The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Gollum

Maccas is crap

I just want to share a very unpleasent experience with you all. This afternoon i went to macdonalds for a cheeseburger meal i boy am i regretting it.

I havent eaten maccas for at least 2 months and now i remember why. Even before i finished my burger i started to get the sweats, which have since progressed into stomach cramps a rapid heartbeat and genarally feeling shite and depressed. How the fuck can food do all that to you. Maccas is evil!!!!

I have been eating really healthy the last couple of weeks.Eating heaps of salad, fish and lean meat and have been feeling really good with heaps of energy to burn. I have also stopped smoking pot and im lovin it. So much more motivated and my mind is clear. But after eating that god awful crap this afternoon i have been really negative and depressed. If i feel like this after 1 meal i cant even imagine how Morgan Spurlock( maker of "Supersize Me" must have felt after a month of it.

Thats the last time i go to Mc Crap ever! I would rather eat steaming goat shit that put that crap into my system again!! :puke:

Thanks. :rolleyes: Now im off to the crapper!!

Edited by Gollum

I just want to share a very unpleasent experience with you all. This afternoon i went to macdonalds for a cheeseburger meal i boy am i regretting it.

I havent eaten maccas for at least 2 months and now i remember why. Even before i finished my burger i started to get the sweats, which have since progressed into stomach cramps a rapid heartbeat and genarally feeling shite and depressed. How the fuck can food do all that to you. Maccas is evil!!!!

I have been eating really healthy the last couple of weeks.Eating heaps of salad, fish and lean meat and have been feeling really good with heaps of energy to burn. I have also stopped smoking pot and im lovin it. So much more motivated and my mind is clear. But after eating that god awful crap this afternoon i have been really negative and depressed. If i feel like this after 1 meal i cant even imagine how Morgan Spurlock( maker of "Supersize Me" must have felt after a month of it.

Thats the last time i go to Mc Crap ever! I would rather eat steaming goat shit that put that crap into my system again!! :puke:

Thanks. :rolleyes: Now im off to the crapper!!

Last time I ate MacDonalds was in November 2004 in Melbourne when I was taken there by others and not of my own accord. Before that was back in 2001.

I boycott it not just because the food is rubbish, but because it represents absolutely crappy value for money.

The size of the burgers has shrunk so much that a large burger they produce pales in comparison to what it once bought, back in the eighties I remember a Big Mac was quite OK as a portion. Nowadays its a small burger.

I still eat Hungry Jacks from time to time, and buy those on the vouchers they send. A large burger is a large burger and tastes like a burger. Not only that, but you get quite good value for money in my opinion.

It's probably still better to avoid all these, but MacDonalds has been on a slide for a long time. They're desperate to build some credibility with new menus etc. but it's just the same shit, with a different smell.

Yeah not to mention the way they target young kids with their happy err...sorry, crappy meals with small toys. :angry:

i still eat there once in a while, however after eating there i always draw up some mucus, which never happens with any other place apart from some chinese take aways... what upsets me is that they get away with false advertising, and somehow get away with it.

so what you have to do is as followes.

you order and than you talk out loudly so most people can hear you, "i ordered what is up there at the advertising, but you gave me a version which looks not halve as good as the one up there"!

i want one that looks exactly like the one advertised.

than they say it's only a serving suggestion or so, but quite frankly they are con artists.

i still eat there once in a while, however after eating there i always draw up some mucus, which never happens with any other place apart from some chinese take aways... what upsets me is that they get away with false advertising, and somehow get away with it.

so what you have to do is as followes.

you order and than you talk out loudly so most people can hear you, "i ordered what is up there at the advertising, but you gave me a version which looks not halve as good as the one up there"!

i want one that looks exactly like the one advertised.

than they say it's only a serving suggestion or so, but quite frankly they are con artists.

Hehe. I know what you mean. You couldn't do this twice at the same restaurant otherwise you'd get possibly some unexpected ingredients in your burger.

