The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
NeuroPharmer

Music Suggestions

Hey,

I have never listened to PsyTrance music before, and a couple (or more?) weeks ago I bought Rip van Hippy's 'Waking Up is Hard to Do' and Musica Discordia.

I listened to Rip van Hippy in the shop, and absolutely loved the first track, buying the CD on the basis that even if the rest were crap, that track would be worth it. Turns out the rest of the CD is generally awesome, although the first track remains my favourite. I especially love the electronic squelchy sound that reminds me very strongly of a Hendrixian wail. (I love Hendrix, Joplin, Cocker, etc.)

I couldn't listen to Musica Discordia, as the shop hadn't uploaded it onto their iPod yet... so I took a punt, thinking at the very least I would get an overview of world PsyTrance, and that it would be ultra-modern, whereas the Rip van Hippy is a '98 release. Long story short(er): this compilation is absolutely fantastic. I really dig this music, every single track. The sheer audio quality of it, the funk, the humour, the upbeatness, the depth, the way each track moves through a definite trajectory that we're all familiar with: the come-up, the peak, the come-down, but with enough intricacy and subtle variation to hold interest.

So anyway, my problem is where do I go from here? I tried Schizm on the iPod, but it really didn't grab me.. a little too 'messy'. I tried a few other albums but nothing jumped out at me there either... well maybe one... had a track called 'Fear No Goblin'... that was alright, had a strong and singular flavour throughout all the tracks on that CD though - a little samey. I also have like 5GB of music a friend gave me... Infected Mushroom is on there, as is Goa Gil (or Girl? It says Gil, but he's shockingly bad with the spelling) a live set from Goa - awesome, and I'll probably burn it as it's obviously not available for purchase (the guy lived in Goa for a while).

Any suggestions? I've tried review sites, but they're not so helpful at this stage, since I'm looking for comparisons with these two CDs that I own... all there weird jargon and genre-dropping still mean nothing to me, but I'm learning.

OK, enough rambling,

Thanks,

NP

Hello, im pretty new to Psy as well. I usually just go to Saikosounds.com and listen to stuff there.

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/

Look up Labels: Acidance, Parvati, 6 Dimension Soundz, SunDance.

theres some pretty good artists there.

Check out Infected Mushroom

I dont know alot of artist but a couple that have grabbed me are Mandalavandalz, and Ocelot. Shpongle are great too if you havent heard..

I find Infected Mushroom to be too well known and they've put too much cheese in there.. Just my opinion though..

There have been a few threads over the last couple of years where people have described and listed some of thier favorites. try a search and see what you come up with. (I think one of the recent threads was titled "Total Confusion")

I agree with Dodie, Shpongle is a winner although not your typical psy.

Psy isnt really my thing but if you ever get into trance/hardstep/electro/ambient let me know and I can shoot you some good names,

I should have mentioned that listening to online samples is not a huge possiblity... I have slow dial-up at home and the crafty buggers at uni have disabled sound on some fundamental level on all the lab computers.

I really like the Infected Mushroom that I have mp3s of, but it'll take some time to figure out which songs come from where (which albums), etc.

I had looked into other threads, but not knowing anything other than the two records I mentioned, I can't really follow anything. I.e., I don't know what any of these zany genre and style descriptions mean. I was really looking for people to suggest things by saying something like "If you like Musica Discordia, then you'll love X" or "Rip van Hippy is generally considered genre Y", etc.

AndyAmine: If you've got any music that isn't PsyTrance, but you suspect would float my boat, then please fire at will. Ambient sounds good... that's like Brian Eno, right?

My only source so far is Gooble Warming (I'm in Brisbane), so if anyone knows any other outlets, esp. where listening is possible, then please let me know as well.

OK, sorry if this is all a rehash of a common topic... once I find my feet I'll be able to find new stuff on my own.

Cheers,

A.

of late i have been listening to:

loopus in fabula 'fat ladies disco' , vibrasphere 'archipelego' ,schpongle, entheogenic, sensient 'pressure optimal, and crap loads of mp3s and a few personal favourites that are promos/unreleased.

also check out grapes of wrath 'tits on fire'

p.s mesq would be stoked to read ur digging musica discordia ...you have a great taste in music for someone who is relatively new to it all, however i havent heard any 'rip van hippy'

two of my favourite tunes

bliss - final cut

quadra - fiber optics

love huge build ups and massive breakdowns. these two fit that requirement.

www.filemp3.org has masses of psy for those that want to try before they buy.

p.s HERMITUDE :wub:

- Hallucinogen

- Fungus Funk

- Kindzadza

- Para halu

- Younger brother

- Winter Demon

These are just a few, but these few offer the best variations in psy i could offer you to explore the make your opinion on the music. A nice mix of ambient and dark for yo' ass.

