The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Mitragyna bioassays

Mitragyna bioassay

I performed my first bioassay on leaves last week. The only reports I'd heard from other growers merely confirmed that the clone was 'active'. No further details were given. While I'd done a certain amount of reading on the topic, and have prior experience bioassaying biological unknowns, subconsciously I guess I wan't expecting anything more exciting than say a cup of strong coffee. Or for sure i would have heard about it earlier, right? So:

2.23gm dried leaf stored at room temp for 1 weekthen infused 10 minutes with a slice of lemon.

2.15pm Started drinking tea on an almost empty stomach ( excpet for bit of fruit I had 20 min ago ) Bitter as hell, taste could prolly be improved by a spice: cinammon, cardomon or allspice might help, don't think honey would

2.20 Noticeable mild euphoria ( which I wasn't expecting ) creeps in. I check for signs of placebo effect but my face keeps smiling sorta without me. Bit of a 'third eye' buzz. Still 1/3 of the cup to drink, but its easier to handle the bitterness once you like the effect

2.24 Finished drinking tea. Still euphoric. Hanging for a cigarette but every time I go to grab the packet I decide I don't want one after all. The best way to describe the overall effect of the tea is 'uplifting'.

2.45 Went a bit drowsy for a minute and considered taking a nap, but circumstances intervene. Mild euphoria persists. Still can't seem to manage to smoke a cigarette, and I'd kinda like one

4.45 Euphoris persists, pineal buzz persists. Some difficulty co-ordinating using the keyboard: more typographical errors than usual, short term memory seems slightly impaired. Tried to smoke a cigarette and bloody lost interest in it about 1/4 of the way through. Managed to eat some more fruit as I was hungry

5.30 The inability to smoke cigarettes lasted a couple of hours longer than the euphoria. Euphoria wore off about this time, but I couldn't manage to have a cigarette for about 90 mnutes after this

From previous written descriptions of effects I was expecting a dopaminergic :-) And I'm hanging for a smoke but I can't seem to finish one, and its not even making me grumpy.

As I'd only used 50% of the biomass I was given, I was thinking about smoking the rest tomorrow, but decided instead to give my sister a cup of the tea to get her interpretation of the experience at the same dose level. While she confirmed and repeated my own experience with the material, and is a reliable bioassayer, some of this repitition could possibly be attributed to me descrbing the effects I was experiencing to her before she consumed the tea

Aside from the singular feeling of appropriateness from having consumed product from formerly endangered plants that I'd helped to proliferate, and the pleasant surprise obtained from the effects, I can honestly say that kratom deserves further research for both its euphoric effects, and its anti-addictive properties which may well extend beyond those of opiate withdrawl. We'll keep working on this, and we'll keep you posted.

Guest reville

Report 2- from [email protected]

Following my prevoius low dose experiments with Mitragyna speciosa which consisted of just a couple of older mid-sized leaves, I was offered the opportunity to play guinea pig one sunny october afternoon with a 'high dose' Mitrgyna decoction.

My previous experiments have provided a short acting but definite buzz characterised by relaxation with mild euphoria. It is not sedative like a tranquiliser but rather a tension reliever.

My experiment consisted of the consumption of 10.9g of nearly dried leaf. This was cut into strips and placed in a teapot to steep. Several slices of lemon were added for flavour and presumably to assist in extraction by converting freebase alakloids to a citrate salt. The pot sat to steep for 20 minutes.

The first pot was in roughly 3 equal cupfuls, with a second lot of boiling water to rextract residual material when that was exhausted.

12:08 pm

First 1 and 1/2 cups consumed.Mildly btter taste.Bitter is usually promising.

The full pot means the material is diluted in fair amount of water.

12:24

20 minutes is roughly the same timeframe as prevoius experiments though in both cases some effects are felt from about 10 to 15 minutes. Slight loss of visual focus.Lie down on Couch.

12:28 pm

The start of definite effects that can be distinguished from any anticipatory excitement or suggestive effects. Feeling quite blissful and relaxed but simultaneously animated. Body relaxation, mental calm with no loss of clarity and no nausea. Interestingly this is relaxing to the nerves but without any analgesic effect, sore parts of body (knee) still sore.

12:32

Pulse 72 beats per minute, well within normal.

