The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
strangebrew

Dead Man on SBS - tonight 10.00

There's been a Jim Jarmusch festival on SBS lately and on tonight, the 16th, is his best - Dead Man. It's probably the trippiest western you'll ever see.

dont know if it is the trippiest western there is but definately a good film

i love his earlier films liek down by law and night on earth, coffee as cigarettes is good as well but i havnt seen the new one, just the short films before he made it into a feature.

but great i will be watching dad man havent seen it in a while, plus it has johnny depp who is a great actor and the cameo if iggy pop is a classic :D

Probably more of a stoner film really because it's slow like Easy Rider but I love it all the same. I grew to love Ghost Dog too, I found Coffee & Cigarettes a bit disappointing but it had it's moments. I guess these 2 will probably be on in the next couple of weeks.

Arggh I've been wanting to watch this for ages

everytime I try and watch it something goes wrong.

The first time the police came around for a visit

the second time the dvd didn't work

and now I don't have a tv

:BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2:

Strangbrew>>It's probably the trippiest western you'll ever see.

If you like the genre you should definitely check out Alejandro Jodorowsky's El Topo

Quote:

El Topo (The Mole) is a 1970 allegorical, cult western movie and underground film, directed by and starring Alejandro Jodorowsky. Characterized by its bizarre characters and occurrences, use of maimed and dwarf performers, and heavy doses of Christian symbolism and Eastern philosophy, the film is about the eponymous character - a violent, black-clad gunfighter - and his quest for enlightenment.

El Topo - wiki

Thanks for the tip mate will definetely tape it!

Have you seen Blueberry??

If you like the genre you should definitely check out Alejandro Jodorowsky's El Topo

You beat me to it! Damn, that is one weird film.

That guy was gonna make a version of Frank Herbert's Dune at one stage, with HR Giger doing some art direction and (I think, from memory) Pink Floyd doing the soundtrack. Pity it fell through. Still we have David Lynch's flawed masterpiece...please David, do a director's cut!

I found deadman to be incredibally reminiscent of some of my more 'dreamy' mescaline experiences..

Sophie and i have been having some of the weirdest johnny depp catalysed synchronicities of late... I swear that guy KNOWS WHERE ITS AT more then any other actor ive some into contact with..

One day there will be a 'church of depp', where people go to experience what TRUE acting is all about,a nd to partake of the sacred sacrament of Pirates of the carribean :wub:

But yeah, Dead man rocks... and what an eerie and 'trippy' soundtrck...

No, I've never managed to catch it unfortunately, I know SBS did show it a couple of times but I have seen "The Holy Mountain" & "Santa Sangre" by Jodorowsky. Let's just say the man is "unique". :lol:

yeah Jodorowsky is a great filmaker. as is jim jarmusch :D

we shoudl haev more film talk here and yes blueberry is a pretty dam trippy western.

i remmeber when neil young did the soundtrack he played non stop throughout the whoel film and they took that as a basis for the soundtrack which is pretty cool, i think he did some piano overdubs over the guitar track

Still we have David Lynch's flawed masterpiece...please David, do a director's cut!
"flawed" is right, any film that starts "know this..." & then gives you a 5 minute monologue so you might have a vague idea ov what's going on, aint gonna cut the mustard.

still it's a good film to watch tripping..

"travelling without moving" "the spice is life"

after watching dead man again after being about 10 yuears since i last saw it, i found the film to resonate with me greatly

i thouroughly enjoyed it more than when i first saw it i reckon, it is a well made higly stylised film with great performances by all the cast.

and i can see the influence of this film on other films, like blueberry and the proposition.

anyway

thanks for the word about it being on :D

Still we have David Lynch's flawed masterpiece...please David, do a director's cut!

There is an extended edition DVD, I bought it for my sister a couple of christmasses ago.

I think it's an extra hour or something of footage, with a lot more intro and narration.

-bumpy

Just thought I'd chime for no particular reason other than I think Dead Man is an awesome film!

For some reason the early scenes with the engineer stick in my mind. Especially the lines that go something like:

Engineer: "She (Blake's fiancee) found somebody else"

Blake: "No, no she didn't"

Eng. (emphatically; a little hurt): "Yes. She did."

Spine-tingly.

A working knowledge of Blakean theology/philosophy adds a whole other dimension to the film... although it doesn't look as though it was written from that angle by any means.

If you have it on DVD, watch Depp in the early Machine scenes and then in the Trading Post scenes... stark transformation... yet it creeps up on you throughout... neat.

OK,

NP.

Anyone catch " Stranger than paradise." the other night ? I just love Jarmusch .