A long time ago when we went to the movies with friends we'd be fairly hungry and McDonalds was an easy way to get an unlimited feed. What we'd do is eat 3/4 of the burger and take a small fragment of the burger back to the counter and complain that it had a 'metallic taste' or was 'too oily' or 'not enough lettuce' or 'too salty' or 'buns are too toasted' or 'not toasted enough' etc. It doesn't matter what you say but they are practically obligated to replace it with another.

After you'd finished your burger you'd eat most of the fries then take them back and say 'too salty' or 'not salty enough' or 'had gone cold' or 'soggy' or 'too crisp' etc. They'd give you a new one.

So you could double your meal quite easily, but you could quite easily go for a third burger if you ate only half the second or so and complained again.

The only risk you run, is that if you can't see them making the burger that they give you one of those mucousy type sauces the youngsters working in the shop very often have hanging in their sinuses.

It's important NEVER to let them make a burger for you specially. Just ask for a replacement one from the pantry saying you expect every burger they make to be perfect.

I mean think about it. The place is full of teens. They serve millions of burgers a day. Even if you put a small probability to it; of a burger that has been spat in or pissed on etc. there is a very real risk that someone is going to get a burger like that if you eat there long enough.

If you try some of these strategies then you can expect something of this sort I'm sure.

Something to think about ;)

Edited by sobriquet

If I fill up on Maccas I usually feel sick in the stomach and I get aches in my legs. Also the rest of the day/evening I get similar depression and that feeling like I have just eaten styrofoam.

The worst for me is Hungry Jacks. I used to love HJ's and eat there frequently (mainly because of the 2 for 1 burger vouchers and my student budget). Anyway, every now and then about an hour after eating a whopper, I would get sick. I would end up throwing up, getting a mild fever, but would be feeling better by the next morning.

At first I just figured it was a coincidence, but the strange thing is it started to happen more and more frequently.

I guess I was pretty stupid to continue eating there but I was pretty sceptical that it could have been just their burgers responsible, especially considering no-one else I ever dined there with or discussed it with had ever had or heard of similar problems.

I even started chewing the burgers to fine powder before swallowing in anticipation of the spew - to try and prevent that throat tearing chunk spew that the HJ burgers always seemed to generate when they would make me sick.

Eventually it got to the point where I would only eat there very rarely, and that's when it became really obvious - I started getting sick 1 out of every 3 times I was silly enough to eat there.

My body now knows it as a poison, and much like some over abused Alcoholic beverages, the smell of HJ alone makes me feel sick. I don't know if it is reasonable, but the feeling I get when I smell or think of a HJ burger now is that of utter garbage that is harmful.

I haven't had a similar reoccurring problem with any other food, with the exception of some take-away Chinese. But Chinese takeaway has made me sick about 3 times in my life and I eat it a lot. Never had it from Maccas yet, but yeah, Maccas is dirty in it's own chemically treated cardboard way, however the smell/taste still somehow appeals to me on occasions, even though I surely will eventually regret eating it.

It pisses me that around here there is shit all that you can grab if you need a real quick feed. All the 'fast' food is absolute crap. Subway would be OK if it wasn't for the appalling hygiene they have at our local joint. Good independent burger take-away stores pop up randomly around here but never seem to be able to sustain the quality they start out with and eventually go out of business. I guess the fast food franchises play a major part in that.

Edited by Pelinster

If I fill up on Maccas I usually feel sick in the stomach and I get aches in my legs. Also the rest of the day/evening I get similar depression and that feeling like I have just eaten styrofoam.

The worst for me is Hungry Jacks. I used to love HJ's and eat there frequently (mainly because of the 2 for 1 burger vouchers and my student budget). Anyway, every now and then about an hour after eating a whopper, I would get sick. I would end up throwing up, getting a mild fever, but would be feeling better by the next morning.

If it was consistently from the same restaurant then it's possible their hygiene was lower. These restaurants are private franchises and there is definitely variability amongst restaurants. There's some I know I'd never go to because of the sloppy and hurried preparation.

The best times are 30 mins prior to the rush times of lunch and dinner. That's when you get the best stuff, with the freshest salads and well cooked components, and unhurried assembly. It's the rush times that you see some atrocious stuff coming through.