12:40

Effects unchanged, Pupils noted as slightly dilated.

12:45

I drink another 1/2 cup of Tea. Darker in colour now. This tea gives a really relaxed feeling but without feeling tired.When not doing anything feeling very comfortable and still but when something happens able to jump up and continue to perform activities well. Concentration wanders when not performing tasks. Given the compounds structural relation to Opiates, LSD and psilocybin i was hoping for a true hallucinogen with definite increase in cognitive performance, instead it is the opposite, it calms and quietens the mind - except when needed.

12:50

Distinct body stone to this. Decant remaining liquor into cups and pour water for second extraction. Starting to feel a crossover between animated and clear relaxed mood and that of mild intoxication - like one too many beers.

1:05

Drink another 1/2 a cup. Feeling drowsy but not tired still. Very relaxed and unmotivated., more specifically less likely that desire for an object, in this case a cigarette, will follow through with the motivation to actually begin the task voluntarily. In contrast a short phonecall was simply necessary and was no trouble to perform.

1:10

Drink last of first extraction.

1:15 Poured 1 of 3 new cups in the 2nd extraction. Take a small sip and then fairly suddenly overcome and slip into a twighlight dreamy stage, on the couch. I notice its a beautiful day and the sounds seem to travel further.Very pleasant, begin to fall into a light sleep. Deeply relaxing to the muscles and mind. Dreams shifting and full of people, objects and places - seems no particular reason, just flowing dreams.

2:05

Phone rings and wakes me from sleep. Feeling much more alert and not at all groggy. Tension in shoulders seems to have dissipated

2:09 Drink rest of tea

2:30 Back to normal.

I think we may have come across a substitute for the 'after work' beer or cannabis. A little to relax, and a little more to go to 'Nod off'. The best thing about this is that there is a mild euphoria that highlights a deep feeling of relaxation that is not dependent on being sedated.

I was a little disappointed about the lack of analgesic effect after similar experiments with Corydalis turtschaninovii (Tetrahydropalmatine and others) which gives a similar but slightly less pleasant feeling in equal doses along with relief of muscle or bone pain (sprains etc.)

I am primarily a substituted tryptamine user, and my only experiences with Opiates have been from Morphine once in Hospital,Corydalis tubers for joint pain, and codeine for headaches. I can easily say that this is the most pleasant of all of those.With the benefit of being non-addictive. I definitely felt a changeover that took away the energy and replaced it with a more langurous and dreamy tone.

There is no comedown at this level, and although i found it harder to get started again later in the day, i think this is due to relaxation not persistent effects.

Reville

hi,

sounds boring so i did not read...

i used (few times)high grade leaves (buds), smoked it

and felt relaxed, wanting to do hard work.

whilst feeling lazy in me brain...

just as it says coca and poppy at the

same time! don"t use old big fan leaves,

not even for tea.

a herb 4 cyclists!

a cure for H users?

yes!

smile.gif

this is all a bit interesting, might have some potential to be taken in combo with something a little more on the stimulating side. i'm a bit intersted in stimulants at the moment as there's not enough hours in the day lately.

....and rev how did you take that cory? i've managed to track down a few types lately but can't i.d which they are(there's heaps of cultivars)

I was just wondering whether anyone would sell or trade some Kratom Leaves...?

I was wondering the same thing.

hmmmmmmmmm wink.gif

Guest reville
Originally posted by waterdragon:

....and rev how did you take that cory? i've managed to track down a few types lately but can't i.d which they are(there's heaps of cultivars)

really! ive been asking all around and noone has seeds or will sell seeds of the interesting kinds even for quite decent offers of $.

Its the dried tubers i took, a 10g decoction, it colours the water and looks and tastes similar to turmeric in my opinion except that its more bitter smile.gif

The corydalis i wanted are the tuberous ones, there are something like 320 species in total and im not sure how many are tuberous.

I think the next place to look is japan as they seem to have quite a few in circulation as ornamentals

not attempting to hijack a mitra thread so i'll keep the cory part brief. i think i've unearthed about three types so far, after having the same sourcing issues that u bespake. i'll work out soon enough how tuberous these types are....and the ones i'm onto grow like weeds, unaided, every year.

Guest Ramon

For the people trying to source some leaves.

Might have more luck in a few months as the tree is just starting to grow back after it winter rest