The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest onemind

Lettuce Opium?

Guest onemind

Hi,

The more i read about plants, the more i am amazed. I just read something about getting a mild opium like drug from common lettuce. Anyone heard about this? Supposedly, you just juice a few lettuces with your juicer, leave the juice i the sun and smoke the goey tar thats left behind.

Is this for real?

Guest onemind

Thanks, I need to sign up in order to see it. Signing up now :)

Guest onemind

Nope, it seems the thread is missing.

Thanks anyway :)

Works fine here.

Click through "Other botanicals" forum into the thread called "You like messin with opium?".

You need to log in!

Edited by apothecary

Lettuce opium? Meh....

The concentrate of the inside of banana skins smoked with a high intensity butane torch is where you want to be.

Guest onemind

:)

Well, the banana hoax is what made me think the lettuce opium was a hoax but it is turning out to be legit :)

i've tried this myself twice by milking the head ov lettuce left to goto seed, & 2 different commercial "lettuce opium" resins. for me it didn't work at all, at least smoking the dried inside ov banana skins gave me a headache.

if you want an opium buzz, now is the time to be looking out for the pods...

And if you are in Perth they are everywhere ;)

A lady down the road must have 100+ right out the front all are 3-4 foot high and have a heap of pods :bong:

:)

Well, the banana hoax is what made me think the lettuce opium was a hoax but it is turning out to be legit :)

Oh it is legit, heck it used to be in the united states pharmacopedia as a prescribable medicine and its in several of my old books (Merck- 8th ed., The united states dispensatory- 1960 ed., text book of pharmacognacy- 5th ed. (1943)) ... the prepared drug being listed as Lactucarium. French Lactucarium refers to the product from Lactuca sativa var. capitata and the more frequently used German Lactucarium is from Lactuca virosa. The goodies are soluable in ethanol, methanol, and hot water and have been chemically identified and tested.

I havent used lactucarium in 12 years :lol: it worked back then, all be it mild, and that was a boiled down extract from mail ordered dried herb. I'm gonna plant some of torstens L. virosa seed in spring so I can relive some of the highs of my early teens :bong:

harvesting lettuce(normal run of the mill salad lettuce) last weekend i noticed that they all ooze a white latex when cut, very similar to poppy milk. I asked the owner about this and he said all lettuces contain a mild relaxant-akin to poppys!!! I have been hooking in to lettuce since for lunch and dinner and have noticed a remarkable reduction in anxiety. Is there any truth in this or can i just put it down to placebo effect.

Or do i have to deal with post lettuce withdrawals? :scratchhead:

harvesting lettuce(normal run of the mill salad lettuce) last weekend i noticed that they all ooze a white latex when cut, very similar to poppy milk. I asked the owner about this and he said all lettuces contain a mild relaxant-akin to poppys!!! I have been hooking in to lettuce since for lunch and dinner and have noticed a remarkable reduction in anxiety. Is there any truth in this or can i just put it down to placebo effect.

Or do i have to deal with post lettuce withdrawals? :scratchhead:

Edible lettuce varieties have been bred to be less bitter which = less active. But apparently if you bothered to extract from several kilos of fresh supermarket lettuce you would get a few doses. Probably even more if they were going to seed.

Around here, Lactuca serola is very common as a weed.

Iv got a gram of Lact. Seriola (scuse the spelling) opium extract but im clueless as to how to smoke the stuff. I got this peace pipe with a cone which i tryed to smoke it in but didnt work..

How do you guys use the resin?

i received some from herbalistics today and it is def quite active! I found 'spotting' on the stove to be very effective altho the smoke is very hot!

Guest onemind

I was about to order some wild lettuce on the net but after looking at some pictures of them, realized i had a ton of them growing as a weed in my yard. I started by cutting the heads of and the white gue oozed out the top but it would have taken forever to do it that way. I then ripped a few out of the ground, juiced the leaves, stems and roots in my juicer and got a cup full of dark green liquid. I put that liquid in a big tray and then put it in an open oven. About an hour later there was a dark green coating on the surface of the tray, i scraped that off and have a big tablespoon of dark black resin. I'll smoke some tonight after i get some work done and tell you how it was :)

Despite constantly repeating the same thing in many threads, people seem to ignore the simple facts to do with this plant, then complain it isn't working.

Commercial Lactuca varieties are not the same as Lactuca virosa or serriola.

Going out into your garden and ripping up plants to create a resin from is almost assuredly gonna end in failure (as can be seen if you read the nook thread), as has been said several times already, the plant needs to be in flower.

This is easily attestable to by the activity of Herbalistics product vs other so called Lactucarium products, afaik darcy harvests his material at the right time.

Again as can be seen in the nook thread, a liquid extract using a polar solvent (water/alcohol/acetone) is never going to be as effective as bleeding the latex containing parts of the plant and letting it dry. The product will contain many impurities and may not even be active at all.

And people complain when you say UTSE :rolleyes:

Edited by apothecary

Guest onemind

Well, for one, i'm not too concerned about this drug, was just playing around. My plants were in flower, big, juicy, and understand my resin is full of other stuff. Smoke it anyway and see what happens :)

Again as can be seen in the nook thread, a liquid extract using a polar solvent (water/alcohol/acetone) is never going to be as effective as bleeding the latex containing parts of the plant and letting it dry. The product will contain many impurities and may not even be active at all.

And people complain when you say UTSE :rolleyes:

Several years ago, 2003 maby, didnt one of our reliable members (tst, or gom, or you apo, hell somebody) find that water extracted L. virosa extract got back much of the lost potency after being dry, or like mildly desiccated, for several months?

I know... UTSE :P but its bed time so I stopped at one search :blush:

And if you are in Perth they are everywhere ;)

A lady down the road must have 100+ right out the front all are 3-4 foot high and have a heap of pods :bong:

I do hope you are not condoning the rape and pillage of poor old ladies gardens?

They will be so upset when they see all their lovely flowers missing they will probably have some kind of embolism :)

When they mature take a pod and grow your own

I do hope you are not condoning the rape and pillage of poor old ladies gardens?

They will be so upset when they see all their lovely flowers missing they will probably have some kind of embolism :)

When they mature take a pod and grow your own

I think it also is a very low act to take what is not rightfully yours. It's the stealing of pods etc. that brings things like the open growing of poppies into question with regular gardeners. So they stop growing them. How wonderful it would be if everyone could grow them openly withour risk of molestation by cops or robbers.

It's so easy to grow your own that it's downright counterproductive to steal someone elses. Not a good move in my opinion.

Guest onemind

Are you guys talking about opium poppies? Excuse my ignorance but i thought they were banned in oz? Are you saying a cop could drive past and arrest the little old lady?

If they are legal, where can you buy seeds?

You can't expect us to constantly answer your questions if you haven't at least made some attempt to answer it yourself.

The legality of poppy seed and where to purchase it has been covered many many times. As far as I know there have been no changes and any change would probably have a thread as soon as it happened.

Am I allowed to say UTFSE now?