Dark Soho - Combustion and also The Delta - Schizoeffective are a couple of good ones to add to the list.

Parasense...

and if you are looking for music online, check out pondscum and legohead (two of my all time favourites)

Parasense...
Funny you should mention that, I just finished listening to all three albums :lol:

If only I could find somewhere to buy the originals of Apple and Avangaro.. :wub:

ooooh

eat static - egypt

is worth a download. pretty sure its a remix of a 1200 mics song. i like the arabic feel to it.

Just a quick note to say thanks for all the replies, especially given that this is a much asked question.

Uni's kicking my butt at the moment, but I'll grab all your suggestions and get started on discovering more awesome music in am onth or so.

Thanks guys,

NP

For some mind bending, consciousness expanding, spiritually elevating and divinely revelatory psytrance might i suggest a healthy dose of Electric Universe - Cosmic Experience, Electric Universe - Silence In Action, Space Tribe - Thru The Looking Glass, Space Tribe - Timestretch, Space Tribe Music - Colour Saturation, and Electric Space Phenomenon a collaboration between Electric Universe and Space Tribe.

This flavour of psy is not very everyone, as it is quite rediculously high frequency, but will provide the listener with a plethora of divinely cosmic experiences. So if you like your psytrance to elevate and expand your consciousness to the infinite and instill a sense of rememberance, divinity, sacredness and revelation then this is for you.

Enjoy. :bong::lol:

Love and Light Always.

KRUMELUR!!!!!!

WORD!

ive been listening to Krumelur a lot of late... have met a few people over here (sweden) that reckon malmo is the place to be, if ur in sweden and into alternative stuff. Ive seen and heard some good stuff coming out of there, but alas Krumelur is in Australia cranking it out. (perhaps ill catchim newyearsish)

also been listening to salakalava (sp). They are finnish, and have releases on faery dragon, including the faery dragon compilation that IZWOZ did the artwork for. (yay for B&K)

If your into the suomi sound check out salakalava, i was first introduced to them by MESQ, so they must be good. hehehe

Ive seen space tribe live countless times (and countless variations therin). Along with the digital psionics guys, id say Spacetribe LIVE is a quintessential nrthn nsw pytrance experience!

however, enjoying things live and on the dancefloor is a lot different to choosing to listen to released music elsewhere.. and for some reason ive never had a spacetribe experience outside of the doof arena.

the two albums of Hallucinogen are, in my opinion, absolutely essential if you are interested in

psychedelic trance : TWISTED and THE LONE DERANGER, i think that's only Hallucinogen who managed to capture the "fluorescent sounds" of a mushroom trip...

Astral Projection (for example "in the mix" are a must listen too.

My personal favorite is a new nameon the psy scene: TIKAL, there are two albums. Both are on my top ten.

I am listening Goa-psy-trance (whatever you want to call it) since 11 years, been to raves especialy in Japan festivals and it is still my favorite music, well the one that put me in another dimension without helping of magic plants...

Why confine "Psy-trance" to the expected genre pigeonhole ? Early Pink Floyd is both psychedelic and trance-inducing. As is TOOL, Steve Hillage, Ozric Tentacles, Cream, Hawkwind, KC and so much more.

He says, he does, as a mere 35 year old listening to Shpongle's "nothing lasts..." CD with glee for the 6th time :) Go Raja if you want some nice psy groove, it's a masterpiece.

I think Aphex Twin might help in floating the boat. I don't exactly know what genre it would fall into, its kind of like experimental ambient electronica and worth a look. A lot of it is quite old but way ahead of its time.

One of my fav psychedelic albums is Screamadelica by Primal Scream but I think it is psychedelic for different reasons than the sounds, its more the journey from start to finish.

i dont have as much music as id like

so i try not to listen to it normally

thus when in te zone its so much more special

i got musica discordia as well and was very impressed

if such a thing exists its has the SEqld sound ive been craving

i still havent heard much from mesq, early days yet

but at least i know he has good taste in influences

been at many a party when something special comes forth from the dancefloor and the people round the campfire look at one another with a glint of recognition and laugh/applaud

i dont know the names, or the descriptors, but i know what sounds for

some good recent morning full-on:

fatali - dawn

koxbox - u-turn

protoculture - circadiens

space buddha - Full circle

Interesting acts for those wanting less digital sounds:

Highlight tribe - limboland <- acoustic trance

Charlie mcmahon <- tekno-didj

:) m.

I'm sure theres been some really good suggestions so far psy wise but if you want to jump straight into the deep end check out the suomi stuff, texas faggot, squaremeat, haltya and many more