But yeah, avoid them all. Subways people wear gloves which they touch everything including non-food items like oven doors and drinks fridges and then go back to food prep. In my vegetarian moods I'll make them take off their gloves if I've seen them touch one of the meats especially chicken which is poison uncooked.

I mean you pay your money and you take your chances. But food poisoning is all too common.

My worst ever food poisoning occurred from a hospital tuckshop in Sydney. Late at night visiting a friend I picked up a chicken sandwich and bit into it getting a strange powdery but somewhat cheesy meat that crumbled into one's mouth with a very uncooked type taste. The smell you get if you put a chicken into the boiling pot for a few minutes only. I don't know how I got it down but I washed it down with some diet Coke (which I don't touch at all nowadays) which is indispensable as a degreaser for the mouth.

The next morning I went to work and while walking down corridors I had an incredibly woolly feeling throuhg my head and dizziness. Fever was coming on and I felt horrible. I asked to lay down a little on a couch and after 10 minutes I wasn't getting better but much worse. My head was spinning and I had nausea like I'd never known before.

It was as if I'd had cancer chemotherapy and the feeling was so utterly obnoxious that I would have chosen to die on the spot than put up with it anymore. It lasted 18 hours with vomiting and diarrhoea and intense nausea.

Have never bought a sandwich from a food outlet ever again, especially chicken. The thought of it makes my stomach turn.

I'd really be more concerned about the preservatives and other chemicals in the food than food poisoning, although that does suck too at least it's not guaranteed to be part of the experience.

A couple weeks ago someone was telling me about her son's school science project, which involved things from maccas' 'healthy choices' menu. He bought a selection of sandwiches from them and duplicated them with "real" ingredients from the store. Then he put them all in their own jars and left them there for a few weeks. The real sandwiches grew all kinds of colourful fuzz and the 'healthy choices' sandwiches stayed exactly the same, in pristine condition. That seems way more scary to me than the actual nutritional content of the things, since even if they're high in fat and sugar at least fat and sugar are supposed to be in food.

Looking at their ingredients lists, preservative 282 features in all their breads except one, which they use to make cheese and tomato sandwiches. This preservative seems to have become famous lately, with Bakers Delight proudly proclaiming they don't use it in anything, for example, and depending on what you read it has an impressive range of bad things it can do to you. Cardboard boxes must be better.

Edited by antecedent

Yeah maccas and BK are terrible, both have given me strange feelings that hint at added chemical components to get one hooked. Even subway has put me off for that same glove reason mentioned, and the high prices. Now when I want fast food I get some pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and almonds, mix in a ziplock baggie and wallah! No lethargy or sickness and these days my eyes seem brighter too :wink: Thanx to Bacchus for the almond idea too, it really adds to it to make it feel like a real meal, and settles my stomach acid problems wonderfully

The real sandwiches grew all kinds of colourful fuzz and the 'healthy choices' sandwiches stayed exactly the same, in pristine condition.

That's what got me off too.

I'm extremely absent minded. When in the 'code zone' I will eat meals and leave the plate or packaging or whatever on the floor behind me (don't wanna lose that train of thought!). Depending on the size of the project I might not remove the plates for several days.

I recall I had come out of the haze of a coding frenzy for some website or another, and decided to clean up my room. I noticed all the plates that still had little bits of rice or bread or whatever were all growing mold.

Then I noticed the remains of a McChicken. It must have been at least four days old, but it looked like it was made an hour ago, except for the complete and utter moisture loss.

lol.

Mold grows on bathroom walls for cripes sake. If there isn't enough nutrients in maccas (or maybe there is too much preservative?) to support something as simple as mold, what do you think it'd do to YOUR insides? :P

Haven't eaten anything from there since.

I tried to eat KFC not long ago, a total waste of $8 I threw it all away after the first bite.

Here is my budget food list that keeps me going on nightshifts or code sessions now. Convenience, price and NUTRITION are the only factors I bother considering now.

1. "Fruitful" brand juice. This stuff is the BOMB. It costs $4/L for REAL fruit juice. 99%, not concentrate, not derivatives or whatever, just juice.

Each bottle incl plenty of Vit C (several daily doses worth, although I usually drink 1 bottle a day lol).

The best bit about these juices is, they add HERBS.

I have 'kickstart' right now, banana, blueberry, apple juice with guarana, gingko and ginseng. Perfect mild caffeine hit for studying.

(there are plenty of other cool fruit/herb combos these guys sell).

This juice will last all day. Don't drink it after dinner because juice can rot your teeth without saliva stimulation.

2. Almonds/Walnuts/Poppyseed/Dried apple/Dried apricot combo. 1 pack of each combined should last a week.

3. Craploads of fruit.

4. Tuna. Some good flavours around these days for not expensive lemongrass and pepper, sundried tomato, etc. Just keep in mind sodium content of canned foods!

5. Hummus. Pick the one with the least number of ingredients on the pack!

6. Bread. They put preservatives in bread because they slice it. Go to bakers delight. Might cost you a little bit more, but you can ask for preservative free, FRESH bread, in many different styles, often including some seeds and stuff (Rodini with mustard and poppyseed is my fav).

Last you all day.

7. Sprouts. Sprouts are better than the seeds they came from because all the enzymes stored in the embryo have been activated.

$3 of onion/alfalfa/mung bean sprouts will last you a week.

So on and so forth. Note these are not 'meal' suggestions, rather fast/convenient food suggestions to replace the situations youd be hitting the Mc.

Some awesome info getting posted in here! I almost ate Maccas last night as it is the only food place still open here after 10:30, but I ended up going to the servo when I walked in there and was told that they don't serve Deli Choices after 9:00pm now! I have gotten them there that late before, wonder when they brought that policy in. Actually I am glad I didn't after reading about the Deli Choice sandwich experiment in here, I honestly thought that they would be at least better for you than the burgers but obviously it is just a farce.

If it was consistently from the same restaurant then it's possible their hygiene was lower.

I should have mentioned that. It wasn't the same vestural. It was vestural locally, in other towns. Of course I assumed the same thing and started eating at the HJ's across the other side of town once the pattern apparent which at first seemed to make a difference but it sure made up for it by doing it to me twice in a row and eventually giving me the 'it's poison' sensation.

6. Bread. They put preservatives in bread because they slice it. Go to bakers delight. Might cost you a little bit more, but you can ask for preservative free, FRESH bread, in many different styles, often including some seeds and stuff (Rodini with mustard and poppyseed is my fav).

Good suggestions apo - except this one. Bakers Delight bread should never be paid for. Most Bakers Delight stores that I have investigated dispose of huge quantities of bread every day. They put it neatly into clean black garbage bags. Check the bins after the store closes and everyone goes home.

After a few times of raiding the bins and being a complete glutton, you will realise that nearly all Bakers Delight products consist of cheap shitty fluffy white crap. And then you will find a high quality local organic baker, or you will learn how to make your own bread - which is really easy and quite fun.

Lets not forget their motto "I'm Lovin' It" :huh: Who exactly is lovin it????? Its quite clear no one hear is lovin it!!! :P

Good call with making your own bread Creach. I make my own bread with my fancy little breville breadmaker. You can make some really nice loaves too. Herb bread with home grown herbs, fruit loaf with cinnamon. Yum. You can even prep it all before you go to bed, set the timer and you wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread. Simple.

Edited by Gollum

Homemade/small bakery bread is of course the saner option.

Even the "wholemeal" made out of crappy stuff? Tastes ok and I don't feel weird after eating it?

Even the "wholemeal" made out of crappy stuff? Tastes ok and I don't feel weird after eating it?

Yeah the wholemeal is reasonable and I will eat it at a pinch

At the moment I am getting an endless supply of possibly the best bread in existance - from Abhi's bakery in south fremantle. My housemate is running a soup kitchen and Abhi's donates all their leftovers - we get the leftovers from that :). So perhaps I'm spoilt.