The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SaBReT00tH

Is Lophophora Caespitosa active??

Is Lophophora Caespitosa active?? I thought that it wasn't, however searching through google I find (http://www.entheogen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8707) [several people saying it IS active]. What do you guys think? (Does it contain mesc? If not, what other alkaloids does it contain and what is the potency/effects?)

Trouts notes claims it to be (from memory). Not sure about the 'grey' clone [shrug]

Obviously there is discussion (controversy) regarding if L. williamsii var caespotosa is strictly that different from

straight L. williamsii. But then there is loads of controversy about the whole species naming system for Lophophora.

Not to mention Trichocereus (Echinopsis) :wink:

I can't exactly say if it is "active," but there are certainly differing reports on its concentrations of mescaline. Trout data collection reports that it is equivalent to standard L. williamsii, but there appears to be different clones of ceaspitose plants available. I think one of the clones is a likely cultivar that might be an intergeneric hybrid (this is the really plump green succulent form that has the small visible spines), but there certainly are ceaspitos mutations in natural populations that would likely maintain mescaline concentrations akin to standard L. williamsii. I suspect the former accounts for some the reports of low mescaline concentrations and the latter accounts for the reports of normal concentrations.

Personally I have no first-hand information regarding the ingestion or extraction of mescaline from L. williamsii v. ceaspitosa forms and hardly ever hear of people actually ingesting L. williamsii period. It looks as most can't get themselves to sacrifice such beautiful plants. It's not hard to understand why.

~Michael~

post-19-1163731573_thumb.jpg

Hello.

There are some site that sells LW"caespitosa" seeds from the only place shere it has found this one. It is called "La Perdida"(The Lost) Tamulipas.

does Someone knows this strain??. I have one grafted :lol:

looks like the caespitose one in oz, i guess they will be the same.

Yes it looks like the one I have.

Has anyone actually bio-assayed one to be sure?

Or is the inactivity anecdotal?

I was considering growing more of these by depupping the one I have but I may just leave it alone to grow into an ornamental if it's true that it's not active.

My aim is to increase the biomass of active Lophophoras so that it might be possible one day to partake of it without feeling loss.

Id say it will contain some alkaloids but conc would just below, if that is the case. I dont think this makes it inactive though. Trichs are great because vs lophs they produce sinificantly more biomass then lophs do, so trichs win out in which is more economical, same can be applied to caespitosa. Caespitose plants grow significantly faster (IME) then other lophs do, so whilst they may be low in alkaloids you still might produce the same amount in a given time as anormal loph, make sense. Id grow lots of them, a hybrid might result in a fast growing pupping plant with high alkaloid conc.

Was reading the kaktusy lophophora special and they mention the la perdida plants in relation to pupping when only 3-4 months old out of every areole and compare it to caespitosa variety. They separate the Lophophora williamsii tribe into two forms:

- Northern forms (Centred around Saltillo): - Autogamous (usually)

- Large stigma (relative to southern form)

- Shorter style (relative to the southern form)

- Broad rounded petals with prominent midstripe

- Style is short and white

- Stigma is pink tinted

- Stamens are white reaching beyone the stigma

-Anthers are yellow to orange

- Southern forms (Centred around Huizache): - Heterogamous (always)

- Small stigma (relative to northern form)

- Longer style (relative to the northern form)

- Sometimes lacking the flower midstripe

- Stigma is white

Naturally northern and souther correspond to geographical location, interestingly the La perdida lophs are about the middle and the guys couldnt unanomously decide where they fitted.

Autogamous means characterised by autogamy which means self fertilisation. Heterogamous on the other hand meaning to partake in hetergamy which has a number of definitions each one valid: Taken from wikipedia.

Heterogamy is the alternation of differently organized generations, applied to the alternation between parthenogenetic and a sexual generation.

• Heterogamy is a synomym of anisogamy, the condition of having differently sized male and female gametes.
  • A plant is heterogamous when stamens and pistil are not regularly present in each flower or floret.

I suspect they mean self-sterile though. Any thoughts?

wow that grey one really is grey. nothing like mine luckily :)