle tomorrow and post it here...I love the purple bundles of petals on these....might even utilise my scanner in another thread and show some "real" photo's done the old way ;-)

I love the purple bundles of petals on these....

Purple, eh ? The must be psychoactive then :lol: